1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Company with the least & most professional-looking labels?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jake351, May 27, 2012.

1. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Savant (345) New York Feb 21, 2011

Best? Kuhnhenn. [/thread] Some honorable mentions, though…

• Bullfrog
    • Cantillon
    • Fantôme (only on occasion, though…)
    • Molen
    • Struise

Worst? Midnight Sun.

The most "credible"? Hill Farmstead & Maine Beer (+ Southampton's special releases)

The most pretentious? The Bruery & Goose Island

2. BOBPINCH666

+ Allagash Coolship(s)!

daryk77 likes this.
  3. DSho

DSho Aficionado (185) Florida Sep 6, 2011

Agree with all those, love HF labels! I'm a big fan of most of the Upright labels.

4. BOBPINCH666

Woops! I almost forgot… NEW 3F LABELS (e.g. Papyrus…)

HopsJunkiedotcom and Etan like this.
  5. Understated/Awesome: Deschutes Reserve series
    Classic/Nostalgic: Sierra Nevada and Anchor
    Coolest Theme: Stone gargoyles
    Ugly: Coney Island/Hebrew, Lost Coast

6. My favorite labels are from Cantillon. Least favorite? Central Waters, but the beer is so damn good!

7. TaxDork

TaxDork Aficionado (105) California Jan 18, 2010

I totally agree on Lost Coast, I've always found their style kinda embarrassing.

I've always been a big fan of North Coast's labels though. No central art style, but they always make something that cleanly matches the style of the beer.

8. The Brooklyn 750ml bottles and Narragansett's cans are great. Hill Farmstead's packaging is one of my favorites too. I like presentation and consistency across the whole brand. Those Half-Acre lables look more like album artwork than an identifiable brand.

The worst ones are definitely from Russian River. I can't really tell if they are a joke or not though. Short's and Weyerbacher are terrible too.

9. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

My favorite looking labels are Bud Kiing of Beers, Papst Blue Ribbon and Anderson Valley.

Red Hook's are so dull and boring. I don't really care for Flying Dog. Love the attempt to use authentic artwork but that artwork just isn't pleasing to my eye. Looks like a very disturbing and upsetting bad acid trip and the names are always gimmicky.

tobelerone and DJFairhurst like this.
  10. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Goose Island labels are awesome but my favorite are Jolly Pumpkin. I save 1 empty of each bottle and have them displayed on the shelf because they look like pieces of art sitting there.

11. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Worst labels from around here in my opinion are Lazy Boy.
    They sure would do a lot to improve their image if they got rid of that little shit on their bottles.

Most artistic: Snoqualmie

libbey and checktherhyme like this.
  12. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

I love Hill Farmstead -- they're very clean, minimal, bold, well-designed, and appealing. I like whatever silkily matte paper they use for the label, too. Whatever designer came up with their labels deserves an award.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

[​IMG]

I think the 8 Wired labels look good too. I purchased the iStout simply because it looked badass.

14. beerme411

beerme411 Savant (360) California Sep 28, 2010

I've only had 1 JP Noel de Calabaza I bought it half because I wanted to try Jolly Pumpkin and half becuase of the jack'o lantern in a santa hat. I have the empty bottle sitting on a shelf its the only bottle I've kept I'll get a La parcela in the fall

15. tewaris

tewaris Advocate (595) Minnesota Jul 14, 2009

Q U
    A D

gustogasmic and FriarTuckInLuck like this.
  16. 3Floyds and Dark Horse could use better glue...does that count for worst quality when they fall off the bottles?...unless you homebrew, of course.

17. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

nice topic for a lazy day. here are our pics.

Worst looking labels: Ithaca. yeah, it's not cool to shit the local, but i'm sorry, their "Spirit of The Finger Lakes" face is clearly the result of a a well meaning spouse. creepy too.
    Most professional: Anchor.
    Best Pin-up art: agreed. Middle Ages Double Wench. twice the tits as Wailing Wench. i like tits. you?
    Most embarassing beer to bring home to have your wife see: Suz is, at this point, un-embarassable. see above. maybe.
    Best Comic Book art: He'Brew. Sword Swallower? Coney Island? these are classics. not bad beer either.

Cheers.

suspect likes this.
  18. Best: Bruery, Goose Island, Adirondack, FW, Southampton, White Birch, DFH
    Worst: Hoppin' Frog, Stone, Rogue, RR, St. Arnold, Weyerbacher, Harpoon (all great brewery's... just horrible art work!)

Jake351 likes this.
  19. Labels that are "Most likely to look like the interior illustrations of the 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual: ->Stone Brewing" (Love their beer, obviously)

"Beautiful labels that are Paperless, but part of the Bottles"-Mystic brewery (I don't want to throw out the bottle when I'm done, those of you who have seen this will know!)

