1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in Review

Discussion in 'Canada' started by papat444, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dunno if its too early but with a few week left in the year, what's your beer highlights for the year? Mine:

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    For me, gotta be Dieu du Ciel followed by Trou du Diable, Trois Mousquetaires, Hopfenstark, Benelux

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Driftwood, Howe Sound, Founders, Russian River, Alchemist (they make one beer but it's HT, 'nuff said), there's more but you get the idea

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Hands down, Dunham Black IPA. Naufrageur St-Barnabe is a majorly underrated brew IMO. Boson de Higgs i could drink gallons of. l'Herbe a Detourne was also stellar.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Oakham Bishop's Farewell. If this were available here, it would be a constant in my fridge. Others: Maine Beer Zoe (not because it shares my daughter's name ;), RR Consecration, Paddock Wood Barrel Full of Monkeys, Red Racer Winter Ale & ESB, Howe Sound Pothole Filler

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Jukebox Blonde, Dunham Black IPA

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Sherbrooke beers, Bellwoods, The Kernel. Have had Muskoka & Great Lakes before but the beers i've add this year really made them stand out.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Got my first taste of Cantillon & Fantome

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Dunham. It's only been a few months since they changed brewer but the effects are already present. Eloi is bringing is experiments from Cheval Blanc and it's promising. Just out is an IPA collaboration with Kissmeyer wihich is brewed with Earl Grey Tea & guava puree.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Bellwoods. Just had a few and they look very promising.

LOCAL BEER DISAPPOINTMENTS / OVERHYPED
    Dieu du Ciel's Pionniere was average for a Black Ale (hopefully the upcoming Penombre in bottles is better), Brouhaha's Choco-Framboise was atrocious (they can do better) and Unibroue's Grande Reserve 17 is good but for me, it's a bit overrated.

BEER DISAPPOINTMENTS / OVERHYPED - OTHER
    Black Albert & Surly Darkness are not the top in their respective categories IMO

MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO TRYING (OR HOPE TO TRY!)
    DDC's Isseki Nicho is finally coming out in bottles, Funky Buddha, Westvleteren 12, Flying Monkeys BNL and any other beer worth drinking!

What's yours?

2. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Nothing in Edmonton deserves this so...Wild Rose by default? I have some hopes for Hog's Head though.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Canadian: Probably Dieu du Ciel.
    Other: Russian River forever.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Have to go outside Edmonton again, but Wild Rose Rye Saison was pretty tasty.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Canadian: BA Peche Mortel, Dulcis Succubis, Black Galaxy.
    Other: Boneyard Hop Venom, GI Bourbon County Stout, HotD Adam from the Wood

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Errr....nothing?

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Muskoka Mad Tom surprised me. Tons of others but for some reason that stands out as a beer that changed my mind about a brewery.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Lots this year for me. Got to taste/traded for several rare-ish beers I've been wanting to try for a while: Westy 12, GI Rare, RR Beatification, Abyss, Dark Lord, some others. Finally went to Portland.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Hog's Head by default. At this point I pretty much know what to expect from the Edmonton breweries, so I'm looking forward to seeing what these guys do with their flagship IPA. Although now that they're also brewing Amber's beer, maybe that will turn around a bit too.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Not too sure. Paddock Wood pulled off Barrel Full of Monkeys well so I'm looking forward to what they do next. I loved everything I had from Boneyard and they're a little under the radar I guess.

Nothing from Edmonton gets a lot of hype, but I'm gonna call out Alley Kat Big Kahuna here. I can't say it was a disappointment because I wasn't expecting much, but holy crap what a total disaster of a beer. Even the stuff that wasn't outright infected just had nothing good going on. Should never have been released.

I don't know if Westy 12 was a disappointment exactly, but I didn't think it lived up to the tremendous hype. I expect now that the gift packs have been released it'll be regarded as another great Belgian quad, but not significantly better than something like Rochefort 10.

Hope to try some Driftwood seasonals next year. 2012 was really an awesome year for beer in Alberta so hopefully 2013 brings more of the same.

JohnnyBarman and Rutager like this.
  3. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERYFor me, gotta be Driftwood, Phillips followed by Lighthouse

BFAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Deschutes, Maui Brewing, Half Pints, Double Mountain, Boneyard and Wychwood
    FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Switchback IPA from Lighthouse, Fearless IPA from Dead Frog
    FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Jubelale by Dechutes
    NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Tasman Red by Lighthouse, Parallel 49
    LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCHnParallel 49, Townsite and Bridge Brewing
    BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Boneyard, American Brewing, Double Mountain

4. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Driftwood, same as last year.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Upright, Cascade, À La Fût, Cantillon, Dieu Du Ciel, Russian River, Bruery. In no particular order.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Red Racer IPA

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Bruery Melange #3, Lost Abbey Track #5, Olde Hickory Lindley Park, Upright De La Seven, Cascade Sang Noir, 3F Gueuze, Saint Lamvinus, BB Peche Mortel.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Townsite Brewing. Had a great tasting at the brewery just last week.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    À La Fût - Love their oatmeal stout and flanders red. Thanks to several awesome BA's, I have a few more on hand that I'm very excited to try.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Took the kids on a trip to Disneyland and my timing couldn't have been better. The Bruery was having special aniversary releases every day for the entire month, Lost Abbey released Track #5 on the one day I was able to get down there, visited the beautiful Stone gardens with my lovely wife, and had Pizza and Pliny at Pizza Port with the family after Legoland.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Parallel 49 - Expecting some great things from these guys.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Upright - They don't seem to get quite the recognition they deserve as one of the top breweries on this continent.

