1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in Checked Bags

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dvmin98, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Anyone ever try taking beer on a plane in a checked bag? If so, how was your experience?

2. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

There's a bunch of threads about this. I'd just do a search.

Short answer--lots of folks do it and if you pack well, you'll be fine.

pitweasel, Rollzroyce21 and Rizalini like this.
  3. Many times. It's always been fine.

4. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Savant (255) North Carolina Jan 19, 2013

So nothing has exploded on you guys at all? Ive been curious about this as well

5. I've done it many times, never had an issue. Even gotten the paper in my suitcase that said my bag was inspected and still got everything intact.

6. Nope nothing. I've traveled with extra suit cases full of just beer too.

Revenant likes this.
  7. craftpunk

craftpunk Disciple (55) Illinois Feb 6, 2013

took some dark lord to Vancouver from Chicago. i dont know if the wax helped, but it made it safely.

8. DIM

DIM Advocate (735) Pennsylvania Sep 28, 2006

I've done it many times with no issues. even when my bag has been searched, the tsa has been very respectful. they have always repackaged everything very well.

9. freeride

freeride Aficionado (150) Illinois Dec 18, 2012

Travel every week and 80% of the time have beer to take home. Only lost 1 bottle...and it was my homebrew :(

10. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Savant (255) North Carolina Jan 19, 2013

Well that is Great news to hear! No more shipping stuff home when i go on vacations

11. Awesome...thanks! Heading to Vegas and may be bringing beer along for an IP trade.

12. HighWine

HighWine Savant (375) Illinois Dec 11, 2010

Just know that airlines insure checked luggage against loss or damage but do not insure boxes that are checked as baggage.

13. I have packed 12 oz - 750 ml bottles and 12 oz cans on numerous occasions and it's never been an issue. I typically roll each bottle or can in a different article of clothing and pack them as tightly together as possible. No leaks or breaks.

14. [​IMG]

This came back with me from a recent trip to Sonoma and San Diego, all in checked bags.

ressling, RWNay, jcb7472 and 3 others like this.
  15. jazzmac

jazzmac Savant (265) Connecticut Nov 8, 2002

My buddy just went to Cigar City packed a bunch of beer in his checked bag. When he got home opened the bag, TSA had searched it and a bottle was missing (a collaboration braggot)!!! None of the more widely available CCB beers were missing.

16. made it back from Belgium with a suitcase of 13 bottles and 6 glasses including the very fragile double Kwak glasses with wooden holder. Dirty clothes act as great cushions.

ressling, regularjohn and KVNBGRY like this.
  17. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

Airplanes are pressurized, otherwise those can sodas and your skull would basically explode.

as for everyone else, just take a picture of it/write a note on them/wrap them in shirts/pants/towels and send them below.

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  18. Was this cause of TSA or did it explode?

19. Roudy

Roudy Savant (320) Georgia Aug 20, 2009

Every West Coast trip I'll stuff 3-4 bombers in my softsided suitcase. Never had an issue. I just pack lots of dirty laundry around the bottles and keep them away from the edges of the suitcase.

20. For a split second, I thought you guys were talking about ways to smuggle beer...

Not that you would need to (unless you have some really "special" ingredients in your home brew).

21. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

My last trip to Vermont, I checked a cooler of ice and a case of Heady Topper. I was asked about the contents of the cooler and said it contained liquid ice and canned bevereages. They were interested in knowing that the ice was liquid, as opposed to dry ice. The cans arrived safely, still had a little ice in the cooler, but one of the cooler's handles was broken off. It was great to be able to keep the Heady cold from purchase to fridge.

albertq17 and pbs76 like this.
  22. pbs76

pbs76 Aspirant (35) Washington Nov 24, 2012

Even corked/caged bottles make it home safely in checked luggage. Never travel without a bit of room to take home a treasure with you!

