1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in Omaha, NE

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by BeersAndBears, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

Any of you guys going to the Beer Corner Craft Beer Swap on the 16th?
  2. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (255) Nebraska May 25, 2005

pretty cool seeing funkwerks on the shelves today.
    dbossman and BrettHead like this.
  3. FTFY
    dbossman and BrettHead like this.
  4. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Not currently planning on it, but know some people who are
  5. BeersAndBears

BeersAndBears Savant (375) Nebraska Dec 30, 2012

Has BA Bigfoot shown up in Omaha/Council Bluffs?
  6. BrettHead

Came and went in Omaha last Friday. 4 cases for the city. Last word I heard about Iowa was that they were not expecting to get it at all.
  7. BrettHead

As already mentioned, Brix has warm beer as well. But furthermore, the vast majority of beers at Beertopia are available both warm or cold; your choice. Also, it is highly unlikely that any other store in Omaha moves craft faster than Beertopia.
    dbossman likes this.
  8. poopinmybutt

damn it, this stuff never hit lincoln

i wanna turn this into a rolling 'spotted in neb' thread - you guys seen grainstorm, la folie or amuste yet?
  9. Grainstorm is possible tomorrow. La Folie...it is on tap right now at the midtown Brix, but nothing for bottles, Amuste...not seen or heard anything yet.
  10. BrettHead

La Folie is at Beertopia now. Grainstorm hits tomorrow (and some Lagunitas 6 packs including sucks!). Amuste will be at the Extreme Beerfest I know that, but it hasn't hit town yet.

As Saboteur mentioned, delicious draft La Folie (2012 I believe) at Brix Midtown for the past two weeks :)

Edit: Sidenote, I tried Amuste on a recent tour of the brewery and remember liking it but don't remember anything about the taste, lol. Too much free beer before that.
    dbossman and poopinmybutt like this.
  11. poopinmybutt

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heard these were not coming until march

might have to venture up this weekend to pick up a case
  12. beernews

beernews Aspirant (25) Nebraska Feb 15, 2013

It also made its way south to lincoln.
  13. BrettHead

And our sucks in gone...in like 4 hours! Supposed to get another 15 cases soon (maybe tomorrow).
  14. BeersAndBears

I scooped up 2 sixers just in the nick of time. Thanks for the heads up.
    BrettHead likes this.
  15. BeersAndBears

Have you guys heard much about any of the limited or BA beers that will be at the extreme fest?
  16. BrettHead

I am really looking forward to a couple BA beers that I expect/hope Toppling Goliath will bring.
    dbossman likes this.
  17. TomClem

TomClem Savant (260) Nebraska Mar 7, 2012

If I recall last year they may have released a digital version of the program on thier facebook page a day or two before the event. I really appreciated that since it allows me to plan ahead better. I have not seen or heard anything for this year. The moon was pouring BCBS last week, maybe they saved a bit in that keg for the fest!
  18. BrettHead

Oh also, don't miss the New Belgium seminar...
  19. TomClem

For what it's worth I did attend the Beer Corner Craft Beer Swap. It was a well done event. The discription of rare and one-off beers was misleading. I think there were roughly 11 people there. I think 9 had almost exclusively non-NE distro beer. There was a good selection of DFH, Bells, etc. The top want was Zombie Dust. 1 person brought a 6 pack and it was gone after the 7th pick. let me know if you have questions. I talked to several people afterwards and it seemed like everyone walked away very happy. Hopefully they continue to do it for OBW.
  20. BrettHead

Yeah, I didn't attend because I noticed it was worded as "Rare and unavailable craft beer is encouraged".

I wasn't about to potentially end up trading say founder's breakfast stout for odell IPA and other in-state beers.

edit: So I figured I'd sit this year out and find out what the event was like.
  21. TomClem

I took 12 high end 12oz, 12 non-NE 12oz and 12 bombers. Ended up using my low end set and trading a higher end 12oz and a bomber on the side. Maybe I'll see you there next year!
    I gave:
    Central Waters Brewer's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout
    Cape Ann Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout
    Ale Asylum Contorter
    Left Hand Milk Stout - Nitro
    Alltech’s Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. Kentucky Barrel Ale
    Real Ale Brewing Company Full Moon Pale Rye Ale
    New Holland Dragon's Milk
    Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers
    Bell's Java Stout
    Ipswich Oatmeal Stout
    Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald
    Southern Tier 2X Milk Stout