Parallel 49 - Their initial offerings weren't as exciting as I had hoped, but their small releases seem to be getting better and better.

Lost Abbey Cuvee De Tomme. I can see how some would absolutely love this very complex beer, it just wasn't my thing at all.

Black Tuesday, Black Note, Bourbon County Vanilla, Mamouche, Chocolate Rain, Fantasia, Blend Love, Juicy, Society and Solitude #5, Double Black, White Chocolate, Utopias, KtG. I can't remember the rest, but I definitely need more special occasions in my life!

tom10101 and JohnnyBarman like this.
  5. Damn, forgot Bourbon County Coffee as one of my favs. That was another that blew me away.

6. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Well Hamilton no longer has one, but I'd say the best around these parts it is still Wellington for me, although if Lakes of Muskoka comes out with another classic, they might win the day.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Weihenstephaner - I have yet to have a bad beer from them and I can't wait to give Vitus a shot.
    Samuel Smith's make a close second, but sadly we only get the same mix pack and the Winter Ale every Xmas

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Depends on the mood really. However noteworthy Ontario beers this year for me have been King Vienna Lager, Lakes of Muskoka Legendary Spring Oddity and the out of nowhere Highlander Scottish Ale

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Once again, it depends on the mood, but this years highlights are as follows. Innis & Gunn Spiced Rum Finish is the perfection of oak aged beer, Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier was incredible, Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter deserves to be famous and Kelpie Seaweed Ale reaffirmed my love for herbed/gruit beer.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Highlander Brewing Co. and their Highlander Scottish Ale. It came out of nowhere and it was good.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Renaissance Brewing's Stonecutter. I hate to say it, because they are from New Zealand but this is the perfect beer for Lamb.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Had my first Saison and finally got my hands on Kelpie, the last of the great William's Bros. Gruit beers that I had yet to try.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Give how many accolades they got for BNL if Flying Monkey's keeps releasing similar beers like this, with incredible effort and dedication, they'll go far. Lakes of Muskoka too, I'm looking forward to the second release of the Spring Oddity.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Kiuchi Brewery, if they can get back into the LCBO I will gladly buy anything with the creepy owl on it, and this goes to Japanese Beer in general if it can start making it's way across the pond.

First off, the vast majority of IPA's that have hit the Ontario market. I've gotten the feeling that the IPA has been this year's Lime craze among craft beer drinkers and, not being an IPA fan, I have been less then impressed. Second though has to go to Mill St. I think that they are finally starting to make the transition from craft brewer to near Macro brewer. The last few offerings in their mix packs have been lacklustre and while it's good to see Cobblestone Stout on shelves, the Tankhouse Ale seems to be degrading more and more. Creemore Springs Collaboration Ale I also didn't find to be my cup of tea.

Brasserie Dieu du Ciel. That's right I said it! Peche Mortel is still one of my all time favourite beers, but everything else I've gotten my hands on from these guys has been average at best. Pilsner Urquell too, I mean it was good, but the legendary Pilsner that gave birth too all lesser Pilsners it is not.

BNL Chocolate Stout is in my fridge, as with Bog Water. Brasserie Dupont Posca Rustica is another one as well as Orval and next year's Muskoka Spring Oddity.

7. 2012 is my first year in the craft beer game, so it's all new to me! 180 beers tallied so far and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Driftwood -- they're just in a league of their own in BC. Central City, Phillips, Lighthouse, Howe Sound have all been consistent for me, despite the odd bad product.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Green Flash, Lagunitas and Elysian probably the best ones that that I've explored in depth. And Unibroue!

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Central City Imperial IPA, Driftwood Sartori Harvest, Russell Hop Therapy...maybe even Phillips Green Reaper? So much great IPA coming out of BC right now.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Rochefort 10 is the only one I've assigned a perfect score so far. Trois Mousquetaires Porter Baltique blew my mind, as did Green Flash Palate Wrecker, Pliny the Elder and Parabola.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    I guess everything is a new discovery for me, but I'll go with Russell's Hop Therapy since it was recent and completely unexpected.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Hop Wired IPA from 8 Wired Brewing in New Zealand. Haven't tasted another IPA quite like it and the hops were so crisp and fresh one might think it was brewed locally, or at least on this continent.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    It was cool to try the legendary Pliny, and get my hands on a bottle of Parabola. That was very early on in my beer endeavours, and is definitely something I'd like to revisit many times in the future.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    No idea.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Ditto.

