1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Company with the least & most professional-looking labels?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jake351, May 27, 2012.

1. Effing Papyrus...it's HORRIBLE and EVERYWHERE. I literally refuse to walk into any business using papyrus on their signs, flyers, pamplets, or vehicles. Uggh.
    TWStandley likes this.
  2. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

??? OK, I'm a little slow. What are you talking about?
  3. Papyrus is the font
  4. Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  5. Pretty Things has the best labels I have ever seen. I don't know if that makes them professional or not, but I think they are tremendously well done.
  6. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (215) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

Nachos4two likes this.
  7. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (215) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

Best bottle labels I've seen would have to be three floyds.
    Best can labels would have to be tallgrass brewing.
  8. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Advocate (515) Ohio Jan 28, 2011

A couple more lovely labels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sexy stuff
  9. I often wonder how many end up displaying their Cantillon bottles on a shelf after consumption, just too pretty of a label to dispose of.

There's also something about the Churchill's Finest Hour label I find appealing. Also the name as well.
  10. I know someone said Mikkeller was bad. However, their 19 is gorgeous.

[​IMG]
  11. Bryan

Bryan Aficionado (145) Michigan Feb 29, 2012

Several of the Michigan breweries have gone through a redesign in the past year, including Darkhorse, Kuhnhenn and Arcadia. I really like what Arcadia has done:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jake351 and trginter like this.
  12. I like these from Night Shift Brewing (a relatively new nano-brewery with some delicious beers I might add)....
    [​IMG]
  13. To me the simple, clean, classic look of Yuengling Light Lager cans are iconic.

I also enjoy the Paulaner labels because, well I'll just go ahead and say it, lounging in a robe quaffing huge tankards of beer is about as good as it gets O.O
  14. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

I'm glad someone mentioned Arcadia. They hired someone a few years ago and he's since changed most of the artwork and they really look great I think. Much better than the old.

[​IMG]
  15. crafty24

crafty24 Aspirant (45) Virginia Mar 17, 2011

Worst label IMO is Heavy Seas. Looks like a 2nd grader made those labels. Good beer though.

Sidenote: Six Point and others of the like drive me insane with their beer packaging that doesn't tell you what type of beer it is. I'm not spending 10.99 on a 4-pack of mystery beer. Why can't breweries just label their beer for what it is? Sometimes trying to be too cutesy can backfire. Rant: over.
    Jake351 likes this.
  16. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

My vote for best double entendre goes to Flat Tail for their Mustache Rye'd Red. I'm still amazed they got label approval for it.

[​IMG]
  17. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Silly me. I thought it was paper. Thx.
  18. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (565) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

19. Bobheed

Bobheed Savant (355) Texas Dec 27, 2010

The Bruery and Firestone Walker have some damn classy labels. My personal favorite though, is Dogfish Head's 750s, some are really, really nice. As far as bad, Cigar City makes some pretty God-awful labels, specifically the 4-pack sleeve for Cubano Style Espresso. Shit looks like a 5th grader clipped it together on MS Paint
  20. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

I think the labels should be the least of their concerns. I'm not impressed by their beer at all.
    Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  21. I'd second that.
    Rollzroyce21 likes this.
  22. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Most: Weihenstephaner
    Least: Russian River belgian style bottles.
  23. I'm gonna go with Blue Hills for the crappiest looking labels.
    Rekrule likes this.
  24. I agree, Flying Dog Labels are tired and overdone. And more importantly, they all are too similar. You should be able to look at a bottle (or 4/6 pack) and know the beer you are looking at, but most of the FD artwork and beers are indistinguishable from each other unless you pick up the bottle and inspect it closer. I like a lot of the DogFish Head Artwork (Olde School, Fort, 75 Minute, Burton Baton). Cigar City has some cool labels also.
  25. Likes: Bruery, Jolly Pumpkin

Dislikes: Lightning, Highwater, Weyerbacher

Never had Clown Shoes beers, but those labels look pretty cool. Makes me think that the beers will taste good.
  26. Favorite has to be the Deschutes Reserve series labels. The Bruery a close second. Shark Pants with the honorable mention.
  27. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Good:
    [​IMG]

Bad:
    [​IMG]
  28. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Mystic has some pretty classy bottles:

[​IMG]

Dope
  29. Best: Odell
    My Favorite: Big Sky
    Worst: Ska
    Honorable Mention: New Belgium
  30. Heidelberg7

Heidelberg7 Savant (310) Illinois Sep 13, 2008

I remember that Whitsun label it was like a bad 80's Florida vacation Flyer
    Lucky the Beer was good
    trginter likes this.
  31. trginter

trginter Savant (340) Michigan Dec 1, 2008

My favorite:

[​IMG]
    dcs1548 likes this.
  32. [​IMG]

Yeah, Dark Horse is ummmm.... Corel Draw 4?

[​IMG]

I like Elysian's Idiot Sauvin.
  33. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

jolly pumpkin and new belgiums are beautiful

i saw the anchorage bottles for the first time recently and i think those are pretty awesome too (and the beer as well)
  34. Love that label! Don't love whats inside the bottle lol.
  35. King Henry is my absolute favorite label ever. No one can call it overly minimalist, but it is still incredibly classy.​
    [​IMG]
    I also like New Belgium doing the print directly on the bottles (like on the Lips of Faith series). Pretty cool. ​
    [​IMG]
  36. I agree with much of what's already been said, so I'll just throw in another 'good' into the mix:
    Sixpoint. Solid, clean graphic design, with lots of info on the can. I like their entire packaging too. 4 tall boys in a cardboard cube container. Really makes the brand pop out.
    http://www.thedieline.com/blog/2011/7/25/sixpoint-brewery.html
  37. Except for noting a beer style and the actual city in which it's brewed and packaged (Wilkes-Barre, PA, at their "alternating proprietorship of The Lion's brewery). I do like the NYC skyline barcodes, tho'.
  38. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Most professional in my opinion would be Goose Island. To me those simple labels say "we're confident in our product".

Least professional in my opinion would be Dark Horse or Weyerbacher.
  39. Touche. I think it is a bit shady of them to act like they can in Redhook.