1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Company with the least & most professional-looking labels?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jake351, May 27, 2012.

1. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

really loving the Hardywood Park Reserve Series labels:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    grilledsquid and Sunhunters like this.
  2. Allagash, North Coast, and Goose Island all have a good thing going on too.

I also like Southern Tier a lot, though I'm not sure professional is a good descriptor for the style.
  3. Meanmopar

Meanmopar Zealot (85) Apr 4, 2012

I just want to say that the Hoptimum label totally kicks ass!!!
    El_Zilcho, DJFairhurst and Sunhunters like this.
  4. Ha, I actually came to talk about how much I love River North's labels.
    I like the organic, rustic look from the (I believe) recycled material; also like the texture of the label.
    Oh well, different strokes.
  5. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (655) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

I have to say originally I liked the concept. Then I saw Elevation's approach, and it was night & day. I totally get River North's approach since it's a lot more sustainable using black ink on recycled brown paper for labels... it just doesn't look professional. I could produce a better black/white label for my homebrew. It's absolutely organic and rustic, but professional? Not compared to other examples.
  6. damngoode

damngoode Savant (305) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

That ABSOLUTELY drives me batshit! And after I had 3 of Sixpoint's over-hyped cans, I swore off the brand altogether. Bengali Tiger Piss. ARGH!!!!!
    jrnyc likes this.
  7. damngoode

damngoode Savant (305) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Best Classy:
    [​IMG]
    Also, Firestone Walker, Bruery & Goose Island

Best Funky:
    [​IMG]
    Also Magic Hat & Three Floyds

Best Funny:
    [​IMG]

Worst Overall:
    [​IMG]
  8. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (360) California Mar 13, 2009

Best: The Bruery
    Worst: Weyerbacher (yes, even after their re-design.)
  9. Sixpoint & 21st Amendment have some of the most consistent, well thought out packaging. The look and feel is nailed down and each beer (though different in style) is held together through their uniform branding. Very professional, but even more important, very appealing.
  10. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

man, gotta give it to hardywood. Never heard of them, but damn thats class
    ncaudle and Sunhunters like this.
  11. Fun: Lost Coast (cubist art), Alimony Ale
    Scary/Evil: Stone
    Pleasant: Sierra Nevada, Buffalo Bills
    Cool: California Acme~North Coast, St. Bernardus
    Jake351 likes this.
  12. If RR could do every label like the -tions, theyd be set. Their simple Comic Sans PtE doesnt do it, but these do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And for some reason, I think this one is just awesome. I think the contrasting colors, but im not sure:
    [​IMG]

This new one from Aviator in NC is pretty cool. Kind of different (its no Mehpistopheles, but itll do).
    [​IMG]
  13. Gotta love Arctic Panzer Wolf (which I saved), and I want a DL to display as well. Itll go right next to Westy 12 and 8, Hunahpu, PtE, Deschutes Black butte XXIII, Better Half, Blushing Monk, CBS, Nosferatu (another favorite of mine), Lake Erie Monster, and BA Blackout.
  14. bumblingbeard

bumblingbeard Aspirant (35) Jun 6, 2012

15. Riseagainstme

Riseagainstme Zealot (75) Apr 30, 2012

[​IMG]

I love this one and the beer
    bastu and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  16. As far as Comic Book art goes I would say that 3 Floyds has the best labels! After all, the majority of them are created with help from actual comic book artists!

I also like Terrapin and Clown Shoes labels as well! They are simple labels but I find them ammusing! You never know where that crazy turtle will end up next or which mythical creature will be featured this time!
  17. +1 Brewery Ommegang - very professional, classy labels.
    I HATE Clown Shoes labels. The beer is very good, but the name, brand logo, and corny artwork bother me.
    Pretty Things has cool labels (and great beer). Amusing, original artwork.
    damngoode likes this.
  18. Deschutes' Reserve Series stuff has some of the best label art around imo:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

I've always taken a liking to Maine Beer Co's labeling. Simplicity executed well. It stands out in a good way when shopping in a beer store, kind of a "what is this, a homebrew?" vibe.

[​IMG]

My personal favorite labels have to be 3 Floyds and Great Divide. One is over the top design, one is clean design. Both executed perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. One of the best pictures (label or not) I have ever seen.
  21. veinottp

veinottp Aspirant (30) Jun 4, 2012

Totally agree on the Comic Sans - such a great beer, such a terrible font..... why why why?????