Spinnakers and Hoyne just disappoint me every time. Parallel 49 has been getting a lot of praise but is yet to really 'do it' for me. Black Christmas was pretty good, though. I drainpoured 2.5 out of 3 bottles of Phillips Krypton RyePA from a Hop Box -- the only beer I've poured to date -- and it seems to be generally well regarded. I think I just don't like rye.

Dogfish 90 Minute was just too boozy and didn't hit the spot at all. Rogue Voodoo Donut Maple Bacon Ale could inspire and essay about buyer's remorse.

Basically anything else from Firestone Walker. Also need to check Westy 12 off the list.

8. Diasagree, what an amazingly insane concept pulled off decently well. Went in thinking it would be awful and was pleased. That said, I wouldn't drink it again, but man am I glad I tried it.

The joy of beer, it is different to everyone.

JohnnyBarman likes this.
  9. (I was looking forward to doing this again, thanks papat for getting the ball rolling!)

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Probably a toss-up between Muskoka and Monkeys, being really the only ones with big beers in 750mL bottles that are actually playing around with different brews (at least that I can see - I don't get into Toronto much, so I feel I'm missing out).

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Firestone Walker. I've dug everything I've had from them this year, especially the Sucaba. This was also the year of Smuttynose for me - I made a trip down that way and had about eight of their brews, and was extremely impressed, especially with the pricetag. Finest Kind IPA and Imperial Stout were both fantastic.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    I still keep coming back to Wellington Imperial, and so far nothing has changed. I also enjoyed Great Lakes Anniversary Saison. Also dug the Amsterdam Tempest.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Firestone Walker Sucaba, Unita's Crooked Line Labyrinth

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    This was a bit of an off year for me local brew-wise, so I didn't really discover much, other than some of Great Lakes limited releases surprised me when I had them in Toronto. We only get the bottled stuff in Kitchener, and I haven't liked one (save the anniversary ales), but a lot that I had on draught were quite good.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Not really a unique discovery, but this was the year I started really cellaring and making beer runs to the States. With that in mind, I find the Fort Erie crossing to be the most reasonable - and quickest - and have enjoyed Premier Gourmet and the Transit Road Consumer Beverages for my hauls. Start the day off with lunch at the Blue Monk, and I'm all set. I've also discovered the benefits of having a wife who is also really big on craft beer - beer runs are never eye-roll-inducing, as she's equally excited to pick up a few bottles and make beer-related stops along the way.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Driving two hours out of my way to visit Southern Tier, finding out that they were closing early that day for renovation work, and not losing my temper. I am still pretty pissed about it. Maybe next year.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Again, there's not much I've been able to explore Ontario-wise this year, although I'm really hoping that Flying Monkeys BNL stout is the sign of good things to come in terms of special releases.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Pretty Things.

Waterloo IPA - not overhyped, I just hoped it was a chance for the brewery to return to something resembling what Brickman was capable of brewing. It was awful. I also thought that Brasseurs du Temps Dum-Duminator was utterly undrinkable. Didn't bother reviewing it.

Weyerbacher Merry Monks, Green Flash IPA (it was good, but really for me almost every IPA is overhyped - just a personal taste).

Hoping to be able to get in to Toronto and give Bellwood's a go, and to finally give Driftwood's lineup a try. As per the States, I'm hoping to get more Uinta, Great Divide, and Firestone in my cellar, and to switch gears and try more brews from Bells and Founders. Anything from Russian River would be a dream. I'm also hoping to road-trip out to Halifax this summer through New England, and am planning a stop at Smutty, Allagash and The Alchemist on the way.

Merry Christmas to all my Canadian BAs, and I hope you all have some wonderful brews to toast in the New Year! Happy Beer Hunting!

Rutager likes this.
  10. I'm always looking for Midwest stuff, when the weather warms up I can most likely trade you some Consecration.

JohnnyBarman likes this.
  11. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Only one local (Walkerville), but I can get to Kuhnhenn within 20 minutes so thats my vote. ;)

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Founders, Three Floyds, Greenbush, Bell's, Stone, Great Divide, Firestone Walker

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Kuhnhenn's DRIPA.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Backwoods Bastard.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Kuhnhenn's DRIPA (new to me this year)

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Great Divide's Yeti

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Attending a couple MI Beer fests and expanding my horizons in DC's and Chicago's best beer bars.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Walkerville. Hoping for good things.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Greenbush. They brought the thunder to the last beer fest I went to and they are tiny.

Walkerville's second offering, Pilsner. Fail. They went back to work on the recipe.

Three Floyds Gumballhead.

Stuff I can't get in MI. Heading to Toledo, OH for a beer run next week! :) :) :)

Rutager likes this.
  12. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Hopfenstark and Dieu Du Ciel.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Hill Farmstead, Cantillon, Alchemist (These three together make my favorite styles which I could live off of)

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Hopfenstark Saison 55 (especially when on cask)

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Hill Farmstead - Art. , Verra Mae, any of their IPA
    Heady topper, victory at sea, Cantillon Foufoune,

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Solstice dété aux framboises

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Freetail (Love their berliner), Kern, BCBCS

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Had a blabaer finally.
    Sierra Nevada Big Foot 2002 - 2012 vert

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH

A bunch of local breweries and every quebec ipa :(

Disappointed by Double simcoe, guess I expected more from it.

