1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in Checked Bags

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dvmin98, Feb 13, 2013.

1. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (260) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

Check airline policies. American requires that alcohol be packed in styrofoam containers. I almost had a really bad experience when my bag checked in at 49 pounds and I said something like "yeah, I get to take all the beer home". The gate agent told me it had to be in styrofoam. I assured her that it was well packed, but it would have sucked to not get to keep it.

2. EvoJoe

EvoJoe Savant (275) North Carolina Jan 19, 2013

The cabin is pressurized not the underbelly where cargo is stored. Just saying

3. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

4. I once checked a heavy-duty rubbermaid tote with nothing but 19 bombers from Midnight Sun and dirty clothes from Anchorage to Baltimore. Everything arrived safe and sound.

5. DanGolfs86

DanGolfs86 Savant (300) Illinois Dec 2, 2010

ditto

6. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Savant (340) California Feb 1, 2011

Found that a soft cooler with gel packs kept my 2L growler (compression seal) protected and cold enough that it could be enjoyed immediately upon arrival back at home. I wouldn't try it with a screw cap growler.

7. KenC

KenC Aficionado (240) New Jersey Jan 21, 2011

Never a problem with planes or TSA.

ALWAYS put each bottle and the associated packing material in an individual plastic bag!!

Also, ski boots hold 22oz.'ers perfectly.

Zimm and fmccormi like this.
  8. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

I flew back from WA to NC through Southwest, which allows you to check two things for free. I used the second free checked bag to send a 12 bottle wine shipper full of beer and brought my tulips in my carry-on since they're more fragile.

9. Moutstainz

Moutstainz Zealot (75) Illinois Mar 5, 2011

Ahhhh the old 12 bottle wine shipper. You checked it? Is it reusable? And did the airlinecharge you to check it?

10. My record is 54 bottles on one trip so far.

I always grab free newspaper publications for wrapping, in whatever city I am in. Then I put them in old socks I bring along. I also have used non-square bags (travelers backpacks and the like) as I figure they wouldn't be able to put my bag of beer under other bags since it's an odd shape; which hopefully reduces the risk of a crush or something.

Just wrap them good and you'll be fine.

11. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Savant (390) Maryland Aug 5, 2008

Ziplock bags are your friend. I do wrap a bottle in newspaper and then in bubble wrap, and place bottle in a ziplock bag, wrap in clothes. The bag is more insurance, so it won't leak on yours or others bags.

fmccormi and richardflyr like this.
  12. No, that is not correct. A Jetliner is fully pressurized, the belly would collapse otherwise. Planes expand and contract from takeoff to airborne and landing. Trying to pressurize half the plane isn't practical.

If you brought your pet with it goes in the cargo hold. Fido dies when crusing at 35,000 feet...and not pressurized.

ericj551, GFG, AdamP and 1 other person like this.
  13. Petcha

Petcha Savant (305) Minnesota Jul 30, 2012

Brought back a growler of Pliny to MN in my suitcase. No problems. Nice RR souvenir too :)

14. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

I win. 5 cases plus another 10 bottles in a bag. so... 70 750s.

[​IMG]

pyite, badb_rad and richardflyr like this.
  15. crusian

I fly AA every week. never packed in styrofoam before. the 70 bottles above, no styrofoam. She asked what was in them, and I told her.

16. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

That thing is pretty sweet but a little expensive at $24.95 a pop. Especially when you would want to bring home several bottles...

17. Not even stuff from HoTD.

18. luisfrancisco

luisfrancisco Savant (285) Mexico Dec 1, 2009

On my last trip I packed 4 different bombers. One of them broke and it was snuggly wrapped inside a cushy jacket (which absorbed most of the liquid). My bag still smells like BORIS the Crusher and has a huge ass black stain. I think it's pretty cool. My wife doesn't.

Zimm likes this.
  19. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Must be Itallian. Birra del Borgo?

RblWthACoz likes this.
  20. PHKrames

PHKrames Aficionado (225) Illinois Sep 14, 2011

I travel to Philly once a month from Chicago for the pas 2 years. Socks and ziplock bags are your friends. I find that if you put your stuff in the middle of the suitcase between your dirty clothes, you're good to go. Ive never lost anything and I usually bring back a few bombers and a couple of six packs each tims.

