1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Class Advice

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Tomlin091744, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Tomlin091744

Tomlin091744 Aficionado (195) Texas Jun 16, 2008

So, i am giving my first beer class today, to my staff. Going to cover the beer basics, brewing, styles, vocab, abv, and such. Would appreciate any advice from the BA's out there.
  2. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Savant (490) Texas Jan 20, 2010

If you're a store manager, have them all get a BA account.
    BeerHunter76 and ShameAndFailure like this.
  3. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Start with Session Beers then go to stronger beers. Distinguish Imperial from not as the imperials focus in on a taste in the beer and bring it forward with power. Distinguish English IPA from American IPA, East and West Coast IPA's. Also distinguish porters from stouts, as well as the imperial russian v american. Also distinguish Barrel Aged from non. Also highlight limited releases and that craft beer lovers go after those the most! Wish you the best.
  4. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

What store type? Customer base? What areas do you find lacking in their knowledge compared to what you believe they should have? Are those gaps really what they need to know? Specify your training objectives and measure progress.
  5. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

6. Tomlin091744

Tomlin091744 Aficionado (195) Texas Jun 16, 2008

Just took the CBS for Cicerone. Working on my certified cicerone currently. This is going to be a basic beer class to help them serve better beer, communicate with guests, and improve their knowledge. This is the first class ive ever done, so im trying to make sure i cover all my bases. This class is for bartenders and cocktail servers, anything yall would like me to cover?
  7. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (540) Texas Apr 26, 2007

I think basic knowledge of beer styles and their respective characteristics is the most important thing. Make sure they have a chance to sample the products they'll be selling and help them understand the factors that go into creating the flavors they're detecting (flavor characteristics of hops, yeast, malt).
    champ103 likes this.
  8. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Definitely cover the basic styles, differences between lagers and ales. Just general stuff, unless you are the Hay Merchant, Saucer, or Petrol the bartenders don't need to know every single thing. Though knowing the difference between pales, IPA, hefe, and pilz goes a long way. Also knowledge of any Texas breweries you have available. Like location, and have them be able to make recommendations to the uninformed costumers at the bar. From your profile, I assume this is for Little Woodrow's?
  9. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

This. Keep it targeted to your needs. Focus on major differences between styles and don't forget other things such as how to properly poor, the importance of an updated (and correct) beer listing, and how to lead craft options without coming off as pushy. Those things and a customer focused attitude goes a long way even without the detailed beer knowledge.

I would also recommend as few basics on food/beer parings if you serve food to help drive sales.
    champ103 likes this.