1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Cupcakes

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by BeerKangaroo, May 1, 2012.

1. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Damian74Shensky and djura like this.
  2. That reminds me of an idea that came to me a few weeks ago - I want to make a Guinness cupcake with Jamesons frosting and serve it with Baileys ice cream. Like an Irish car bomb, but in dessert form.

Who doesn't love cake and ice cream?

Must. Acquire. Ice cream maker.

3. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

Car bomb in dessert form you say: http://gizmodo.com/5893474/car-bomb-jello-shots-blow-up-your-liver-for-st-patricks-day

And for the OP. Great site, your wife seems very talented, congrats. I'll try some recipes.

4. This isn't a cupcake recipe, but I'm fairly certain you could just make cupcakes with the batter, make a hole to put the filling, then cover with ganache or make a frosting (like above) if you'd prefer. I haven't made it but this is on my super, super short list to make soon.

Quick question for those who bake... I have an electric hand mixer and not a standing one. I should still be totally fine right?

http://thebeeroness.com/2011/12/08/chocolate-stout-cake-with-porter-ganache/#comment-371

5. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

My brother whipped up something similar for my birthday last year. The big difference topped with BACON!

6. Yeah, you would be fine with the hand mixer because the batter should be relatively thin. Now cookie dough on the other hand - I've blew the motor on a couple of hand mixers making cookies before we got the Kitchenaid.

7. nataku00

nataku00 Savant (400) California Apr 5, 2010

You can always make a Guinness based cake, a jameson's laced ganache filling, and topping with a bailey's buttercream frosting.

joetouchton and mintjellie like this.
  8. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

9. That would work as well, especially since ice cream machines I can't afford don't appear from thin air.

10. BeerKangaroo

You said BACON! That sounds spectacular!

11. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Is that accurate? Is your wife the person who runs that site?

12. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

When I first read it I thought it was his wife's blog, but reading it again maybe his wife just made that one recipe.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  13. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

That's what I'm thinking; that site is quite famous. I've made several recipes from there, myself; great stuff.

14. BeerKangaroo

that's not accurate, my wife does not run the site she found the recipe on the site and said something to me, so I put the word out to the BA's, that's all

15. If my brownie experiment works, i just might have to try it with cupcakes for st patricks day!

16. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Use mixer for the "wet" ingredients. But fold in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined. Otherwise, it'll come out tough and chewy.

17. Bierlerner

I made these awhile back.

Chipotle and chocolate black IPA cupcakes, with habanero goat cheese frosting, and blacki IPA candied peppered bacon
    [​IMG]

18. Wow, that sounds interesting. How did it taste?

19. Bierlerner

Tasted pretty damn awesome. No complaints from all the taste testers either. :)