1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer jelly

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by birchholz, Jun 2, 2012.

1. birchholz

birchholz Savant (280) Illinois Jul 21, 2010

I've done quite a lot of canning/preserving/pickling and thought it might be fun to try a beer jelly. I've found some simple recipes online (24 oz beer, 1 pckg dry pectin, 3 - 3.5 c sugar). I'm just debating what style of beer might work best. I'm thinking of a sweeter stout (milk/cream/chocolate) for now. For the fall/winter a pumpkin beer or a spiced Christmas ale might be nice.

Has anyone made beer jelly before? Any thoughts on what style of beer would work well?

2. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (300) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

I'm glad to see this recipe posted. When I read about this somewhere on the internet, the person discussing it did not share the actual recipe. I like your idea for spiced beers. What I read suggested using a lambic for added fruit/tart, which could also be interesting.

3. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (415) India Jul 25, 2009

A sweet fruit (cherry) beer would be apt IMO. Great idea this !!

4. birchholz

I've thought about doing the fruit beer thing, but I do a lot of fruit jams already and am looking for something with a more distinctive beer taste to it. But I still want to balance the bitterness (I don't think a DIPA would be that appetizing). I might give a barleywine a shot, though. It will probably take some experimentation to find what works well.

Also, when checking some of the recipe reviews, it looks like several people recommend adding a little lemon juice or apple juice to up the acid and help give a firmer finished product.

5. A vendor showed up a couple years ago at the VT Brewers Fest with jellies all made with differen Ommegang beers - fantastic. No idea who he was, though.

6. Use a Sam Adams Triple Bock.

7. birchholz

Send me a bottle, and I'll be happy to give it a try. ;)

8. Southern Tier Creme Brulee or Pumking would probably be neat.

9. Do you happen to have more instructions to that recipe? Do you boil the alcohol off the beer then add the sugar? Pectin added to hot or cold liquid?

Just curious cuz I'd love to do this. Thanks!

10. birchholz

It's the same as a standard jam recipe. If you use Sure-Jell, just follow the directions in the package.

Add the beer and pectin and bring to a boil (use stainless or other non-reactive pot). Once you achieve a rolling boil add the sugar. Return to boil and boil hard for 2 min. Add lemon juice, skim foam and ladel into sterilized jars. Leave a little head space. Wipe rims, seal and process in boiling water bath for 10 min.

At this point I think I'm leaning towards the creme brulee for the first batch. I'll post when I'm done as to how it turns out.

11. Bierlerner likes this.
  12. I don't know why but a cross between pepper jelly and IPA is sounding really good to me. But would any hop aroma / flavor be left after boiling?