DDC's Isseki Nicho is finally coming out in bottles, Funky Buddha, Westvleteren 12, Flying Monkeys BNL and any other beer worth drinking!

Rutager likes this.
  13. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Amsterdam and Bellwoods. Great Lakes is a close third, no one else in ON really compares.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Founders, Russian River, Kuhnhenn, Goose Island, New Glarus, DDC, Three Floyds, Alesmith, Anchorage, Hill Farmstead

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Bellwoods Hellwoods/Bellwoods Roman Candle, Amsterdam Tempest, any Great Lakes IPA

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Heady Topper, New Glarus Belgian Red/Raspberry Tart, RR Supplication, DDC Bourbon Barrel Peche Mortel, Half Pints Demeter's Harvest

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Bellwoods anything, some funkier/barrel aged stuff from Nickel Brook

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Drank Bourbon Barrel Fourth Dementia from the barrel at Kuhnhenn with the barrel-master

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Bellwoods and Amsterdam

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Founders and Goose Island can do no wrong, Kuhnhenn is brilliant.

Indie Ale House and all the other new breweries in Toronto (and Ontario) that really stink.

Struise Double Black was good but not great, Struise Saint Amatus was metallic as f**k,

Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock

Rutager likes this.
  14. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Half Pints - As Homer Simpson would have said "De-fault!, my two favourite words in the English language!"

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Jolly Pumpkin. I love Brett and they do it well.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Hum Lud. DIPA? 'nuf said.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    God I love a fresh Furious. I love a bunch of sours, but a good fresh hoppy beer can't be beat.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Hard to discover stuff out here... Hmmm... I've liked all of Fort Garry's one-offs.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    That I really don't like reviewing beers? I'm reviewing less often now and happier for it.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Got a buddy of mine absolutely hooked on sours this summer.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Fort Garry. Seriously, their bomber one-offs have been solid (including the Eisbock which apparently was illegal :) ) and they are doing different things now, including an IPA (I'd call it entry-level after having sampled the last test batch, but heck any new entry into that market in MB is welcome)

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Beau's maybe? I've got a bunch of their one offs at my folks when I visit over Christmas and they sound solid. They just need more capacity to brew more interesting beers for ON I would think...

Jets Bud. Seriously a Bud brewed with a jug of water fans touched?

Most DIPAs I've had - Black Oaks 10 Bitter, Tree's, etc... I think I have hit my lupulin shift and now need more hops in a bottle than commercials can provide. Also Megadestroyer, just too much liquorice / anise for my liking.

Dunno, always looking for another good beer, though I have some beers I really want to drink but can never get around to chilling them...

Rutager likes this.
  15. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Driftwood, followed by Phillips, Howe Sound and Central City, honourable mention for Spinnakers. Lighthouse and Vancouver Island Brewing are moving up, too.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Half-Pints, Unibroue, Sierra Nevada, Stone, Schneider, Ayinger, Nøgne Ø, Ommegang, Fuller's, and any abbey brewery are the ones I get really excited about.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Fat Tug IPA, Red Racer IPA, and Crooked Coast are my standbys. I really liked this year's Sartori Harvest IPA, Hoyne Wolf Vine, and Pothole Filler. As far as 'local' local, the Longwood brewpub did a draught only one-off batch of saison from all their leftover ingredients one week and it was amazing.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Lil' Scrapper and Sweet Nikki Brown, Trois Pistoles and Terrible, SNPA and Celebration Ale, Arrogant Bastard and Stone IPA, Schneider Aventinus and Hopfen-Weisse, Celebrator and Ur-Weisse, Nøgne Ø Imperial Stout and #500, Ommegang Abbey Ale and Hennepin, Fuller's Vintage Ale and 1845, and any dark abbey beer have been the really good ones for me this year.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Parallel 49 and Townsite

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Croucher out of New Zealand, Creemore Springs.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Tried my first Russian River and Drie Fonteinen beers

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Hoyne, a strong first year. Lighthouse, a noticeable improvement in quality and creativity. Phillips and Driftwood because you never know what they'll come out with next. Parallel 49 looks good too.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Half-Pints, always good stuff coming from there. As a blanket statement, American brewers, they're doing the most interesting/creative stuff for craft beer right now.

I don't come from a beer area with much hype, but I always find Dead Frog disappointing. Lighthouse Pumpkin Ale - usually Lighthouse has been pretty decent this year but this one was just bad. I didn't enjoy Phillips/GLB Puzzler either. Both beers had a peculiar burnt flavour, not my thing.

Everything I've tried from Green Flash. Otherwise I don't get to try many hyped beers.

Thor's Hammer, Woolly Bugger, Nectar of the Gods, Cantillon, Firestone Walker, Founders, more Great Divide, Stone, and Sierra Nevada, to name a few.

