1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Flavor Wheel

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SkeeterBoganski, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Treyliff, djaeon and MinorThreat like this.
  2. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

A great resource, but missing at least one flavor element. When tasting Chelada...the only descriptor I could come up with was vomit.:confused: Don't see that one here.

afrokaze, tectactoe and rhartogsq like this.
  3. "Baby sick/diapers" is in there!

jglowe77 and Brunite like this.
  4. Brunite

Brunite Savant (420) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

From the attached text:

OK then.....o_O

OTOH....that pee flavor wheel might have helped me describe a few of the crappier beers I have tried!

jglowe77 and SkeeterBoganski like this.
  5. There have been many variations of a "beer flavor wheel" (just do a Google for the term). First one I recall seeing was in the 1977 edition of the Master Brewers Association of the America's The Practical Brewer. That one, developed by the MBAA, ASBC (the Brewing Chemists' org.) and the EBC (European brewers' group) , also used a system of numbering the terms to create "...an international flavor vocabulary for beer".

LeRose likes this.
  6. Oh crap - something else to think about while I'm just trying to enjoy a beer.

jhartley likes this.
  7. Why can't I just say, "It tastes good"?

8. Interesting. Cool post, thanks.

9. JAXSON

JAXSON Savant (465) Pennsylvania Dec 15, 2005

I like the idea of this a lot but I don't totally like the way he did it. He's combining categories like "mouthfeel" and "drinking experience" with the flavor descriptors. It's helpful in a way, but not really a pure flavor wheel. I wonder if such a thing could exist.

10. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Vomit? I was getting more of a "bile/stomach acid" taste....

Brunite likes this.
  11. So, my eyes aren't so great in a dark bar, where I drink most of my beer. Am I supposed to print this favor wheel out world map size to see it? Maybe I'm a dumb dumb, but these wheels or other complicated data charts never make sense to me.

They make so little sense that I designed and published my own tasting journal. Uber beer geeks will make fun of it, but it's an attempt to simplify and educate about beer tasting. Plus, you can see it in a dark bar! I'm not going hammer you with an ad here, but if you're interested check out my profile. It's my homepage link.

12. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

It's interesting they list 'Sherry' as an undesirable flavor

Lots of people mention Sherry/Tawny Port characteristics as a positive thing.

13. domtronzero

domtronzero Initiate (0) California Aug 18, 2007

Sherry flavors can be indicative of oxidation and is certainly a fault in most beer styles. But for a big barleywine, or old ale, they may actually be quite pleasant. Remember that the flavor wheel has to satisfy the overwhelming majority of beers styles. Kinda like sour beers: lactic/acetic character would not be considered a brewing fault in a lambic or Flemmish Red ale, but they certainly would be if they were in a Dortmunder Export or IIPA.

14. PJHealy

PJHealy Aficionado (100) Ohio Jun 14, 2012

The wheel is missing "Rare".

15. Very kewl display, makes me thirsty!