1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in Port Aransas ?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Wingfan13, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

I am heading there for the first time in a couple of weeks from Austin and I am just wondering if anyone knows of a good beer store there or on the way ? Do the HEBs have the same selections as the Austin area stores ? Should I just stock up here in Austin instead of hoping I find something ?

Thanks in advance

2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Best option in the area is Liquid Town (on Alameda) in Corpus Christi. They have an absolutely killer selection. Just watch for dusty IPAs. They have some amazing old bottles (and better prices than in Austin) in that store.

There's also a Spec's in Corpus that's... alright (not as good as Austin) and an HEB Plus on SPID just before getting to Port Aransas that's got an okay selection.

There's actually a brewpub on Port Aransas too (Port Aransas Brewing Company), which I frankly think kinda sucks. :)

3. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

Port Aransas Brewing Co is your best bet on the island. Their Shandy is really too but that's about it. The cooler selection is mediocre at best. The food however is awesome. The jalapeƱo poppers are stuffed with crab meat and is excellent. The calamari is pretty good too.

4. morsetx

morsetx Aficionado (195) Texas Mar 10, 2013

Gotta agree - the pa brewing co only has their beers on tap - no bueno

5. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

I'm still in shock... there's a brewery in... Port Arthur????

6. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Port Arthur and Port Aransas aren't very close to each other. ;)

The summer before last when I went to Port A, the beer options sucked. Shiner from the IGA was the best option at the time.

air likes this.
  7. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Ya I meant Aransas... Damn ports... Damn brain

8. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aficionado (180) Texas Aug 10, 2009

Thanks all. Looks like I will bring my own and see what HEB has to offer.

9. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

Just be aware that there is no HEB in Port A. There is one in Aransas Pass, but it's terrible. The IGA on the island had better selection.

10. mhenson42

mhenson42 Advocate (570) Texas Nov 20, 2011

Go to Beaches restaurant. Great food and good TX brews on tap. It's owned by the guy who owns the PA Brewing (which is horrible for beer, but good for food)

11. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

I'm jealous. I love Port A, but I'm not going til Labor Day weekend.

12. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I'm headed down there Sunday and after my last trip this past summer I am most definitely bringing my own stash. I found some SNPA but other than that it was pretty much BMC only. Skip the Port A brewery...I'm not going to go in to too much detail but below sub par beers and food that looks and tastes like it just came off a Schwan's truck about sums it up.

13. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Trust me...there is no brewery in Port Aransas.

14. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Op. I'm from Corpus. The only places worth your time are Liquid Town on Alemaeda and either B&J's Pizza locations. I wouldn't bother with Specs. Depending on where you are from, the Heb Plus in Flour Bluff may not be worth the stop.