1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer flavors

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Baab200, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Baab200

Baab200 Savant (320) New York Jan 9, 2013

I'm a big fan of stouts and porters, but it seems most of them always go for the chocolate/coffee/vanilla flavor profiles. Or wheat beers always seem to go for orange peel (ie blue moon style or shock top). This got me thinking about what other flavor profiles would pair well with beers that people would like to see breweries produce?

Sam Adams attempted a gingerbread stout this past winter, that I think failed miserably in actually tasting like ginger or molasses.

I guess I would just like to see more breweries attempt some new styles.
  2. I was going to say pizza flavored beer but I realized its already been done.
  3. Beer flavored beer
    Premo88 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  4. There are so many flavors that have already been done (and many weird ones have failed) so that any new suggestions would likely result in a beer that is non-drinkable, and I don't think brewers want to cross that threshold.
  5. Baab200

Baab200 Savant (320) New York Jan 9, 2013

It seems that brewers have the same attitude as Hollywood. They would rather keep producing the same thing that they know they can turn a profit on, than attempt something new that could either be a huge hit, or a huge miss.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.
  6. I'd like to see more breweries release some heather ales. I am a huge fan of the style.
    RochefortChris likes this.
  7. You lost me at "ie Blue Moon or shock top"
    alucard6679 likes this.
  8. Hmmmmm. I will keep trying the current ones and get back:rolleyes:
  9. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Im a big fan of the Hype-Flavored beers.

And Imperial Stouts
  10. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I have been a maniac with stouts this year. I've found the Belgian stout to be quite interesting and allow for a different flavor profile than the typical coffee/vanilla/chocolate ones. Two that come to mind are Smuttynose Zennike and Weyerbacher Tiny. I enjoyed them as weird, complex yet tasty stout alternatives. You ever try the peanut butter beer from Terrapin? Pretty darn tasty.

Oh, to answer your question This got me thinking about what other flavor profiles would pair well with beers that people would like to see breweries produce?, caramel, sweet cinnamon, mint, kiwi, etc. I dunno kind of weird question. I foresee a lot of sarcastic answers in your near future. If you can think of a flavor, you can think of a beer, which is what lots of breweries do. Hence, creme bruele, bacon doughnut, mint chocolate, etc.
  11. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

My favorite flavor is "Rare". When you can taste the rarity in a beer it's an instant world class offering.
  12. More tropical fruit bomb IPAs.
  13. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Agreed. My father who does not drink smelled a lagunitas sucks and asked if they use guava or passionfruit juice in it.
  14. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

That's my favorite.