20. Laziest bottlecap/logo design: Green Flash

Stillwater has some pretty cool looking labels

21. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (210) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

Pipeworks and green flash have some bad ass labels and old boys kinda suck

22. I'll just mention New England Brewing because just like my homebrew labels, I like em stupid and funny.

23. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (435) California Dec 21, 2011

I love labels that use some imagination. 3 Floyd's and Flying Dog both have awesome labels. My favorite label all time is still Dark Lord.

24. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (345) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

Def some of the best picking up some Daisy Cutter today

25. Good: Unibroue, FW, GREAT Lakes
    Classics: Weihanstephener, Anchor, Sierra Nevada
    Sloppy Garbage: Butternuts, Flying Dog, Lost Coast

Rochefort10nh likes this.
  26. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

My Favorites:
    Odell---- simple and well done. Cutthroat Porter is excellent.
    Half Acre--- Just fun to look at
    Bruery and Cantillon---- Cantillon is close to art I think.

Worst---- Mikkeller and anything in Australia. Boring and just boring. Older Wild Thing bottles were cool though

27. Not a "label" but 21st Ammendment's can's are beautiful.

RichardMNixon likes this.
  28. I drink Narragansett tall boys on the train ride home all the time for similar reasons.

yamar68 likes this.
  29. They aren't that cool to look at, but I like whatever kind of paper Lagunitas puts on its 12 oz bottles.

30. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (665) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

VonZipper and standardcherry like this.
  31. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

Good:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To name a few...

PowDay likes this.
  32. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (665) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

A bad local one.... I hate courier font for some reason, looks like it was done on a typewriter... and MS Paint.

[​IMG]

33. creez

creez Aficionado (240) California Mar 9, 2012

Most professional/classy - Allagash, Bourbon County
    [​IMG]

Most rustic - Caldera, Sierra Nevada
    [​IMG]

Best beach inspired designs - Left Coast
    [​IMG]

Has potential/could use improvement - Russian River
    [​IMG]

34. They're not labels per se, but I vote for Stone for best labels. The artwork is amazing and there's something to read besides.
    Worst labels - Flying Dog. The labels are a mess and so is the beer.

35. I don't quite have the time at the moment to go through all of my favorites and least favorites but I'll say:

1. I must be the only one who didn't hate the old Weyerbacher labels. They're not great but they didn't bother me. The new ones look worse to me, I hate the weird pyscho clown logo and those merry monks are disturbing. Not an improvement. Stuff like Riserva looks fine to me.

2. Kuhnhenn 4d is pretty cool looking.

3. Thanks to knifestyles I just had my first 668 and Chardonneighbor brews...awesome funny ass labels...and names.

4. RR labels are pretty odd (sanctification/redemption/supplication...hmmm).

5. jolly pumpkin are very nice.

End transmission.

36. [​IMG]

I love how the hop's eyes are all rolled in the back of his head...

BigTomZ and smutty33 like this.
  37. BrownNut

BrownNut Savant (305) Florida Jul 11, 2011

I think Nogne O's are perfect from a branding standpoint (not from an artistic one). Classic, iconic, simple, infinitely re-colorable and reconfigurable mark that pops on the shelf from otherwise stark, clean, and yes somehow Scandinavian supporting design elements. Simply from a design and aesthetic standpoint, they are a grand slam as far as product packaging goes. It doesn't hurt that the stuff inside measures up and is top notch.

Hoppin' Frog looks like it was made in MS Word using default clip art, shapes, WordArt, and some mismatched default fonts in floating transparent text boxes with various default formatting. Just awful. They could do something so iconic with, say, a profile silhouette of a jumping anatomically correct frog in an empty circle or in front of the moon or something. Time to hire a graphic designer and rebrand.

One of the guys who shows up on a number of the Rogue labels reminds me of the bad guy gang leader Curly Bill in the movie Tombstone, which gives me negative feelings about them. He was a baaaad baddie. But the beer inside redeems it.

[​IMG]

38. Would be funny if the heads of the Beer companies who contract graphic designers should read this thread..

DJFairhurst likes this.
  39. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I'm lazy, so I'm just going Best/Worst.

Best: Goose Island, Firestone Walker
    Worst: Weyerbacher

40. Worst looking labels: Three Floyds, Alchemist
    Most professional: DFH
    Best Pin-up art: Smuttynose
    Most embarassing beer to bring home to have your wife see: Budweiser
    Best Comic Book art: Flying Dog

Minimal: Westvleteren