1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer "cyberbalkanization"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BreakingBad, Jan 11, 2013.

1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

Preface: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cyberbalkanization.htm

Do you believe this has happend to beer now? with people rushing to seek out limited releases like darklord and black note do you guys think this is good? that we all tend to have the same opinions and that those who oppose them are shunned.
  2. I'm happy to disagree with someone who has a differing opinion than mine, but I still respect his/her opinion. I like RIS's and am not that into IPA's/DIPA's, but those people just have different tastes than I do.

I have plenty of friends who drink Miller Light and can't imagine spending hours of phone time or driving time to track down a specific beer. Fine with me.

Keep an open mind, don't be swayed by the opinions of others, and we'll all be okay.
  3. Kelp

Kelp Savant (430) New Hampshire Mar 6, 2008

I think there are a small group within the beer community doing this. I would hope the rest of the community is still encouraging others to just try good beer and step away from the shadow of the big three.
  4. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

yeah I wish more people were like that. Maybe it is just a vocal minority that is "cyberbalkanizating"
  5. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

I can guarantee you that the BMC drinkers will have a much better militia than us if this comes down to Malt Beverage Civil War! World War IIPA! The Battle at Plank Road!

Thoughts of such are just silly (but actually kinda fun). Balkanization deals with belief systems more than hobbies. I don't think we want to fight with BMC drinkers so much as we feel horrible for them, lol.
    airforbes1, gpawned and bozodogbreath like this.
  6. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

No, not at all. People might rush out to get them, but they are (mostly) happy to share and tell people where they got it.
  7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I think it is only fair to point out that this can go both ways. Many BMC drinkers view their beers as the only acceptable beer and will "shun" anyone who disagrees.

I think most people operate under a live and let live attitude, the extremist may be more vocal but are still a minority.
    MarkIntihar and BeerBuddy2122 like this.
  8. If you dont like America, then you can git out!
  9. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (220) Vermont May 14, 2009

Wait, people are still seeking out Dark Lord?

To the original question, yes some of these traits are rampant in the craft beer world and on this site in particular. However, they manifest themselves more as snobbery and a holier-than-thou elitism as opposed to outright hostility. This is true both in attitudes toward 'outsiders', the so called BMC crowd as well as within the BA membership.

For example, those who have been on 4 trips to Belgium v.s. those who haven't. Those who have cellars full of whales v.s. those who don't. Those who have met and had a conversation or two with Vinnie Cilurzo, Tomme Arthur, Jean Van Roy or Armand Debelder and therefore always refer to them in postings with the familiarity of first names as if they are old friends v.s. those who aren't even sure who these characters are.

It's not unique to the craft beer scene of course, but surely a blight we live with.
  10. Somewhere right now, someone is saying "Yea, but have you seen Beer Wars!?"
  11. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Savant (480) New York Aug 10, 2010

They took our jobs!!!
  12. What has happened is what I call "Americanization" - described as the need to put a label on everything or categorize or classify everything in one or another pigeon hole. Also included as "Americanization" is mocking anything and everything that we don't understand or don't like, whatever the reason.
    Great country, but with an inconsiderate, boorish, ignorant minority [not referring to anyone here, of course].
    beerophilia likes this.
  13. I think you need to elaborate a bit here on the precise issue you're trying to raise.

Otherwise I'm not really understanding what cyberbalkanization has to do with people hunting down limited releases in real life.

> that we all tend to have the same opinions and that those who oppose them are shunned.

I think this is actually very false. I tend to trust the more independent minded minority around here rather than the monkey-see monkey-do majority. Though that's just another way of saying "avoid the hype train".
    Bung, azorie and mynie like this.
  14. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

I think someone just found a big word and is showing off.
    azorie, mynie and mcc1654 like this.
  15. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

As a noob, I think things are pretty damned fair here. I've taken some comments here and there , some my own fault, but nothing that made me feel an "outsider". I will continue to ask what may be stupid or old questionsn but I haven't been ignored or harshly treated. I can't say that about other non-beer forums I've been where rookies get flayed routinely. One motorcycle forum I was on - if you hadn't been riding since the invention of the wheel, you were ridiculed. People sometimes forget they were "rookies" once.

