1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer for Beasts Returns to Brooklyn September 13th

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by Todd, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,515) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

A Celebration of Beer, Food and People, for a Good Cause

(Brooklyn, NY – August 15, 2014) For the fourth time since 2011, Sixpoint and BeerAdvocate have teamed up to host a charity event benefiting the Humane Society of New York. A celebration of creativity in the name of compassion for animals, Beer for Beasts will take place on Saturday, September 13, 2014 at the Bell House (http://thebellhouseny.com) in Brooklyn, N.Y.

"We're proud to co-organize Beer for Beasts for a fourth year," says BeerAdvocate co-founder Todd Alström. "It's a milestone that will mark over $100,000 raised to help the Humane Society bring awareness to the better treatment of animals."

As in years past, Beer for Beasts will feature dozens of exclusive beers brewed specifically for the event, a handful of the city's best food vendors and live entertainment. The Diabolical Biz Markie (http://bizmarkie.com) will provide the musical entertainment by DJ'ing and performing as a special guest at both sessions of this year's event. All net proceeds go to the Humane Society of New York (http://humanesocietyny.org). More details about the event can be found below.

Beer for Beasts tickets are available now via Eventbrite for $65 (all inclusive). Ticket price includes access to one session (1-5 p.m. or 6-10 p.m.), and all beer and food tastings. All attendees must be 21+ with a valid ID. Tickets are limited.

For more information, please visit: http://beerforbeasts.com and follow: @Beer4Beasts on Twitter

Beer for Humans
    The following small batch, one-time offerings are not commercially available and can only be sampled at Beer for Beasts. All beers are subject to change.
    • 4BEANS: First runnings from 4Beasts plus vanilla beans, coffee, cacao nibs, toasted Romano beans, and sarsaparilla root
      4BEASTS: A beastly Porter brewed with 12 gallons of maple syrup in honor of our furry companions
    • Adambier: A twist on a malty ancient German recipe that uses experimental Mandarina Bavaria hops
    • Bowl of Oranges: Cream Ale with a serious citrus punch
    • Cherry Vanilla Kölsch: The Cologne classic with a cherry-vanilla kick
    • Clyde’s Banana Nitro Milk Stout: Banana Milk Stout on a nitro-tap
    • Dr. Doofenshtout: Chocolate peanut butter malted Milk Stout inspired by the mad scientist from Phineas and Ferb
    • DUB Imperial All Black(s) IPA: New Zealand hops meet Black IPA
    • Elderflower Prosecco Hefeweizen: Brewed and fermented with dried elderflowers and hopped with Nelson Sauvin
    • Groundskeeper W-ale-y: Peat smoked Wee Heavy
    • Hob Snob: Oats, wheat, lactose sugar, and chocolate powder: a liquid version of the English HobNob cookie
    • Home Stock Syndrome: Rye Pilsner with smoked malt and fresh dill
    • Pour Chocolate and Caramel All Over My Body: Porter with baker's chocolate and molasses
    • The King's Layer: White wheat, Hefeweizen yeast, dehydrated peanut butter, and smoked malt: the beer incarnation of Elvis' favorite sandwich
    • Looter Laiger: German hops, German malts, decoction mashing, and a long lagering time
    • Marty McRye: Oatmeal Rye Pale Ale with a big burst of fruity hops
    • Moto Kvass: Old World Kvass made with toasted dough and baker's yeast from Pizza Moto
    • NZ In My Mouth: IPA continuously hopped with New Zealand hops
    • Perseph Honey Ale: A pomegranate honey Blonde worthy of myth
    • Push it Real Good: A spicy, savory, salt and pepper Gose
    • Raining Beets: A tribute to metal fans with additions of pomegranate and tons of beets to give it an eerie, bright glow
    • Ray Deter's Dunkle: Traditional Dunkleweizen made in honor of the late Ray Deter
    • Rosemary's BBW (Baby Berliner Weisse): A tangy take on a summer cocktail brewed with lemon zest and a late addition of fresh rosemary
    • Sriracha Ace: Red jalapeños and roasted garlic added to a Red Ale base
    • Texas Heat: Stout with fiery Serrano chilies from Texas
    • Your Place or Mine?: Coffee-infused Hefeweizen made with 508 NYC's Chris Cuzme
    Food for Humans
    Sample cuisine from some of New York's finest food trucks outside the venue.
    About BeerAdvocate
    Founded by brothers Jason & Todd Alström, BeerAdvocate has been putting the geek into beers since 1996. With their motto "Respect Beer" as its foundation, BeerAdvocate hosts world-class beer fests, publishes the only monthly beer magazine of its kind, runs the largest consumer website for beer on planet Earth, and finally launched an app. http://beeradvocate.com

About Sixpoint
    Sixpoint Brewery was born out of an 800-square-foot garage in Brooklyn, New York in 2004 by homebrewer Shane Welch, who had amassed over 1,000 individual homebrew recipes. The brewery’s name is derived from the ancient six-pointed brewers’ star, which symbolically adorned the walls and equipment of ancient breweries since at least the Medieval period. Sixpoint's motto, "Beer is Culture," highlights humanity's trajectory—the earliest human civilizations were founded upon the cultivation of cereal grains for making beer. Sixpoint aims to perpetually inspire the art, creativity, and community generated through beer by acknowledging the history of the craft. http://sixpoint.com

###

2. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Advocate (665) New York Jul 25, 2004

The VAPORS

[​IMG]

dar482, keithmurray and Ieatlambfries like this.
  3. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

Looks like a great line-up! We had an awesome time last year and can't wait for this year. Any chance for a return of Juicy Killer Crisp? I loved that one

4. Todd

Except for some core Sixpoint beers, the lineup is completely different each year. (That was one of my favorites too; for bias and non-bias reasons.)

5. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

I know it's different, but I thought that was a great beer. I emailed them asking for them to can it.

SixpointMikey likes this.
  6. Todd

Ticket Update:

The Bell House can get tight, and there's not a ton of room outside in the food vendor area. Some have complained about beer/food lines too. To address these concerns we're now selling 50 less tickets per session (550 per session now).

While this impacts our budget a bit, and will subsequently result in a bit less going to the HSNY, we feel the extra elbow room and shorter lines will create a better vibe and experience.

dangelop likes this.
  7. "Ohh baby yoooooouu"... :cool:

8. pinyin

pinyin Aficionado (170) New York Sep 19, 2013

Although I really want to see The Biz, try all of these great Sixpoint beers and donate to a good cause, these types of events are really annoying when it comes to waiting in line to sample what's being offered. The vendors take their time and have no sense of hospitality for the paying guests.

I would much rather pay full price for everything, including a charitable donation, rather than have to wait in line for 15_30 minutes for a beer or food sample.

I'm seriously debating purchasing 4 tickets for this event but the wait times are such a turnoff.

Sixpoint likes this.
  9. Thought the title said "Beer for Breasts" as first. That would be a stellar promotion.

Ilovelampandbeer and Sixpoint like this.
  10. Sixpoint

Sixpoint Advocate (665) New York Jul 25, 2004

As explained by @Todd above, the wait times have been reduced/alleviated.

11. Todd

Hmm ... never heard that one before. o_O

12. SteveB24

SteveB24 Advocate (605) New York Aug 29, 2013

i keep getting invites to this, it kills me that i can't go because its on saturday (i'm jewish). i wish you the best of luck with the event

13. Todd

14. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (330) New York Oct 28, 2010

I am thinking of going to the 6-10 event. Question on whether all beers are tapped at once at early time slot, and some will run out by the night one. Or are some tapped fresh at the night slot?

15. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

There usually is separate 1/6bbls for each session pending if we blow throw a good amount of beer during the 1st session which in the past we have. All beers should be available for each session.

VaTechPhilly likes this.
  16. Todd

Day Session is sold out.

17. Todd

What @Jason said. We put aside kegs for each session and won't dip into the Night kegs for the Day session. And for this particular event, the Night session is the best session IMO; more lively and fun. I'd stop thinking about it and buy tickets.

18. VaTechPhilly

VaTechPhilly Savant (330) New York Oct 28, 2010

I'm sure I'll be there but trying to get my buddy to go. He's a game time decision.

19. I never realized that this event was done in collaboration with BA.

So, are these all brewed by @Sixpoint? Because that is a crazy amount of one-offs to make for just one event.

I might be able to go if I wanted to be crazy spontaneous and buy a night session ticket, drive up to NJ (if my friend can have me over for Saturday night), take public transportation to BfB in Brooklyn, drink, make it back to NJ somehow, sleep at friend's place, then wake up and drive home.

Also, what is your second of the two-beer collaboration with @Jason and @Todd ?

You're killing me with all these 3Beans variations! I'm too tired to wax-poetic about it now.
    Is it too much to ask for a Crowler of BA 3Beans and 4Beans (and BA 4Beans and 3+4Beans and BA 3+4Beans [or would 3/4Beans, 3-4Beans or 34Beans make more sense])?

20. joehill

joehill Aficionado (210) New York Apr 11, 2008

I am surprised to see that the day session is sold out. Judging from the amount of email spam I get from Beer For Beasts / Beer Advocate asking me to buy tickets (which I had already done months ago), I figured you guys were super hard up for attendees.

21. Todd

I'm not. The Saturday early session always sells out first; not matter what fest it is.

It'd be nice to sellout the Night session (140 odd tickets left) too; hence the emails.

22. They are indeed brewed by Sixpoint. They are all collaborations with our brewing team and the rest of the Sixpoint team, family, friends etc to allow for some zany beer ideas to come to fruition each year. Mad Scientists all around! Cheers to our brewers for taking on this massive initiative each year and I can't wait for tomorrow!

Sixpoint likes this.
  23. Are there any tickets that are going to be sold at the door? I got a friend and myself coming up form New Jersey for the night session. I cant buy tickets online anymore but it says there are 89 remaining.

24. Todd

There's still some tickets at the door for 6-10pm.

25. dangelop

dangelop Savant (390) New York Sep 16, 2006

For those of us attending the second session - what kicked first during session one??

26. joehill

joehill Aficionado (210) New York Apr 11, 2008

so bummed - my 1 year old came down with hand, foot and mouth and a 104 degree fever, we had to cancel on the sitter last minute and gave her the tickets instead. super disappointed to be missing this right now!

27. Todd

Thanks to everyone who bought a ticket to Beer for Beasts this past Saturday in Brooklyn. It was indeed a celebration of good beer, food, and people ... for a great cause.

I know that the Humane Society of New York appreciated our collective support too.

Cheers!

mani and markdrinksbeer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.