1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer for chili

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Louis_Toschner, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Hey all,

What craft beer would you guys recommend for a chili recipe? I like to use beer instead of water and I usuallly use a very good bock or even double bock. I would liketo experiment with other types though. Anyone here have some suggestions?

2. Porter has been working well for me.

3. Smuttynose Old Brown Dog

4. Ghost Scorpion :D

Mohican88 and match1112 like this.
  5. Something low in hops (bitterness will carry through). Have done well with some smoked beers.

6. I have found that anything too hoppy or too malty adds an unwanted bitterness to the chili. I usually ask my Bud-drinking neighbor for a can when I make chili. I always give him a Sierra Nevada Pale in return (he says he likes the SN but he continues to drink Bud.) I suppose if it has to be a Craft beer then Brooklyn Lager could be a good choice.

7. Search for a chili thread in here. A few of us posted full recipes at one point maybe 6 months ago. Prob 5 recipes in there.

Specific to your question though, I like to use a porter at bare minimum, but I've also had great luck using a non-hoppy RIS to build even more depth in the chili.

8. I didn't think of smoked beers...I'll give that a try. Thanks!

9. I'll do that! Thanks!

10. fsvan

fsvan Savant (275) Tennessee Feb 7, 2009

The last two times I've made chili I've used Terrapin Wake N Bake. Came out great.

11. Music2myear

Music2myear Aspirant (25) Oklahoma Feb 11, 2013

Any good yeasty-tasting wheat beer. Added bonus: Make this up in a crock pot with cubed roast, and when you get home from work/play it smells like you have a loaf of fresh bread baking.

Sam Adams Irish Red seems to work particularly well for this and has become my wife's go-to for both pot roast (beer gravy on mashed potatoes is relevatory) and her spicy chili.

Side note: My wife is a non-beer drinker (doesn't like the bitterness, even of a hefewiess, but has come fond, if probably inaccurate, memories of a Rustic Saison we tried a few years back) and a less adventurous chef than me, but putting beer in the pot roast and then the chili was all her idea. And I'm lovin' it.

12. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I like to use a Porter or an Irish Dry Stout.

13. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

Experiment some. Use one beer this time and another next time

14. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I'll echo the porter recommendations: I use it in my chili and drink it with it as well.

15. I used Long Trail Hibernator recently, a Scotch Ale. T'was awesome!

16. Rogue Chipotle Ale is one I use often.

17. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

Porter is my go to as well, always Black Butte in the fridge (5.99/sixer)

18. I use Avery Old Jubilation or Great Divide Hibernation a lot in my chili. Theyre in season when I like to make chili so it works well. I've used Fort Collins Brewing Z before, but it is very smokey. I dial back on the smoked chile's I use in my blend (chipotle and ancho) when I use a smoked beer.