Rutager likes this.
  16. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Driftwood & Phillips
    FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Unibroue , Howe Sound , Deschutes , Elysian
    FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Driftwood -"Singularity" best beer buzz ever!!
    FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Phillips - "Crooked Tooth" & "Longboat Choc Porter" , Lighthouse -"Belgian Black"
    Unibroue -"Maudite" , Howe Sound's -"Pumpkineater" & "Pothole Filler"
    & Deschutes - "Obsidian Stout" & "Black Butte Porter"
    NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Hoyne Brewing , good first year
    NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Townsite Brewing (yes) , Parallel 49 (maybe)
    NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Finally got to enjoy Elysian's "Dark O'The Moon" & "The Great Pumpkin"
    & hit the 100 review mark
    LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Phillips , Driftwood , Hoyne , Lighthouse , Vancouver Is , in that order
    BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Duff
    Lighthouse -"Pumpkin Ale"o_O
    For the second year in a row I had a bottle of Driftwood's -"Satori Harvest" in my hands and put it back on the shelf , I don't even remember what else I picked up instead
    Chatoe Rogue -"Black Lager" & Gigantic"The City Never Sleeps" need another two bottle's to finish my review
    Driftwood - "Satori Harvest" I will buy it next time , promise ;)

Rutager likes this.
  17. FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Russian River, Shorts, Surly, Avery

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Bitburger, Ballast Point Indra Kunindra, Lolita, Modus Hoperandi on tap!

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Lucky Mart - a wicked Asian Grocery store that I've used as the inspiration for many fun casks this year.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Knee Deep In Powder (thanks to Vegas trader extraordinaire, Destral)
    Bells This One Goes To 11

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    GABF, not so much the fest itself, but the breweries, people, and atmosphere in Denver around GABF. Now I see why people still go even if they don't have fest tickets.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Fort Garry. There is passion there, it just needs to be fostered, not forced to brew more Rocky Mountain Pilsner or Lime beer.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Surly and Avery - both have big expansion plans in the very near future.

Quebec beers need better distribution around these parts (and Canada in general), thankfully I've got a good friend who brings beer that he and his buddies are drinking out there quite often. Sometimes they're brilliant, some times they're not all they're cracked up to be. I can imagine this is how raters in Quebec feel about Half Pints beers when traders hang onto the bottles for a whole winter then trade them the beers as if they were fresh in the spring. Nothing tastes more like fail than beer that's sat in someone's basement for six months plus.

Anything by Rogue, except the Voodoo Donuts Maple Bacon - the only Rogue beer (other than Old Crustacean) to actually deliver. The Wynkoop Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout was a close second. It tasted too nutty.

Sin City in January, Montreal in May, Portland in August, San Diego in December.

Rutager likes this.
  18. hoser

hoser Savant (380) Alberta (Canada) Feb 17, 2003

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Brewsters here in Calgary has really stepped up their game.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    It is the same every year Dieu du Ciel!

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Brewster's Vampire Pilsner

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Thiriez Blonde drank a pile of this, this summer.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    National on 17th Calgary's newest beer hall

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Jester King these guys rock Thiriez's yeast hard!

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    All About Beer magazine asking me to write "It's My Round"

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Wild Rose grooving on fact that Brian Smith is driving the bus.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Le Trou du Diable can't wait until they get the new brewery and bottles going.

Village

That Papat444 got excited and couldn't wait until I posted the annual poll for the fifth year in a row;)

Looking forward to getting lost in Oregon this fall.

Rutager likes this.
  19. Yeah, i was bored and couldn't resist :D

20. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    DDC, Trou du Diable and Brasserie Dunham

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Muskoka, Stone (I can't resist any Stone beers)

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    To me, right now, it's Leo Breakfast IPA from Dunham. On tap or in bottles, simply awesome, no, its perfection. Trèfle Noir from Brasserie Trèfle Noir is amazing too.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    This year it was Spring Oddity from Muskoka (thanks liamt07 for that one). IPA from Midtfyns is pretty good too.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Brewery: Dunham
    Beer: Leo Breakfast IPA... did I say amazing?

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Getting some Cantillon and visiting the brewery

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Agrees with papat444, Dunham. They blow my mind everything I crack one of their beer open.

Anything from Barberie this year seems pretty bland... I used to like them very much.

That private import from HaandBryggeriet. The beers were only ok at best... and it cost me like two arms! Makes it very difficult to drink! :)

A trip to Munich to enjoy some German brews!

Rutager likes this.
  21. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Bellwoods.
    Honourary Mention to Great Lakes and Amsterdam.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Hill Farmstead, Founders, Three Floyds, Firestone Walker, Deschutes.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Bellwoods Hellwoods.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Hill Farmstead What is Enlightenment?, Kuhnhenn BB4D, Surly Darkness.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Bellwoods. The standouts include: Hellwoods, Grandma's Boy, Roman Candle and Witchshark.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Tried Hill Farmstead for the first time. They are truly masters of the hop.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Got to try Bourbon County Rare and King Henry and both lived up to the hype.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Bellwoods: I feel like I am beating a dead horse here, but these guys are world class.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Amsterdam. Once the brewpub opens, I think they will take to to the next level.

My opinion of Flying Monkeys now versus a year ago is like night and day. They really need to step it up and translate all of that creativity in to better end products.

