1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer from Belgium

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by premierpro, Jan 24, 2013.

1. premierpro

premierpro Member

My Nephew is stationed in Belgium and is going to ship me some beer. Besides Westy 12 what other beers are top notch that we can not get here?
  2. acevenom

acevenom Member

I would certainly ask for all the Westy beers simply because the other two go unsung due to all the hype around Westy 12. I'm sure other posters would have other recommendations, so I'll let them chime in.
    Jason311 likes this.
  3. Seanniek91

Seanniek91 Member

Cantillon is not expensive over there if you like sours.
  4. Cascade77

Cascade77 Member

But once you add shipping any savings will evaporate. Unless of course you can not get it here.
  5. Seanniek91

Seanniek91 Member

He's shipping it anyway, so anything he gets "discounted" will be not so cheap anymore.
  6. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Member

The Trappists other than Westy that don't export here. Westmalle Special and Chimay's table beer are two I can think of. Orval might have one, I'm not sure.
  7. bryanole27

bryanole27 Member

Westvleteren blonde, 8, and 12 are a must. And as stated, any Cantillon:)
  8. sbrotschul

sbrotschul Member

I would also include Westy 8, as it is a good beer that is overshadowed by the 12. If you can't get other Belgians in your area, you should consider Rochefort 10 and St. Bernardus Abt 12, and as Seanniek said any of the Cantillon gueuze sours. All good and tasty.
  9. Danny1217

Danny1217 Member

See what kind of Drie Fonteinen he can get
  10. Brabander

Brabander Member

Hey guys...you are forgetting all the beers of the Struise Brouwers.....seriously good stuff. Westvleteren is a must and for the rest the sours if you are into that.

Thijs
    tripeldubya likes this.
  11. acevenom

acevenom Member

Orval does have one called Petite Orval. Speaking of Trappists you can't get here, Monts Des Cats (France) does distribute in Belgium.
  12. Brabander

Brabander Member

Mont Cats is NOT a trappist..........It's a normal beer, not spectacular!

Thijs
  13. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Member

I believe that many of these are only available to the Paters.
  14. papagobrewing

papagobrewing Member

Brasserie d'Ecaussinnes, Millevertus, Brasserie D'Bastongne, also VanSteenberge makes some beers that aren't sent here as do many breweries i.e Boon Moriau
  15. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Member

I know they bottle them but whether or not they're available to the public, I'm not sure. I'm pretty sure Westmalle Special is though.
  16. premierpro

premierpro Member

Thank you for your help! I am sure that with your recomendations I can get a box full. Take care.