1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer in the Black Forest region?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Goosey, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

I am staying in Ljubliana this summer and am taking a 4 or 5 day trip to Germany. Ill take the train into Munich and hit Ayinger and Schnieder Weisse. From there I am going to Freiburg, and will be staying in some small towns around there. First question is where are some good small towns to stay I'm with a good authentic feel, safe, and are not too full of tourists as well as some nice scenery and great hiking(I will be by myself). More importantly, what beers should I look out for while I'm there. Any good little beer spots or breweries. I'd like to stay around the Black Forest area in the south.

2. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Posted duplicate sorry dont know how to delete

3. mjtierney2

mjtierney2 Savant (465) Germany Jul 31, 2011

My wife and I were just talking about how we need to go down to the Schwarzwald this year. Sorry I can't be more in-depth with personal knowledge but if we do end up going I'll report back.

My Day Trips Germany book lists Triberg (TREE-bayrg) and Freiburg-im-Breisgau (FRY-boorg) as two good spots to go, the former is called a good spot for first-timers to the Black Forest and specifically mentions the hiking, and the latter as a place that many tourists don't get to. Are you comfortable with your German? Most places in Germany are fine with English (or at least you can get by), but I don't know about the more out of the way cities.

Rothaus beer will likely be king wherever you go. Rothaus is a very good beer IMHO. Their Pils (aka Tännenzäpfle) is their best beer. I also like Hoepfner and Moninger as regular everyday beers, although they are owned by either Paulaner or Radeberger if that is important to you. If you can find your way to the Rothaus brewery you might be able to get in on a tour. http://rothaus.de/de/heimat_rothaus_grafenhausen_schwarzwald

If I can recommend a place that is not technically the Black Forest that you might enjoy, it's Wissembourg, France, along the German border. Wissembourg is free of tourists and is a pretty little authentic German/French town. I don't know about the beer. Since it is technically France and part of the Alsace, you might find the wine a little more interesting. The good news is the eclairs are fantastic. My wife and I hiked through some vineyards here a few years ago, back and forth over the border, and it was very pretty. Also, it was "New Wine" season, but that's another story. Again, maybe better if you know some French or German.

Regarding Ljubliana, enjoy! I've heard it's beautiful. I have a friend from Slovenia and she once brought back a selection of various beers that she grabbed off the supermarket shelves, so I actually have some personal experience to relay. Avoid at all costs. :)

[​IMG]

Have a good trip! If I make it down that way this year I'll report back on my findings.

Cheers!

Goosey likes this.
  4. steveh

steveh Champion (765) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

There's a really nice Czech restaurant in Baden Baden that carried some different beers -- unfortunately, I haven't been able to I.D. it anywhere.

Anyone know of this place? It was right in the middle of the city.

5. Rothaus is probably what you're going to find a lot, as far as I know their brewery tour is pretty good too! There would be "Waldhaus" as well, but I'm not sure where exactly their brewery is.
    Hoepfner and Moninger are not really "Schwarzwald", Karlsruhe is still pretty far from the black forest! If you're in Freiburg you may want to check out this: http://www.feierling.de/
    Haven't been there myself yet, but I have heard it's good beer!
    I've got to agree with mjtierney2, a trip to the alsace would be an interesting thing, good food, don't know too much about their wine, but most of their supermarkets have a good selection of belgian brews!
    And I don't think Radeberger is involved with Moninger or Hoepfner, Paulaner is involved with Hoepfner along a lot of other breweries...
    And If you come to Karlsruhe make sure to check out "Vogelbräu", really good beer ;)

6. mjtierney2

Are they Karlsruhe? For some reason I thought they were farther south.

7. Yep, both in Karlsruhe. Another quite alright "domestic" beer is "Wolfbräu", they used to brew here in Karlsruhe, but since 2009 the beer is brewed in Heidelberg, really sad in my opinion, one of the local beers not being local anymore...

8. mjtierney2

That is interesting...I live in HD and have never seen nor heard of Wolfbräu. Are they very big?

9. I don't think that they are, their brewery was not very big, it is available in most local "Getränkemärkte" and in some bars. Here's some info: http://ka.stadtwiki.net/Brauerei_Max_Wolf
    But I don't think that they are very "active" about their beer, their beers are the same since I can think of Wolfbräu. I have never seen it outside Karlsruhe to be honest, Hoepfner is quite big compared to that!

mjtierney2 likes this.
  10. whatsgoody

whatsgoody Aficionado (235) Vermont Nov 16, 2012

Surprised Alpirsbacher hasn't been mentioned yet. Slightly less well known than Rathaus but #1 in the Black Forest in my opinion. On my list of breweries to visit when I return to germany. I don't have a link to a website but I've checked it out before and it looks awesome.

einhorn and mjtierney2 like this.
  11. mjtierney2

How could I forget Alpirsbacher?! They have a delicious Pils as well. Good call. Their website is better if you can read German - some info, like hiking paths (Wanderwege) and places to eat & spend a night (under Gastronomie) - doesn't appear to be on the English language version of the website. http://www.alpirsbacher.de/alpirsbach/

12. We made a stop at Alpirsbacher and liked it a lot.

13. LBerges

LBerges Aficionado (160) Germany Feb 14, 2010

Goosey likes this.
  14. Bobator

Bobator Aficionado (130) California May 23, 2006

If you're going to spend any time at all in Freiburg, you should try the Feierling Hausbraueri. Brewing is done on-site, the food is reasonably good, and the multi-level setting is an interesting change from most Bierstuben.

They also run a Biergarten, located across the street from the brewery. I thought it was worth the visit.

http://www.feierling.de

Goosey likes this.