I also have to throw Great Divide in the hat, I love their labels. Clean, modern, consistent and attractive. It's all about exercising a little restraint.
  22. SageO

SageO Savant (360) California Jul 13, 2010

I love Stone's "labels", because I really like the whole paperless route, although Rogue's labels are mostly creepy. I'm especially looking forward to 10th Anni Ruination:

[​IMG]

I also love the idea of how Westy's have everything on the cap.

Alpine's Gouden Vallei is a pretty terrible label.

[​IMG]
  23. Anyone mention Nimbus yet? they may be a cluttered jumble, but those labels make me laugh every time I see them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  24. CasanovaCummins

CasanovaCummins Savant (430) Nevada Jan 10, 2012

Maine Beer has an understated elegant quality. Avery outdoes themselves all the time. DuClaw brews, namely Rertibution and Black Jack Stout, are inviting. The Smuttynose Big Beer series are very classy. Sixpoint has a circusy, pop art style. Drakes is stylistically simple, yet solid look. Alesmith has powerfully clean graphics. DFH has some great labels, the Bitches Brew being a good example, and all the Marq Spusta drawn ones are great.

And on the other side of the aisle:

Victory Dark Intrigue is laughable. Central Waters is bare bones basic and not in a good way. Smuttynose regulars don't do much for me at all. Gandi-bot and Surly Furious hold great beer, but their packaging doesn't reflect it at all. Alpine labels are fitting, but a little on the weak side. And the DFH Noble Rot labels are nowhere near close to some of the great DFH labels.
  25. GabrielM

GabrielM Savant (295) New Mexico Jun 22, 2010

Gotta nominate Upright's Fantasia label for this one. Really awesome art and it looks great on the bottle.
  26. Rob315

Rob315 Savant (335) Kentucky Mar 20, 2010

+1 to this jolly pumpkin are by far my favorite labels.

Worst : I don't care for lancasters labels
  27. BRZvice

BRZvice Aficionado (210) Michigan Apr 7, 2012

Best: Shorts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    World Class artwork
  28. Butternuts labels, names and what's inside the can are by far the worst I've ever seen, heard or tasted!!! Friggin awful!!!!!!
    keithmurray and Duhast500 like this.
  29. The worst labels in my opinion is Dark Horse. Great beer, but the labels are not that great and them always seem to be ready to fall off. At least they spent the time needed on the beer.
  30. rhosk

rhosk Disciple (55) Colorado Sep 15, 2010

Wow, I checked out Weyerbacher based on this thread, and am amazed at how horrible the artwork is. I'm having a hard time thinking of anything worse.

I would vote Left Hand for most-improved.

Best can: Tallgrass Brewing. I mean, look at this beauty:

[​IMG]

and don't forget..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    liveordie17 likes this.
  31. Shonkers

Shonkers Aficionado (120) Florida Mar 16, 2008

Most professional? I think Great Lakes' labels are very classy.
    MaxSpang likes this.
  32. Dundee have some enjoyable artwork in my opinion.
  33. Eagle Rock Brewing has some pretty fancy labels.
  34. bookerandy

bookerandy Savant (260) Indiana May 6, 2012

IMO, The Bruery have some of the most professional looking labels
  35. 21st Amendment's cans are amazing. Lincoln busting out of Mt. Rushmore, Paul Revere riding a motorcycle, etc. and I love Anderson Valley's mascot - the majestic beer.
    [​IMG]

He'brew is also pretty amusing.

On the other side of the spectrum, Weyerbacher, Blue Point, and Pyramid usually kind of turn me off. Weyerbacher looks like a common pick and Blue Point's labels are mediocre and there's no consistent brand image; they're all over the place. I honestly can't tell you what I don't like about Pyramid, I've just never been interested in it. I don't know that I've even tried one.
  36. Maybe not the most professional, but I really like labels on Uinta's crooked line.
  37. TheBeerSnob

TheBeerSnob Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2012

Best, Ommegang

worst, Ommegang about four or five years ago
  38. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

39. Marti403

Marti403 Savant (470) Michigan Jul 23, 2011

Best Label: Tie between Firestone Walker and The Bruery
    Worst Label: Kuhnhenn (but there stuff is incredible)
    Most Uncomfortable: Short's, but I love their stuff too.