1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in Darwin

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by sinkas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

Hi all,
    anyone got any tips on good beer in Darwin,
    I cant find much, online,
    I am sure there was athread before the forum shit itself, and I think there is a member who fifo there or lives there?
    any input welcomed,
    I am up there for a week, on holiday,
  2. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Isn't there a "micro brewery" up there now?

And stock up on Darwin Stubbies. Re-sale value in Perth is huge.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  3. Seems like NT is a wasteland for craft stuff. The fact that there was no Pint of Origin for NT during Good Beer Week kinda hammered that home.
  4. mungus

mungus Savant (260) Australia Oct 19, 2010

Vintage cellars and Parap fine foods are probably your best bet at the moment for retail.

Deck bar probably the best bar with their craft offerings, although Nirvana are decent also (awesome food and atmosphere too).

But wasteland is fairly accurate yes.
  5. CromDubh

CromDubh Aficionado (135) Australia May 17, 2009

Last I heard about the micro brewery was that the local macro pubs in the area it was planned for were ganging up to stop the licensing authority giving it the go ahead. Yes, it's a beer desert really, a craft brewery/restaurant would go so well up here.
    As Mungus says, Vintage Cellars and PFF have a small range of craft, Vintage Cellars are improving. Deck Bar have some Belgians as well as craft. There's an Irish pub down on the waterfront that also does some British bottles. Superb time of year for a holiday, but of course the place is heaving.
  6. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (180) Australia Jul 9, 2008

Hi all,
    well,
    enjoyed my trip to Darwin,
    and , found some tasty Vale IPA adn Knappsiten up there,
    A local art dealer told me that there is a brewery "1 Mile Brewing" set up by a industrial chemist that will have a pale ale on at the SLide bar? soon
    apparently its going to be producing 2 regular beers for that place, might even be on tap by now, if you want the contact for the guy, let me know
  7. Arassuil

Arassuil Aficionado (110) Australia Jan 21, 2008

'The Precinct' opened recently and have some reasonable taps. Nothing too heavy being it's Darwin, but getting a Stone & Wood is always nice. Despite their website stil in pre-open mode, they are open.
  8. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I feel for you guys who you guys who reside in the NT

I will be praying you for you tonight
  9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

They still make them? Wow. How cool is that?
  10. mungus

mungus Savant (260) Australia Oct 19, 2010

The Precinct is far and away the best spot for beer at the moment - Hop Hog on tap and moondog in the fridge. Completely unheard of up here
  11. CromDubh

CromDubh Aficionado (135) Australia May 17, 2009

Completely agree, great range of beers for Darwin, obviously not for you spoilt southerners. Unfortunately had just missed a keg of Angry Man, so had a Hop Hog. Also on tap were Prickly Moses, Two Birds and Mountain Goat. In the fridge were a range of Holgate, Bridge Road, 4Pines, Nail and others. They are rotating taps so hope some more Murray's arrives.
    mungus likes this.