23. Moutstainz

Moutstainz Zealot (75) Illinois Mar 5, 2011

How much did your bags weigh? lol

Rizalini likes this.
  24. Moutstainz

Moutstainz Zealot (75) Illinois Mar 5, 2011

We do this all the time as well. We always bring beer out to trade/give away as well. Socks and extra t-shirts are your friends. I have also found that Pliny's fit nicely into high top sneakers.

25. I put a note on top of the inside of my bag politely explaining the contents and asking the TSA agents to be careful searching it, and thank them in advance. Even the times where my bag has been searched everything has been in perfectly good order and nothing has ever broken.

Packing at the Seattle airport:

[​IMG]

Everything back safe and sound:

[​IMG]

jcb7472, Revenant and CurtFromHershey like this.
  26. 12 bottle wine shipper ended up at around 45, my suitcase with my clothes for a week and all but 2 of the 12oz'ers (wife's bag) ended up at 49 lbs. Brought a luggage scale along for the occasion :)

27. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Every time packing bottles my bag was searched, and only a growler sprung a leak during one trip, so I don't try to carry full growlers anymore. FedEx is not a bad way to go if you have enough valuable beers to make it worth it.

28. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

I travelled from Mexico to Europe with a stop to the US, having in my bag a couple of cans, a six pack of Bohemia Chocolate Stout and some other south american beers. When I finally got home, I found a TSA note saying my bag was searched. Everything was fine except for one broken bottle ( I don't remember what it was, but I didn't cry, so it was not something I didn't have already :rolleyes: ). If dirty clothes don't do their job as cushion, they work as sponge too.
    Also annoyed that my bag was searched without me present, and by the fact the note mentions that they have the right to even break any locks on the suitcase without even bother telling you.

fmccormi likes this.
  29. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (515) Texas Nov 27, 2011

The other option is to check a box. I fly Southwest a lot, so this option comes in handy with them, since 2 bags are free. On my last trip to Portland, I picked up a 12 bottle styro shipper there, filled it up, and checked it in as luggage.

Apparently TSA went through it, but they did a nice job taping it up (with their special TSA "Inspected" tape) and everyone made it home just fine.

[​IMG]

30. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

How about carry on?

31. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Sure, if it's no more than 3oz and put into a ziplock bag.

32. No because of the stupid 3-1-1 liquid rule. Unless, of course, there's a shop inside the secure zone that sells beer. Last time I was at the Eugene airport you could buy bombers of Deschutes Black Butte porter and carry them on, so I scooped a couple up.

ColdOne likes this.
  33. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Thats pretty awesome.

34. No carry on. 3 ounces or less for liquid.

Also, just had an issue with southwest airlines. They pulled my bags and told me I needed to have the bottles bubble wrapped. I had 8 bottles needing bubble wrap that I didn't wrap myself and they charged me $20 for the lot and did it themselves.

The bag that they didn't check had 2 bottles wrapped in towels. Unfortunately, my Victory at Sea popped its cap and 90% of it leaked into the one towel. My Palette Wrecker lost it's seal and was leaking CO2 so I just drank that as soon as I unpacked. This was the first time that bottles I wrapped in clothing myself didn't make the trip. J

35. only if you wanna bring back bottles 3oz and below

36. And still, that was cheaper than the $25-50 other airlines charge per bag.

37. Not knocking SWA at all. I was happy to pay the $20 to ensure my bottles arrived safely and in a timely manner since this happened while the final flight to Chicago was boarding.

38. of the 500 or so bottles i've checked in over the years, i've only had two bottles break...

my packing isn't too vigorous either. i just use some bubble wrap and throw bottles between clothes or towels.

39. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Two 6-shippers. Filled with 750's is roughly 37 lbs. Add in clothes to your several pound bag and prepare for awesomeness.

40. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

If you find some unexpected 12oz bottles on a trip, I've found they fit nearly into shoes for some extra padding.

BedetheVenerable and JonnyBeers like this.