21. Walden97

Walden97 Aficionado (120) Texas Mar 31, 2011

I use a Wine Check, a reusable rolling luggage piece that holds a 12 bottle Styrofoam shipper (and the shippers last multiple times). On designated beer trips, I use 2 wine checks and a carryon backpack for my clothes.

http://thewinecheck.com

[​IMG]

22. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Savant (250) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

I checked a box with about 15 750ml of hill farmstead. The lady at Logan just asked if they are secure and wouldn't leak. She was even nice enough to tape the box up better and put a few fragile stickers on the box!

23. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

See, I've actually had a different experience with TSA. I've never had beer break in my luggage, but I have had two bottles of cachaça and a coffee mug (all on different flights, too) break in my luggage because of the way TSA repacked my bag. EDIT: actually, three bottles of cachaça, now that I think about it, all on different flights (and all purchased in Brazil, because it's almost impossible to get decent cachaça in the U.S.)

It sucks when you land in England, after having very carefully and very deliberately packed your bag with lots of padding and sealing up liquids and doing everything to be careful with breakable items, to find that it was all jumbled up and breakable items were just thrown wherever, next to vulnerable areas of your luggage, resulting in all of your clothes reeking of liquor and with tiny shards of broken glass everywhere.

24. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (770) Florida Oct 24, 2010

Bottom line, I've gotten to the point where I will specifically ask for "fragile" stickers and leaving a hand-written note in my luggage asking TSA to be very careful with my bags' contents and to replace things to their original position after searching their contents. Something about being a young male flying solo internationally once or twice a year puts me on search lists, I guess.

25. lionssoccer13

lionssoccer13 Savant (295) Florida Jun 30, 2011

Came back from Belgium with 15 bottles of Cantillon and 3F stuff. No issues at all other than the outrageous heavy bag fee, lol.

26. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

I once packed a few Pliny bottles and a bottle of Dave leaving Portland Airport. The Dave didn't make it but at least the Pliny did.

Seriously though, I had a bottle of Big Bad Baptist taken from my bag a few years back by TSA. Weak.

27. RWNay

RWNay Savant (465) Illinois Oct 7, 2010

Just flew home yesterday with 4 bombers and 6 singles in my bag. Long story short, after 2 canceled flights and multiple airports, I made it home with all my beer and no problems. Although I did get my bag searched 3 different times....

28. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (615) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Over the years we have carried hundreds of bottles of beers in checked luggage. We always wrapped them in socks and then rolled them up again in the clothes. Only had one bottle break over the years, but I suspect we were getting a little cocky.

29. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Socks plus dirty/cushy clothes. I do this often, it works fine. Just have the edges with a solid layer of padding and on the bottom and top. Bubble wrap if you got it otherwise just use 1 shirt + 1 sock per bottle.

30. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I actually bought them on sale at Christmas for around $14 a piece. Worth it to me for wine and pricier beer.

31. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I buy a roll of bubble wrap, cheap kitchen bags, and rubber bands. Wrap bottles and secure with rubber bands. Put in bag, squish out air, twist a few times and put it back inside itself (essentially double bagging it), squish out the air, then tie the bag. I fit 11 bottles. I had to put about 4 pounds of clothes into my carry on since it was 53.5 lb at the airport, but that wasn't a huge deal.

32. richardflyr

richardflyr Savant (400) Virginia Jul 28, 2009

I wrap my beers in hotel hand towels, then put those in ziploc bags, squeeze the air out. Then I make sure that there is padding between the ziploc bags. Never had a beer breakage yet in about 3 years of doing this regularly for business travel.

Honestly, I think if your bag is closer to 50 lbs, you're safer than if don't. It's a lot harder to throw a 50 lbs bag.

33. tgchief

tgchief Savant (315) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

I have traveled with growlers and never lost one yet, knock knock knock...

34. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

How do I ship this girl home?

35. crusian

you steal towels? Thats not cool.

36. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

those beers look happy to have had a safe trip

JulianB likes this.
  37. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

$14.99 isn't bad. The fact that you can reuse them time after time is pretty cool

38. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Re-purposed wine shipper. :)

39. One friend went to FL last weekend and brought some Cigar City back with him in his checked back no problem. While my roommate was made to repackage his 7 bottles into styrofoam boxes and send them seperately this past weekend.. Sucked, but the RR's were worth it! AND I have the packing materials to make my first 6 bottle trade... I'm in DC, holler at me!

40. Twice I've had bottles leak through a seemingly sealed cap in checked luggage. Each time, maybe an ounce or two of beer leaked out, but what was left was still fairly carbonated. I've probably transported 200 bottles in checked luggage, so not too bad of a track record.