1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer/Food do you have lined up for Christmas and New Years

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by JoeDurp, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

I know we just finished Thanksgiving but still im the kind of guy that likes to plan ahead. My moms making Beef Tenderloin with a horseradish sauce, Maryland Spiced Shrimp, and prolly her award winning Mashed Potatoes with various other stuff mixed throughout the day Heres my plan for the drinking:
    Morning-Alesmith Speedway Stout
    Afternoon-Alesmith Wee Heavy
    Dinner-Undecided maybe see what The Bruery has as a seasonal
    Dessert-BCBS Coffee Stout
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Way too many beers in my house and way too many days until X-mas to make that call.
    WassailWilly and Fluke828 like this.
  3. JoeDurp

JoeDurp Savant (255) Texas Nov 5, 2011

Yeah i know i just wanted start the thread now
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I have a 2010 3L Mad Elf I am popping open at my friends Christmas party this year. That is the only guarantee I have so far.
  5. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Not sure what im having Christmas Eve (that is when my family does our thing) but i know on Christmas Day ill be having an imperial biscotti break.
    WassailWilly, Hanzo and JoeDurp like this.
  6. Going to spend some time here:

[​IMG]

...and here:

[​IMG]
  7. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

Christmas = Double Bastard in the morning, Merry Mischief in the afternoon, and a Pumpkinator for desert!
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  8. Christmas Eve - Samiclaus (red label)
    Christmas Day - BCBS, St. Bernardus Xmas Ale
    New Year's Eve - Don De Dieu (closest thing to champagne in a beer that I've ever had, figured it is appropriate)
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  9. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (220) Vermont May 14, 2009

Will probably go through most of my yearly six-pack of Anchor OSA while cooking. Two bottles of which will be the braising liquid for a pot roast. It's a great beer to cook with. A Cantillon classic with dinner. After dinner will be Brooklyn BCS.
  10. alelover

alelover Advocate (560) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

the one beer that is always certain on christmas for me.. st bernardus christmas ale.
  11. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Washington Sep 12, 2012

It's always The Abyss for me. I was told it'll be showing up in Spokane this week!!
    CwrwAmByth likes this.
  12. I have been drinking more winter warmers than I can count these last couple weeks. i see no sign of slowing down either. On Christmas morning, my Dad, Brother, and I always shoot oysters and drink a big imperial stout. I am thinking Narwhal this year as it is good, new, and available.
  13. A lot of different stouts and chocolate covered bacon.
  14. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Block 15 Figgy Pudding forChristmas.
    Abyss 2009 for New Years.
  15. irrelevant thread... the world is gonna end on 12/21. :rolleyes:

and if it doesn't, i'll be at the in-laws for christmas which means no alcohol.

on new years eve i'll probably crack open my abt 12 and several SN celebrations
  16. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (295) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

We're making Carbonnade, I've always used Belgian strong dark ales, but I'm going to try making it with Rodenbach this time. Between myself, roommates and friends coming there will be a lot of beer drank. I've got a magnum of Anchor Christmas, plenty of Trois Pistoles to go with stew, although I might get some Rodenbach or another sour. Dessert has not been planned yet, but it will undoubtedly be acompanied by barrel aged stout.
  17. I will have to go to the Total Wine the week before Christmas and see what there is to see. Whatever I buy will be good and is my present to myself. The St.Bernardus Christmas Ale sure sounds good!
  18. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Surly Syx, Darkness, Abrasive and a few bottles of Old Fezziwig. Maybe a bottle or two of Avalde Farm's Ode To A Russian Shipwright and The Auroch's Horn aged on Rhubarb as well.
  19. Probably hit up a local shop a few days before Xmas and pick up some IPAs (whatever is fresh) to drink before dinner and then after dinner I'm planning on BCBS and KBS.
  20. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (545) California Dec 12, 2009

Start with a Kern River Citra, then a 2010 Abyss, followed by Santa's Little Helper Bourbon, and perhaps a Fruet!! If no one joins me in enjoying these brews I will just settle for an Older Viscosity!!
  21. fvernon

fvernon Savant (360) Indiana Mar 1, 2010

road trip planned to upstate VT/NH for a bit of ice climbing just before the holidays, so everything is very much up in the air right now - although i'm hoping a bottle of twilight of the idols or birth of trajedy will be on the table
  22. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Definately Evil Twin Soft Xmas. The Imperial Biscotti Break mentioned above has me thinkin that sounds like a tasty option too. I've never had St Bernardus Christmas Ale and this Christmas might be a great time to give that a shot.

