1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer geeks vs Beer snobs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by admiral1, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Beer geeks have great time drinking and loving good beer. Beer snobs are busy trying to one up each other and trying to put a label on everything.

2. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

In a fight, my money is on the beer snobs! Or was this not your point???:confused:

3. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

You are definitely the first person to draw this distinction.

4. Cee-Poe

Cee-Poe Aficionado (240) Wisconsin Feb 12, 2013

Yes, and beer snobs allow preconceived notions about a certain brewery(ies) cloud their judgment with quotes like "I don't like _________ brewery because they've gotten too big."

BDEE, TitusD84, MilkManX and 7 others like this.
  5. Gameover170

Gameover170 Savant (285) Indiana Feb 8, 2013

They are definitely the classic one uppers. "Oh you just tried Pliny? I had that 6 months ago"

6. rails

rails Aficionado (170) California Nov 8, 2012

I only drink whales. I leave the rest for the common folk.

actually I like to tell people I have the younger on tap at my pad

7. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Snobs look down on people and make overly generalized statements in order to to prove their ways are better. If we are honest the OP was kinda snobby towards supposed snobs. Vicious circle we have here.

8. Anybody else wondering what led OP to come to such a shocking conclusion? There's gotta be a story here.

FriarTuckInLuck, SatlyMalty and Tut like this.
  9. GuzzLah

GuzzLah Savant (445) Illinois Mar 2, 2013

I have found that many people consider other people to be a beer snob, if you drink more expensive beer than the person doing the name calling. This also happens while drinking craft beer that costs about the same as the Macros.

10. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Geeks are often self-proclaimed.
    Snobs always deny.

11. Geeks love good beer

Snobs hate bad beer

Saviorself, Big_V, ressling and 35 others like this.
  12. SomethingClever

SomethingClever Advocate (535) Ohio Feb 22, 2013

I think the snobs are overtly dauchey the geeks are humbly dauchey I like my dauchery blatant I'll take the snob geek

FriarTuckInLuck likes this.
  13. LMAO! This is as entertaining as the "rare beer horders are dicks" thread.

BigBarley, watsonmd and DHS1029 like this.
  14. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

If I get an IPA that is more than 2 weeks old, so help me... I'll drain pour that MFer!

15. I concur, but only someone who is both a beer geek and beer snob would start a thread and offer up this conclusion.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  16. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

I'm a beer drinker. :cool:

Big_V, jRocco2021, chuckstout and 7 others like this.
  17. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I can get behind this definition.

18. Snobs consistently brag about their drain-pours.

ressling, TitusD84, mfnmbvp and 9 others like this.
  19. Beer Geek will try as many beers as they can. Beer Snob will not buy a beer unless they know its rating/reputation and wont buy it if its rating is deemed too low by them.

20. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

A beer geek is impressed w/ beer. A beer snob is impressed w/ himself or herself.

21. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Beer geeks to me are interested in the brewing methods, hops/malts/yeast used, the history, proper glassware, etc... without being an elitist about it. I fit into this and if someone asks me about something I'll talk about it. Also if someone mentions some IPA they have had recently the beer geek will say nice glad you enjoyed it, rather then saying its alright but xxxx ipa is much better.

Docrock, devlishdamsel and brureview like this.
  22. Snobs are the people you want to give a blind tasting to...

23. Good points. There is no room for snobbery in craft beer. Beer is celebrated best as a communal beverage.
    It's a shared non-elitist enjoyment. Snobbery is exclusionary. There is no room for snobbery in the celebration of beer. Leave that for the oenophiles.

24. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (420) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

I assume that if they can afford to "one up" their fellow snobs, they can afford their own hired goons to beat up the geeks? "Hey Moose, Rocco...help the judge find his checkbook!

NoLeafClover44 likes this.
  25. Jacurdy60

Jacurdy60 Savant (355) Alabama Jan 23, 2013

Beer geeks enjoy craft beer because it is a passion. Beer snobs enjoy craft beer for the status and how it makes them look superior to be drinking a rare beer.

Citra, Big_V, Hotmetal1 and 2 others like this.
  26. That's it? I have Pliny the 3rd on tap at my place. Makes a great black and tan with Westvleteren 18.

Hotmetal1, nloetz, DanK4 and 6 others like this.
  27. robwater

robwater Aficionado (215) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

This is just a prelude to my Darker Lord.

aasher and loweball727 like this.
  28. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

What does dauchey mean?

aasher likes this.
  29. I'd probably agree with this, but also add that people can sometimes be snobs. It's all relative. If I'm at a party, I'll drink some stella. Do I think it's a fantastic beer? No. Am I going to enjoy myself anyway and not complain? Yes. I would probably not drink bud light though. I just don't like it; never did. Some people may find that snobby.

TicoCali likes this.
  30. I second this.
    Knowledge beats Name recognition :D.
    Roshambeer!

Citra likes this.
  31. I find it Ironic that you have an avatar saying life is too short to drink cheap beer btw.

32. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

We're all beer snobs...

Don't tell me it doesn't piss you off when one of your friends tries to tell you that Rolling Rock is better than something like Lagunitas Sumpin Sumpin.

33. beer geeks don't waste their time arguing with beer snobs

jgluck, Hotmetal1, godlessape and 3 others like this.
  34. Geeks love beer and love talking about beer, even beer that they don't like. Snobs just like to tell you some great beer they have had.

35. Snobs chase whale after whale while leaving all the great beer on the shelves.... Beer lovers drink 99% shelf beer and 1% rare/whales!

36. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

I always say "If you cant drink bad beer Then you don't really like beer." A beer snob is a beer snob because they like to feel as if they know more than some one else, But who really knows more about beer than the guy who will indiscriminately drink any and all beers?

37. I agree. Good average beer is good beer. I have a friend who says he hates American beer and always get excited talking about the Belgian stuff. You can make great beer in the North Pole, so long as you have the right ingredients and equipment.

I think a geek wants to know what a style is like and is happy when a beer represents that style, whereas a snob wants everything to taste like his favorite.

38. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Why would it piss anyone off? Friends are entitled to their opinions just as much as we are to ours. Even if I do have a friend who thinks Rolling Rock is the best beer on the planet, I am still going to enjoy my choice in beer just the same.

Rob315 and crytion like this.
  39. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

While I am aware that a filet mignon is a superior cut of beef I am known to bash a hamburger once in a while....even though I love the shit out of my filets.

40. AceMaster

AceMaster Aficionado (185) Iowa Jan 23, 2012

i wish they had a like times 10 on this site damn it!

Citra likes this.