Beer in the Fresno area

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by joeyst, Dec 22, 2012.

1. joeyst

joeyst Zealot (75) New York Mar 3, 2011

Hello, I live in New York and am traveling to the San Joaquin Valley to visit family. While in Fresno I want to drink some awesome beer I can't get. I'm planning a trip to Russian River Brewing Co. also, maybe Lagunitas if time permits.

These are possibly the only three places I'll be able to search for beer. Tell me where to go, especially in Fresno and Santa Rosa.

2. snoori

snoori Zealot (75) California Aug 30, 2010

Bevmo is your best bet in Fresno.

3. the bottle barn in Santa Rosa is great.

Rau71 likes this.
  4. CenCalMario

CenCalMario Savant (350) California Jan 12, 2009 Verified Subscriber

Russian River is amazing...but I would say definitely make time for Lags...this coming from a guy that made many treks to the area w/o going to Lags. Once I finally incorporated them in my trip plans I was very happy and wished I did it sooner! The taproom is great, good food, good prices, long list of non-distributed beers...and they surely will have Sux on tap!

In terms of beer spots in Fresno area the good ones are: Eureka Burger, Spokeasy, BC's Pizza, Yard House.... as for bottles BevMo actually has a good selection.

5. walterfredo

walterfredo Savant (310) California Nov 22, 2011

Although the selection is smaller, I think you'll find better beers at whole foods than bevmo in Fresno.

Fossilhunter likes this.
  6. bottle barn in santa rosa for sure

7. How long you around Fresno? I might be down for opening a few bottles at some point this week. There any bars thay are cool with people bringing in their own beers here?

8. How long are you here? I am in the oh no from San Diego. I brought quite a few bottles with me and was thinking of opening them at BC's in Clovis, Best beer bar in Fresno.

9. Hah, I'm actually heading down to SD on Thursday for a few days to visit a couple friends. I'm in Clovis tomorrow night and Wednesday though.

10. mjl21

mjl21 Advocate (550) California Apr 3, 2008

For bottles skip Bottle Barn. Go to BeerCraft in Rohnert Park. It is in between Lagunitas (Petaluma) and Russian River (Santa Rosa).

11. Anyone want to meet for Beers at BC's tomorrow say 2ish????

12. joeyst

I won't be there until January 18th. The Beerventure to Santa Rosa is the 19th and 20th.

If I can get a hold of some Headytopper I'd be up for a trade and/or share at a Fresno venue, likely during the week.

13. Sounds great. I'll see if we can get Alex Kidd out as well.

14. womencantsail

womencantsail Champion (870) California May 25, 2008 Verified

Whatever you do, don't go to Full Circle Brewing. Bottom 5 brewery of all time.

Sequoia isn't bad, though.

15. joeyst

I've been to Sequoia. It was a couple years back so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

On Wednesday, January 23rd anyone who is interested should come to a bottle share. We gotta find a venue to sustain it, but I promise to bring something to blow your mind.

16. Andrew, coming from you that's high praise. That almost makes me want to go check them out.

17. sloelco

sloelco Savant (305) California Dec 25, 2012

Havn't been to Spokeasy but I hear they are a good bet for interesting things on tap and some bottles.

Eureka Burger and The Yard House are hit and miss depending on what you consider hard to find. Whole Foods has more interesting, but smaller, selection than Bevmo.

A bit south of here in Visalia is Howie and Sons Pizza. On recent stops they had the following on tap Moylans Hop Craic. FW Double Jack, Union Jack, Merlin. Green Flash Hop Head Red, Barleywine, Le Freak. Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Imperial Stout and Pilsner. Port Brewing Hot Rocks. Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Wild among others. They have some bottles from Knee Deep, The Bruery and Drakes.

If you pass through Livermore then Perry's Liquor, First Street Ale House, and the Livermore Saloon are excellent stops without much hassle with parking and crowds.

18. Full Circle is very hit and miss...Alex is a myth he doesn't really exist in the Valley :)

19. Have to push BC's back to about 3:30 - 4:00ish IF anyone else is planning on going

20. CenCalMario

I would go...but would look at 5 pm. I never bottle share there, do they allow?

21. I will probably watch the bowl game there so will be there until 7ish.....I am not sure if they allow bottles I would think so.

22. CenCalMario

I would presume so... I just never have oddly enough.

23. Ok. I wil probably be there closer to 2:30. Need to leave by about 5:30 to go see a movie with the family. I'll be wearing a KRBC shirt.

24. womencantsail

womencantsail Champion (870) California May 25, 2008 Verified

Bring a puke bucket. And a knife, it's in a pretty rough looking area.

25. CenCalMario

Had a good time yesterday....we should make it an annual thing, day after xmas bottle share.

Good to meet some good people/ BA'ers.

26. Yeah I am down!

27. 01Ryan10

01Ryan10 Savant (295) California Sep 10, 2011

A trip to Russian River by car from Fresno is ~4 hours depending on traffic.

Now, a trip to Kern River Brewing is ~2.5 hours. Just saying.

28. joeyst

I looked Kernville up. Maybe on my next trip to California. Very doable.

29. joeyst

I'd bring some sweet bottles for a share in Fresno. I work at a well equipped beer location and have access to good beer...that's all I'm saying.

Fossilhunter likes this.
  30. Trio2shine

Trio2shine Savant (350) California Nov 15, 2011 Verified Subscriber

I'd be up for a share in Fresno as well. Did BC's have any issues with you guys opening bottles?

31. They didn't as long as we kept buying food and drinks. Just keep it small and ask Jen first.

joeyst and Trio2shine like this.
  32. joeyst

Ok. Any requests from the East? Someone make a preposterous request and I'll see what I can do.

33. Southern Tier Creme Brule, or any others

34. joeyst

I got that. Mokah, Choklat, Pumpking too. Give me something harder to find.

35. Trio2shine

Trio2shine Savant (350) California Nov 15, 2011 Verified Subscriber

Heady-Topper? I'd like to try a pint of Younger and a can of Topper in the same day.

36. joeyst

I'll reach out and see if I can get some Headytopper, but that stuff is only being distributed in Vermont at the moment.

Trio2shine likes this.
  37. joeyst

No Headytopper. So far it's a bottle of Creme Brulee Stout. I think I'll bring a bottle of Founders Breakfast Stout, Backwoods Bastard, or De Dolle Reserva 2009 (which I have not had.)

38. joeyst

I'd love to try Black Tuesday if anyone wants to sacrifice a bottle, or any Pizza Port or rare barrel aged beers would be nice.

39. If you were up closer to Modesto I'd meet up and share some bottles. However, when you make the trip to Santa Rosa, stop at Perry's in Livermore, it should be on your way, you'll find more there than you will in all of Fresno I think.

40. CenCalMario

If you bring some HF or CL.... I can probably hook up a BT.