New years will be all about the imperial stouts.
  23. My newly married bro has taken quite a liking to craft beers lately. He and the better half will be home for Christmas, so I'm lining up some goodies to try:

Founders Curmudgeon's Better Half (naturally)
    Lawson's Maple Tripple
    Bramble
    CBS
    Cantillon Iris '07
    Black Tuesday '11
    White Chocolate
    NG Raspberry Tart and Belgian Red
    Parabola Vetical
    HF Juicy
    HF Twilight
    HF random growlers
    HF random bottles

Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year and my brother is only in town 1-2 times a year. Go big, or go home. I've been lucky enough to try almost all of the above list, can't wait to enjoy some awesome beers with the family and friends over a few days.
  24. Revenant

Ovalde Farms*
  25. Billolick

Billolick Champion (790) New York Dec 20, 2003

Gotta have some 3 Philosophers, Double Bastard, Captain Lawrence DIPA, likely a Smuttynose Zinneke if I can get my hands on some, and I've already put away a Stone Collaboration Mint Chocolate Stout to go with a decadent chocolate dessert to end Xmass dinner...ahhh...its gonna be a good day.......
  26. Tamarack22

Tamarack22 Savant (280) Minnesota May 19, 2011

Olvalde **

Damn fine brewery however spelt.
  27. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

SN Celebration before the meal/along with cheese and crackers in the afternoon and then at dinner Mad Elf with my wife's Italian pot roast.
  28. Revenant

I have been know to leave out an l here and there. But yes thank you for showing me how the name of one of my favorite brews is SPELLED!
  29. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

You need to get some new in-laws :)!
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  30. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (620) New York Mar 21, 2010

Ballast Point Victory at Sea.
  31. Hardywood Gingerbread Stout in matching glass of course !!
  32. Christmas is the one holiday that I don't drink a lot of beer. While we have a big Christmas Eve dinner (during which I'll likely drink my last Autumn Maple) with beef bourguignon, we go to mass at 10 pm and I don't want to fall asleep. I will almost always drink an impy stout --- will probably drink The Abyss --- with my wife when we put presents out after midnight.

And since Christmas Day is all family, I don't drink any beer during the day. Instead of a big Christmas dinner, we join a neighborhood potluck. I will more than likely drink SN Celebration and Surly Abrasive.
  33. My brother is picking up some fresh Head Hunter and Sculpin sooo that will be Christmas Eve. I'll probably bring a Backwoods Bastard for something different for the family to try. Maybe a sour too, but we'll see. Christmas Day will depend partly on what the GF wants to do. We'll either open a special bottle of wine or split something like Abyss. Trying to pick what that option would be is making my head spin right now honestly.
  34. Going through the complete Founders roster and throwing in a T25, 2Pliny, Zombie Dust, Mo Pale Ale, a 2006 Dark Lord and a Lawson's Maple Imperial for good measure - tasting dinner NYE

35. +1
  36. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (275) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

I'll be drinking some homebrew for X-Mass... :D After racking my "Dead Ringer" (Two-Hearted clone) from primary to secondary, I poured whatever was left on top of the trub (tons of yeast and hop sediment chunks - Yum! :) ) into 2 bottles (1x12oz and 1x22oz)

I didn't have any extra priming sugar, so I took a tablespoon of honey, dissolved it into hot water and bottled for a week already. Was planning on having the 12oz for X-Mass and the 22oz for New Years, but I already drank the 12oz. Delicious! The Centennial hops are really startin' to shine and the head was very thick and the body... well-carbonated. The color was considerably darker than I anticipated, but when it comes to beer, I'm practically color-blind. If it tastes good, I could care less if it were blue/green/etc...

I threw in some more Centennial for dry-hopping at the beginning of last week. On Sunday, I started my cold-crash and will hopefully bottle tomorrow or this weekend, whenever I have time to get to it. I will bottle until New Year's Eve where I will compare a bottle or two with the bottle created from the primary. I will probably wait until Feb for the beer to reach it's peak prior to opening most bottles.

Long story short, I will be drinking my homebrew for Christmas.
    ...and maybe some Imperial Stout Trooper on the side. ;)
  37. Christmas morning with the family while exchanging gifts, I'm cracking a Founders Breakfast Stout and having a few of these,
    [​IMG]
    WassailWilly likes this.
  38. I've got 2010 Stille Nacht, 2011 Pannepot, Ayinger Winterbock, Celebrator & Weizenbock, home brewed Yuletide ale, and Tripels from Chimay and Westmalle to drink.

Yuletide ale with Christmas dinner (Turkey and all the trimmings), and the others probably with dessert/nibbles.

Should have by New Years Kabert, Kernel French Oak Aged Brown Stout, and Westy Blonde.
  39. RichD

RichD Advocate (605) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I might go with a Sierra Nevada celebration with the ham lunch at my parents' place and then I may do a Backwoods Bastard or 2011 GI Matilda with beef wellington at my girlfriends parents' place. I'll spend the rest of the night enjoying a bottle of Firestone Walker Sucaba.

Man, I can't wait for Christmas.
    Dools9 likes this.
  40. Only sessionables for me. Brooklyn Lagers and Long Trail Pale Ale's. Got to save the calories for the food!