Still waiting for Beau's to impress me.

Churchill's Finest Hour, Kate the Great, HF Damon, Founders CBS (all long shots)
    Bruery Black Tuesday, Bruery Melange #3, Bruery Grey Monday (will try soon)

Rutager likes this.
  22. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Dieu du Ciel (but Trou du Diable – especially their barrel-aged products - and Dunham – for their hoppy line-up - aren’t far behind)

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Hill Farmstead, Cantillon, 3 Fonteinen

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Benelux Grande Armada Réserve

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Cantillon Saint-Lamvinus

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Dunham entire hoppy line-up (APA, Leo’s Early Breakfast, Black IPA, Imperial Black IPA).

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    I’ve been to Hill Farmstead Brewery for the first time this year (a couple of times) and I’ve tasted their beer for the first time too. Wow!

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Got the chance to taste some highly wanted beer (thanks to some generous BA) : Cantillon Blabaer, 3 Fonteinen J & J Blauw, 3 Fonteinen Framboos 2011, 3 Fonteinen Hommage, Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze, Hill Farmstead Ann, Hill Farmstead Bière de Norma, Alesmith BA Speedway Stout, Bells Black Note, etc.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Dunham. They’ve been stellar since Eloi is there.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Tilquin. Their regular gueuze is extremely well-done and they’ve released their Oude Quetsche in 2012 (I would love to try this beer!)… I hope they continue to grow and that we eventually have access to other fantastic lambic from them.

Simple Malt « S » and « OR »… maybe it’s juste me, but it’s really not my kind of beer. I’ve also been disappointed by Simple Malt way of releasing beers that weren’t good at all only for marketing purpose (ie Coucou c’est nous, Matraque, etc.).

Founders Frangelic Mountain Brown… awful!

Couple of bottles that are already in the cellar : Southampton Black Raspberry Lambic, Russian River T25, Goose Island King Henry, Neil & Ross Shot in the Dark… etc.

Would really like to try the new De Dolle Stille Nacht Reserva 2010, Tilquin Oude Quetsche and at least one off Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen in 2013.

Rutager likes this.
  23. I agree with you. They were ok but not worth the price tag IMO.

As for their releasing beers that were not what was intended, i think they could have chalked it up as a loss (a la Dogfish Head in Brewmasters). Releasing them anyways on a marketing spin reeks of a cash grab to me. I'm pretty much done with them. The only ones i really like are the ones that seem to be less popular, Fumee Massive & Double Porter.

tom10101 likes this.
  24. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Le Cheval Blanc, with a new brewer, a lot of hoppy offerings, they really seem to nail it

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Gotta say Geuze producers like 3F, Cantillon, Boon are really good, but Alchemist, Hill Farmstead and Lawson's Finest are my tops

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    might be Elixir celeste from dieu du ciel, one of the few beers I like from them

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    heady topper

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Pit caribou now making good american style IPA, but way too pricey at about 10$ for 660 ml

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    De molen, mikkeller, To-Ol

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    a week of brewing courses

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    dunham

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Hill farmstead

Whole Dieu du ciel. Sweet, high alcool, cheesy offerings. Some decent beers at the montreal brewpub, but overall pretty average stuff

Pliny the elder got totally crushed by HT in a comparative tasting...

Nugget nectar, more stuff from HF and Lawson's, More stuff from russian river or american sours

Rutager likes this.
  25. Luk13

Luk13 Savant (300) Quebec (Canada) May 25, 2009

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERYFor the first year, I'll give the award to TDD over DDC mainly because overall quality is higher and pub experience superior. Every beer you get on draught is excellent as there is several miss from DDC. Plus, TDD food is worldclass and worth the detour alone.

Honorable mention to Albion. I don't go there nearly enough, they make the best session beers in Québec. I'd give Albion the #2 spot.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    This is an easy pick: Hill Farmstead. They make the best saison, IPAs and wild ale. Innovation and constant quality, their beers are always stellar.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    I've give this one to the Symbiose experience from DDC, especially the first one. Deliciously lactic.
    Dunham Leo IPA, their hopppy offerings were generally very good but this one takes the cake.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Once again this year, Fantôme Saison was my favourite beer. Honorable mentions to JJ Blauw, Struise Kabert, Hill Farmstead Jimmy, Society #2, What is Enlightenment?, Alesmith BA speedway and Heady Topper

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY

I'll go with Boquebière. I hated their beers but they made a significant improvement. I like to try their new ones but not enough to justify the hefty price tag.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    I loved everything I tried from Maine beer Co. (Zoe, Peeper, Old tom, Mo, Lunch) even if the price is prohibitive for thirst beers.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Ticked over 50 beers (currently at 60) of the top 100.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Dunham also. They were very good before Eloi came on board but he could take the brewery to a whole new level. Leo breakfast was fantastic.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Hill Farmstead: as good as they currently are, we haven't seen anything yet. I can't wait to try their spontaneously fermented beers, flanders red, kriek and to participate at their premium events.

Definitly 3M BB Porter Baltique. They'll this one age cause they it was too bad. Overpriced mess. I'm pretty through with these guys actually.