I got:
    Upslope Inda Pale Ale
    Dogfish Head Burton Baton
    Dogfish Head 90 Minute
    Terrapin Wake-n-bake
    Boulevard Tank 7
    3 Floyds Zombie Dust
    Stone Colab The Perfect Crime
    Oskar Blues Old Chub
    Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers
    North Coast Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
    Goose Island Bourbon County Stout x2
    lvoutlawjlh and BrettHead like this.
  22. BeersAndBears

Tons of Sucks at Whole Foods FYI. Lets keep the tips coming for each other. Thanks.
    BrettHead likes this.
  23. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Savant (305) Nebraska Nov 21, 2012

Looked like 2 cases of La Folie at the Peony Park Hy-Vee yesterday. Also some Insanity and (I think) some Heavenly Fejola/Cascara de Quad, though I'm not sure on that.
    BrettHead likes this.
  24. poopinmybutt

how are the roads in omaha? i was thinking of coming up tomorrow...lincoln actually has all the main roads totally cleared, but i know there was more snow in omaha
  25. TomClem

The main roads are just fine. Side streets are a bit dicey. Come on up!
    BrettHead likes this.
  26. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

I had to miss this event. Bummed that I could of scored some Zombie Dust. :oops:
  27. BeersAndBears

What did you guys and gals think of the Extreme Beer Fest?
  28. TomClem

EBF was OK. The room was huge but could have handled the amount of people better if it had been arranged differently. The dance floor space was under utilized. A couple of the isles were really packed and hard to get around in for the entire fest. The band was pretty loud so it made talking to the brewers or other friends challenging. They stopped opening bottles at 6:30pm so after that it was really hard to get a pour. Cheers to Lagunitas for actually pouring until the fest was to end at 7pm!

Beer selection was pretty good. They had some special releases i enjoyed like Old Raspy 14 & 15. The local homebrewers always bring awesome stuff! The educational seminar I attended was good.

Toppling Goliath was phenomenal! I had not had any of their beers prior and they all impressed me. Pseudo Sue was right up there for the best beer at the fest.

Edit: Forgot to add a shout out to Nebraska Brewing Company for bringing out some vintage Toasted Barn! That was great to see and taste!
    lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  29. BeersAndBears

Where is the nearest location to Omaha to get some of the good Founders Imperial Stouts?
  30. BrettHead

31. siouxbrew

siouxbrew Aficionado (110) Iowa Nov 22, 2007

I believe there is still some Breakfast Stout in the cooler at Charlie's Wine and Spirits in Sioux City. Call before contemplating a road trip.

Sioux City never received any Founders Imperial Stout, but it's still all over in Des Moines.

The Sioux City distributor did order KBS, but unknown if any will show up.
    BrettHead and TheBushman like this.
  32. BeersAndBears

Can someone list the best bottle shops to find these beers in both Sioux City and Des Moines? Thanks again for the tips.
  33. dbossman

dbossman Savant (430) Nebraska Apr 27, 2009

Charlies in sioux city. In des moines, the best places are the hyvees or beercrazy (though it isn't as good as it used to be).
  34. siouxbrew

siouxbrew Aficionado (110) Iowa Nov 22, 2007

Charlie's has about a case of Breakfast Stout as of today
  35. BeersAndBears

I literally just walked out with 3 of the 4 packs. Thanks guys.
    Ristaccia and BrettHead like this.
  36. BeersAndBears

There is some March dated Sucks at the Hy-vee up by Costco, and one 4 pk of BCBS at Cubbys down in the market. Does anyone else have a tip for rare or limited brews in Omaha right now?
  37. TomClem

I've heard the Breckenridge Imperial 72 sweet stout is back in town, but haven't picked any up yet. Should hit a variety of locations and stick around for a little while.
  38. dmfc906

dmfc906 Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

I'm in town for work pretty much every week from Chicago....staying near 72nd and Dodge....anything good nearby there? (bars, bottleshops?) Things I may not find in Chicago?
  39. Ristaccia

Ristaccia Savant (305) Nebraska Nov 21, 2012

I believe Spirit World still has some La Folie and Rye-on-Rye. Beertopia also had a fresh shipment of Sucks in when I was down there on Saturday along with Palate Wrecker 4-packs, though I'm not sure how much of that has moved.
  40. dbossman

dbossman Savant (430) Nebraska Apr 27, 2009

Go to the Beercorner at 36th and Farnam (not too far from 72nd and Dodge) for Crescent Moon, Beertopia, Huber Haus, and Max and Joe's. There are plenty of other good places (the Benson neighborhood, in general, at 60th--ish and Maple is also full of beery places) in town but that's a nice start.