1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer from Belgium

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by premierpro, Jan 24, 2013.

1. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

My Nephew is stationed in Belgium and is going to ship me some beer. Besides Westy 12 what other beers are top notch that we can not get here?

2. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

I would certainly ask for all the Westy beers simply because the other two go unsung due to all the hype around Westy 12. I'm sure other posters would have other recommendations, so I'll let them chime in.

Jason311 likes this.
  3. Cantillon is not expensive over there if you like sours.

4. Cascade77

Cascade77 Aficionado (220) Vermont May 14, 2009

But once you add shipping any savings will evaporate. Unless of course you can not get it here.

5. He's shipping it anyway, so anything he gets "discounted" will be not so cheap anymore.

6. The Trappists other than Westy that don't export here. Westmalle Special and Chimay's table beer are two I can think of. Orval might have one, I'm not sure.

7. Westvleteren blonde, 8, and 12 are a must. And as stated, any Cantillon:)

8. I would also include Westy 8, as it is a good beer that is overshadowed by the 12. If you can't get other Belgians in your area, you should consider Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt 12, and as Seanniek said any of the Cantillon gueuze sours. All good and tasty.

9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

See what kind of Drie Fonteinen he can get

10. Hey guys...you are forgetting all the beers of the Struise Brouwers.....seriously good stuff. Westvleteren is a must and for the rest the sours if you are into that.

Thijs

tripeldubya likes this.
  11. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Orval does have one called Petite Orval. Speaking of Trappists you can't get here, Monts Des Cats (France) does distribute in Belgium.

12. Mont Cats is NOT a trappist..........It's a normal beer, not spectacular!

Thijs

13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

I believe that many of these are only available to the Paters.

14. Brasserie d'Ecaussinnes, Millevertus, Brasserie D'Bastongne, also VanSteenberge makes some beers that aren't sent here as do many breweries i.e Boon Moriau

15. I know they bottle them but whether or not they're available to the public, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Westmalle Special is though.

16. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Thank you for your help! I am sure that with your recomendations I can get a box full. Take care.