Breweries with the least and most professional beer labels?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jake351, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOBPINCH666

BOBPINCH666 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 New York

Best? Kuhnhenn. [/thread] Some honorable mentions, though…

• Bullfrog
    • Cantillon
    • Fantôme (only on occasion, though…)
    • Molen
    • Struise

Worst? Midnight Sun.

The most "credible"? Hill Farmstead & Maine Beer (+ Southampton's special releases)

The most pretentious? The Bruery & Goose Island

2. BOBPINCH666

+ Allagash Coolship(s)!

daryk77 likes this.
  3. DSho

DSho Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Florida

Agree with all those, love HF labels! I'm a big fan of most of the Upright labels.

4. BOBPINCH666

Woops! I almost forgot… NEW 3F LABELS (e.g. Papyrus…)

HopsJunkiedotcom and Etan like this.
  5. mikehblack

mikehblack Zealot (578) Feb 10, 2010 California
    Trader

Understated/Awesome: Deschutes Reserve series
    Classic/Nostalgic: Sierra Nevada and Anchor
    Coolest Theme: Stone gargoyles
    Ugly: Coney Island/Hebrew, Lost Coast

6. WYVYRN527

WYVYRN527 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2007 Minnesota

My favorite labels are from Cantillon. Least favorite? Central Waters, but the beer is so damn good!

7. TaxDork

TaxDork Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 California

I totally agree on Lost Coast, I've always found their style kinda embarrassing.

I've always been a big fan of North Coast's labels though. No central art style, but they always make something that cleanly matches the style of the beer.

8. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,203) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

The Brooklyn 750ml bottles and Narragansett's cans are great. Hill Farmstead's packaging is one of my favorites too. I like presentation and consistency across the whole brand. Those Half-Acre lables look more like album artwork than an identifiable brand.

The worst ones are definitely from Russian River. I can't really tell if they are a joke or not though. Short's and Weyerbacher are terrible too.

9. bubseymour

bubseymour Grand Pooh-Bah (4,656) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My favorite looking labels are Bud Kiing of Beers, Papst Blue Ribbon and Anderson Valley.

Red Hook's are so dull and boring. I don't really care for Flying Dog. Love the attempt to use authentic artwork but that artwork just isn't pleasing to my eye. Looks like a very disturbing and upsetting bad acid trip and the names are always gimmicky.

tobelerone and DJFairhurst like this.
  10. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

Goose Island labels are awesome but my favorite are Jolly Pumpkin. I save 1 empty of each bottle and have them displayed on the shelf because they look like pieces of art sitting there.

11. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Worst labels from around here in my opinion are Lazy Boy.
    They sure would do a lot to improve their image if they got rid of that little shit on their bottles.

Most artistic: Snoqualmie

libbey and checktherhyme like this.
  12. abraxel

abraxel Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 Michigan

I love Hill Farmstead -- they're very clean, minimal, bold, well-designed, and appealing. I like whatever silkily matte paper they use for the label, too. Whatever designer came up with their labels deserves an award.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2008 Ohio

[​IMG]

I think the 8 Wired labels look good too. I purchased the iStout simply because it looked badass.

14. beerme411

beerme411 Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2010 California

I've only had 1 JP Noel de Calabaza I bought it half because I wanted to try Jolly Pumpkin and half becuase of the jack'o lantern in a santa hat. I have the empty bottle sitting on a shelf its the only bottle I've kept I'll get a La parcela in the fall

15. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

16. hoplover888

hoplover888 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2010 Illinois

3Floyds and Dark Horse could use better glue...does that count for worst quality when they fall off the bottles?...unless you homebrew, of course.

17. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

nice topic for a lazy day. here are our pics.

Worst looking labels: Ithaca. yeah, it's not cool to shit the local, but i'm sorry, their "Spirit of The Finger Lakes" face is clearly the result of a a well meaning spouse. creepy too.
    Most professional: Anchor.
    Best Pin-up art: agreed. Middle Ages Double Wench. twice the tits as Wailing Wench. i like tits. you?
    Most embarassing beer to bring home to have your wife see: Suz is, at this point, un-embarassable. see above. maybe.
    Best Comic Book art: He'Brew. Sword Swallower? Coney Island? these are classics. not bad beer either.

Cheers.

suspect likes this.
  18. Thickfreakness

Thickfreakness Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2010 New York

Best: Bruery, Goose Island, Adirondack, FW, Southampton, White Birch, DFH
    Worst: Hoppin' Frog, Stone, Rogue, RR, St. Arnold, Weyerbacher, Harpoon (all great brewery's... just horrible art work!)

Jake351 likes this.
  19. Jake351

Jake351 Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Massachusetts

Labels that are "Most likely to look like the interior illustrations of the 2nd Edition Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manual: ->Stone Brewing" (Love their beer, obviously)

"Beautiful labels that are Paperless, but part of the Bottles"-Mystic brewery (I don't want to throw out the bottle when I'm done, those of you who have seen this will know!)

20. imbrue001

imbrue001 Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Laziest bottlecap/logo design: Green Flash

Stillwater has some pretty cool looking labels

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.