1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beer heavy recipes

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by eatabagofbooger, Feb 21, 2013.

1. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I recently started cooking a lot with bourbon (mostly bourbon barbecue and bourbon baked apples). I never particularly cared for bourbon recipes, as I found that the bourbon flavors are so subtle that they are rarely even detectible. I've found that the trick is to go heavy handed with the bourbon, making it a key component of the flavor profile of the food, and to find spices and foods that will go well with this approach.

I was thinking about cooking with beer and find that I have the same experience with beer based recipes-the beer is included in such low concentrations (not to mention the fact that many of the flavorful components-eg hops and alcohol-degrade with heat) that I can barely pick them out. So please share your favorite beer heavy recipes! That is, recipes where the flavor of the beer comes through STRONG and melds well with the other ingredients.
  2. One of the easiest ways to make the beer stick out is to not cook it too much. So make a salad dressing with a citrusy IPA, EVOO, champagne vinegar (if you want... could skip this), and some honey. Or make a gravy out of a roux and scotch ale. Point is, the less you cook the beer, the more the flavor you are used to will come out.
  3. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Good call! I hadn't thought of a salad dressing, bu that sounds awesome-I'm gonna try that this weekend.
  4. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Making soups, stews, vinaigrettes, gravies, stocks, and braising liquids.
  5. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Substitute half the water for beer in any dried been soup mix, I use whatever growler is flat. I use a lighter beer for pulled pork. Any basic beer is awsome for bread, but I use ruthless rye when I can, you will taste it! You can make chocolate cake with stout. Hot chocolate with stout. Poke holes in the tops of cupcakes and drizzle with stout.
  6. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,060) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Stews and the occasional poaching. The gravy was an interesting experiment, not for everybody's taste though, but I found it just fantastic... Found these make the beer come through, particularly the poaching.

Guinness Stew

Poaching Brats in beers...

7. I've posted on this before... but poaching brats imparts less flavor then simply marinating them in beer (this is based on science). Go for a long marinating time if you want to use beer with your brats.
  8. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I just steamed/boiled (it foamed) crab legs in porter, it was great.
  9. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,060) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

you can try both booger, give em both a shot.
  10. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Poaching is good with fish.