Goose Island BCS Bramble Rye. Big fan of the BCS series and was looking forward to trying this one. It was a huge sweet artificial letdown.

I've heard some good things about Bellwoods, would like to try something from them. Also, one-off Cantillon/3F of course :)

Rutager and tom10101 like this.
  26. Heh, lots of Vermont love here... 'fraid I'm no different.

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Beau's. They have hits and misses, but they're one of the leaders in Ontario. God bless 'em.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Lawson's Finest and Fantome, both have a certain je ne sais quoi.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Kind of an odd one to pick, but Beau's Boom Gose the Dynamite. Under represented style. Outside of Ottawa, love Boneshaker.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Session in the Rye, Heady Topper, Galaxy White

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Amsterdam actually, really come out of their shell. Also Ashton in the Valley. They don't get a lot of love, but I'm impressed with their lineup.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Lawson's

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Slow beer year for me actually... first Vermont trip I guess. Made it past 400 reviews on BA, but that's not really representative

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Beyond the Pale definitely.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    I discovered The Kernel a couple years back and I'm sure they'll get more respect on this side of the ocean soon.

Have yet to be impressed with Broadhead.

Another vote for Black Albert

Rutager likes this.
  27. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY-Probaby Beau's. Have yet to be really impressed by Kichissippi and I've yet to try any Broadhead or Beyond the Pale. Brasseurs du Temps is continually doing great stuff as well.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    -Mountain Goat, Feral, Moon Dog.

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    -I was barely home this year so I didn't drink much locally.

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    -AleSmith Speedway Stout and Cuvee van der Kaizer Blue. Both spectacular.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    -Brothers Beer Bistro in Ottawa. Finally a place dedicated to craft.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    -Numerous pubs around Melbourne fully dedicated to craft beer. New Zealand and Australian hops are also gonna get on this list. North American brewers really need to tap this spectacular resource.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    -Trying an insane amount of beer while bartending in Melbourne, Australia. The scene is really on the up over there. Worked an events for Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn while there as well which were very memorable experiences. Also helped out at a brew session at Holgate for a yearly release with the bar team.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    -It's looking like Beyond the Pale will do good things. Beau's also continues to push the envelope while keeping things under control and staying true to themselves.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    -Mountain Goat. I'm really hoping their export market grows beyond California and makes it to Canada so people can try what they're doing.

-Mill Street. The brewpub was seen as a beacon of craft beer when it opened, it doesn't seem to be doing as much as I expected.

-Too many diacetyl bombs to count. A number of Italian beers that were just 'meh' after hearing so much about the explosion of the scene over there.

Rutager likes this.
  28. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY- Driftwood, Storm, Lighthouse, Russell

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Deschutes, Hair of the Dog, Surly

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    **Singularity**, Nectar of the Gods, Mad Bruin, Storm Imperial Flanders, Fat Tug IPA

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Westvleteren XII, Pliny the Elder, Old Rasputin, Green Flash Double Stout, Unibroue Terrible

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Russell with Nectar of the Gods and Russian Imperial Stout, Hop Therapy and others. Wow talk about stepping up their game.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    8 Wired from New Zealand. Why do we get their beer in Vancouver and why is it so good?

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Sessioned Pliny the Elder one night in San Fran. Developed a greater appreciation of the masterpiece. Never felt like too many.

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Parallel 49. I think they're serious.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Lazy Boy

Parallel 49. Nothing REALLY good yet IMO, but lots of hype.

Grande Cuvee Porter Baltique. Keep trying it. Want to like it but always seems too thin on the mouthfeel. I'm done with it now. Nothing special IMO.

Rutager likes this.
  29. 604Growler,
    I'm gonna need some clarification on this:

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Parallel 49. I think they're serious.

Parallel 49. Nothing REALLY good yet IMO, but lots of hype.

30. I haven't tried any of Parallel 49's new lineup:

Posted from matthaslaservision

New beers from Parallel 49:

A RIS called From Russia With Love

Belgian Quad-Style ( possibly barrel aged )

Saison

a barrel aged beer/mead hybrid​

31. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    In Ottawa there are a lot of average breweries but none that has produced a beer that has really wowed me. I'd go with Kichissippi and Beau's in a tie. Cassel would be close behind. I haven't tried anything by Broadhead or BDT yet.

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Dunham, Lagunitas, Great Lakes

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Beau's Festivale and Kichissippi Uncle Mark Hopfen Weiss

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Dunham Leo's Early Breakfast IPA, Lagunitas IPA, Muskoka Mad Tom, DDC Solstice d'Ete, Great Lakes Crazy Canuck, Dunham Imperial Black IPA

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    Beyond the Pale. Maybe Big Rig.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Dunham. As a hophead they might be the best brewery in eastern Canada. Their new beers are really good.

Big Rig. Their offerings I've tried have all been mediocre.

Buying craft beer from a Sunoco station in Albany NY only to discover that many of the IPA's were well past their best before date. I can't believe that Racer 5 would taste like that otherwise.