I read all I can here on any given day and can see some things that come across as an elite (or snobby) attitude like Cascade77 mentioned above. Not a lot, but here and there, so a minority. It is natural in a big group for "subcultures" to form, especially where so much is opinion-based, subjective, and individual taste/preference. Everybody has favorites to one extent or another, but it doesn't seem it is like all you Imperial Stout (23% of the top 100 beers, by the way) guys get over by the altar, all you Saison drinkers go out to the barn, you lambic guys off to the raspberry fields, etc. I think the discussions are for the most part polite, considerate, inclusive, and as thoughtful as they need to be in context. As much or as little information as you want can be found here.

That said, I have been at tastings and it seems there's always "that person"...talks over everybody, knows better than anybody, and looks down on everybody (including the poor bugger who is just trying to run the tasting event). Pretentious and obnoxious, and at the end of the day doesn't know any more (and maybe less) than I do. An individual with a temporary captive audience.

I would think that balkanization business might be more prevalent outside a place like BA. Where you have people looking for the next big thing or whatever they think happens to be trendy at the moment. "Oh...well WE only drink quintuple IPA's brewed with caviar and unicorn hair. It taste like a litterbox, but WE drink it and you suck because you don't" sort of thing. People who don't hang in places like this where you can actually learn something, I believe, would have more of a tendency to create that kind of phenomenon. For me, if somebody's drinking something different than me, it's the start of a beer-versation, not any reason for snobbery (in other words, you should have straw handy ;)) .
    Hermthegerm and BMitch like this.
  16. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (400) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Agreed.

OP, please elaborate...
  17. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

OP - could clarify that I agree.

I took it to apply from the basic definition of the root word, balkanization. A fragmentation or division of people into groups within a state that are (usually) hostile towards one another. It derives from the fragmentation of the Balkan states after WWI. So I kind of interpreted it as meaning - is the craft consumer population polarizing into groups or factions that "only drink this" or "only drink that" and are hypercritical towards other styles. If you think about it, there's at least two - BMC vs. Craft to begin with. Easy example in BMC though - I "only drink Bud because it's better than Miller", or even like I drive a Ford and will kick yer Chevrolet-drivin a$$... (as the Chevy driving black sheep in my family I know how that one works - took six months for previously close relatives to get the hell over it).

Think it somewhat more applicable if OP had taken "cyber" off the term...then again, I could be totally wrong. Won't be the first or last time...
  18. CityofBals

CityofBals Initiate (0) Illinois Sep 12, 2012

Can I nominate this for thread of the year yet?
    Zimbo and benjaminahudson like this.
  19. Dude, this honestly made me laugh so hard.
    Thank you.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  20. On the one hand, you have some people who do some things. On the other hand, you have other people who do other things. So basically, things are happening and there are some that others find different. Now, on the one hand some of those people may not like what some people do. On the other hand, the other people may not like what others do. So basically some people may not like other people.
  21. Holy Shiva that's alot of hands.
  22. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

I see many arguments on here between established members and no one is "shunned".

There are also arguments about beer and other things among my tasting groups and no one is shunned. Ridiculed is something else all together as we ridicule each other all the time, for no reason, and without warning or preface.

Perhaps you've been "shunned" because people plain don't like your antics and you're grasping at straws trying to find a reason why everyone else is crazy?
  23. For ridicule and shunning go to 'the other' site to see how it is really done. BA's stocked full of pussy cats in comparison.
  24. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

This term is offensive to citizens of the Balkans. It must be changed.
    Retail1LO, FEUO and LeRose like this.
  25. azorie

azorie Advocate (715) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I could not even figure out who or what that web site was talking about.
  26. You tell'em After all, you ARE Spartacus.
  27. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

lol that's more like "Western Civilization - ion"
  28. Maybe I just haven't been around long enough, but it seems to me the only real conflict worth considering is between the guys who brew beer and happen to make money doing so--and the guys who make money and happen to brew beer doing so.
  29. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

Tevya, is that you?
    Retail1LO and benjaminahudson like this.
  30. As Abraham said, "I am a stranger in a strange land..."
    Retail1LO and Bluecane like this.
  31. Thuh turka jer!
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  32. In response to this thread, I jokingly posted a simpsons clip. The one where the family is chanting "one of us" as homer nervously gets in the car.

And somehow, I wound up getting this message.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I just thought the "one of us, one of us" chant kind of goes with the sort of internet groupthink this thread is about. I really didn't mean to upset anyone with it.