Beer Budgeting...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TastyAdventure, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I envy your lifestyle.

AlaskanYoung likes this.
  2. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (715) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

I try to keep it around $40-$50 per week. Usually a 12 pack and a couple bombers.

3. I've always found it easier to work harder than to spend less. So although I try to keep a $20 or so a week, that's busted often by an order of magnitude.

4. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Massachusetts Mar 31, 2009

Kid fed? Check. Bills paid? Check. Wife's wine? Check. Any $$ left? BEER FUND

williamjbauer likes this.
  5. Jfriz25

Jfriz25 Savant (295) Wisconsin Jun 8, 2012

We're in the middle of saving for a house so my "real" money beer budget is around $50/month. I also give plasma two weeks a month which gets me another $100. I will gladly trade my blood for a couple hours peace and quiet away from the kids and an extra $100 in guilt free beer money.

It's also flexible unfortunately (for my budget) because if I came across a case of Cherry Rye, ect tomorrow, it would all be coming home with me.

6. semaj

semaj Savant (260) Florida Jan 18, 2013

I think you win by selling your actual blood for money. I'm going to start doing that for my beer fund.

7. TheGoldsmith

TheGoldsmith Zealot (80) Missouri Jan 20, 2013

I usually give myself a $20-$40 limit when I go to the store, but once I get there I usually piss it all and more away for over-zealousness.

That being said I have recently started donating (selling) plasma again, and have started funneling this money straight into beer buying and home brewing. $20 for one visit a week, $50 or so for two, which can, if not eliminate, at least cut a considerable chunk from the damage it does to my paycheck. Completely expendable income.

8. If I go over my W2, I know I messed up.

9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I work a lot. So on my days off if I go shopping instead of picking through the cellar, my budget depends entirely on my shops. If they have a special release I want I will buy it. If not maybe a mix a six. Or even snpa. I've walked out spending 15$ and I have walked out around 300+$. The latter is rare but it does happen.

10. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

I have become serious about $ 50/ week.

11. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

this comment is disturbing in so many ways.

:confused::eek::rolleyes:o_O:(

12. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I've got 3 kids, all 9 years old and under. Mortgage, childcare, kids' athletics & college funds, etc. Not much left over for beer. Usually, I average $10 - $15 per week (I justify it by never getting takeout coffee, breakfast, or lunch).

I never buy bombers, even though I'd like to. Most are just uneconomical...my wife doesn't drink beer & I usually don't want to drink 22 oz (or 750 ml) of beer at once. I really get disappointed to hear about a beer that I'd like to try, only to find out it doesn't come in a 4 or 6 pack. And going to a bar/brewpub...maybe a few times a year.

Let's face it...beer's a luxury (a damn good one, though).

13. LMT

LMT Savant (340) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Even though I love spending time with my kids, I can't deny that I've often felt like this. Great post!

14. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

3 six-packs and a few singles per week. I'm pretty consistent about this. Seasonals sometimes cause an increase.

15. My amazing wife lets me drop $200-400 every 2-3 months on beer. We live in WV so we have to leave the state to get most of our quality brews. Usually get 12 bombers that can be aged in the cellar as many big ipas and stouts with a few other ales and lagers.

16. bb8189

bb8189 Savant (270) Ohio Sep 25, 2008

I spend somewhere near $25 a week on everyday stuff. I'll pick up a 6 of Two Hearted (or something similar) to sip on throughout the week and see if anything else looks interesting.

But then if something special comes out (BA Blackout at ~$190 per case) or I decide to make a trade, I spend what it takes. Fortunately I get a deal on shipping through work.....25lbs from Ohio to Oregon 2nd Day Air for $12? Yes, please!

The big dollar purchases sometimes get the wife's attention.....I'll get that look that says "really!? $200 on beer?". But then I point out that I haven't bought new shoes or clothes in like a year and she gets real quiet.

17. part of me is shocked at how much some of you guys spend- the other part of me remembers all too well how quick I burned through my own $$$ a while back.

Protip: If you're spending more than $30 a week on beer, I'd suggest socking some of that $ away in a beer-travel-fund. Make plans for GABF 2014, or Oktoberfest, or a few days in belgium, or Younger release next year. It'll be worth it.

TastyAdventure and phingdong like this.
  18. I'm typically around $20-$25 a week. Usually I'll hit the store on Friday after work and pick up anywhere from 8-12 12 oz bottles, usually in the form of 4- or 6-packs.

My wife and I have a joint account, but also kept separate checking accounts for our own stuff - in my case, mostly beer money, but also bike supplies, etc. So she doesn't care how much I'm spending on my hobbies cause it doesn't really affect her.

I also have a small savings account that I put a few bucks in every week and use that to defray the costs of one offs/special-releases and the like that would usually kill my weekly budget with a single bottle.

19. jdhende

jdhende Savant (355) Illinois Sep 27, 2010

Like others have posted I pick and choose how to treat myself with my spending.

The last few months I have been bringing my lunch almost exclusively to work. Saves me a good amount of money.

Also I never buy coffee in the morning. I just make it at home. It's a few bucks here and there, but it can add up.

I enjoy both of those things, but by not doing them it saves me easily a $100 a month to spend on beer. Also if i'm going to a release or a big event is coming up I try and plan ahead. Key word try. Like all the rest of you I far too often go over my budget, but i'm at least trying to be cognizant of my spending.

20. Completely agree with Shogo on this. A recent trip out for Younger@RR and SF beer week was more than worth it. Not just for the great beer, but more for the experiences, settings, and everything else that goes with it. Highly recommended if you can sock away the funds in your budget. Perhaps cut back on trading and limited release stuff and watch how fast the dough adds up (easier said than done).

21. juliusseizure

juliusseizure Savant (420) New York Feb 11, 2009

Every time I go to buy beer I role play and pretend to be a Congressman, suddenly I have money to spend that I didn't have a minute ago. It's amazing. You should try it.