Rutager likes this.
  32. Yeah, major pet peeve of mine. Check my homepage to help you out for next time.

WilderPegasus likes this.
  33. Thanks. I used your site to figure out that the Racer 5 was from Aug 2011 and I bought it in May. Being that old and sitting on an unrefrigerated shelf explains everything.

34. FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    Bushwakker Brewpub

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    Jester King is by far the FUNNEST brewery I have ever visited, and they make kick ass beer. Going back again in 6 weeks!

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    Bushwakker Saskadian Black IPA - one of the best beers they have ever made, and can't think of too many Cascadian/Black Ales I think are better... I am damn proud that I took the first cut at the recipe for it :)

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    Bell's Black Note (barrel aged Expedition) on tap!

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    Some new taphouses, brewpubs and stores opened in SK this year... none got me overly excited. I'm spending more and more time at the oldschool Regina German Club, so consider it a rediscovery.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    Funkwerks and Crooked Stave in Fort Collins, CO. Very cool saison and brett brewers. Looking forward to seeing Crooked Stave's new brewery in Denver next month.

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    Opening up my BJCP Judge Certification Class to the public and having it sellout very quickly.
    Putting together Regina's first beer vs wine food pairing event.
    Getting paid to drink beer in a public library (I ran sold-out beer tasting sessions this fall at Regina Public Libraries).

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    I suppose Bushwakker. Mitch churned out a bunch of interesting new brews this year, adding to an already enormous lineup.

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Beats me, way too many to keep track of.

Just about anything barrel aged/sour.

Rogue Voodoo, Mikkeller Hop Bomb Challenge, LTM Maibock and Doppelbock. Easily stand out as the 4 worst beers I tasted this year.

Whatever I can get my hands on at the Arizona Strong Beer Festival in February.

Rutager likes this.
  35. Weird. My list would be almost identical to markaberrant's.

Jester King is the funnest brewery tour I've even been to too. Admittedly, I dont go on many tours, but this place is really really special. It would be my regular Saturday afternoon hangout if i lived in Austin.

Did you get your LTM beer in Saskatchewan or Alberta? I had the doppelbock a few years ago and thought it was good, had it this year and it tasted like pickled herring.

Really enjoyed the Saskadian, jealous of the Black Note.

36. I'm not sure what was wrong with this year's LTM Maibock/Doppelbock, they've been good in previous years, and I really enjoy their products as a general rule. Yes, these were sampled in SK on two seperate occassions from multiple bottles. I'd still buy LTM beer, but will now do so with a bit of hesitation.

I had Black Note on tap at the Walrus in Bismarck, ND. Check out their tap list, its usually very good, and they often bring in specialty releases/casks, and have done a couple tap takeovers (watch their FB/twitter). There's a couple other decent pubs in Bismarck and a pretty good bottle shop too, makes for an awesome weekend trip.

37. Can't really fill out the whole list here, as I am sadly limited to local ontario craft beer here in Stratford. But my biggest moment of the year was the 4 consecutive days of drinking at Russian Rivers Brewpub in Cali in in May. Completely changed my views on sour beer. Now I can't get enough. Supplication is the shit!!!! Beautification, Temptation and Consecration are also incredible. Is it weird that Pliney The Elder was my least favourite beer there? And its a damn good beer!

Rutager likes this.
  38. Yeah I usually head to Bismarck once or twice per year and stock up on stuff. I was in Minot over the holidays and was very happy to see they now sell Bell's in both of the Market Place stores. Sure, most of the cases were 2-3 months old and no sign of Expedition but it's still much more convenient for me. They also had a couple of Lips of Faith beer so.... maybe it's improving.

39. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (640) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I live in Holland 11 months of the year, so this will be a little rough for me. I'll give it a shot though. Will try to keep it to Canada as well.

FAVORITE LOCAL BREWERY
    - herrorara's homebrew

FAVORITE BREWERY - OTHER
    - Driftwood in BC

FAVORITE LOCAL BEER
    - Best Bitter's Nickel Brook Headstock IPA

FAVORITE BEER - OTHER
    - Driftwood Fat Tug IPA, Half Pints Burleywine or Brasseurs Illimites Simple Malt Imperial Stout. Too tough to decide.

NEW LOCAL DISCOVERY
    - Kickoff on University Ave.

NEW DISCOVERY - OTHER
    - Brad and Ken :D

NOTABLE BEER-CHIEVEMENT
    - Actually took a flight to go to a beer festival

LOCAL BREWERY TO WATCH
    - I have no idea...

BREWERY TO WATCH - OTHER
    Dunham in Quebec. Was lucky to have a few of their beers on tap in Montreal and was quiet impressed.

- Amsterdam Tempest Imperial Stout

- Was expecting more from Microbrasserie de l'ile d'Orlean for some reason.

- The Flying Monkeys' BNL Chocolate Stout for something local, then whatever Brad and Ken come up with for "other." :)

This was difficult and fun at the same time. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Rutager likes this.
  40. Black Note is actually a blend of Expedition and Double Cream Stout that is aged in bourbon barrels.

I agree that it is an excellent beer (although I wasn't lucky enough to try it on tap).