1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Laws

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Avangion, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

As of today, microbreweries in New York gain the right to break contracts with their distributors without cause. I know many have complained of beer freshness problems stemming from distributor practices, so this may be good news, if anything changes as a result. Link: http://www.nysenate.gov/press-release/laws-taking-effect-january-1-2013

Governor Cuomo seems like a BA. NY is even going to allocate some money to promote craft breweries in the state.

I used to work at a brewpub in NJ whose owner was instrumental in getting legislation passed to allow breweries to sell their product on site (thus allowing brewpubs to exist), and I heard the state has now finally decided to allow them to package it for sale in stores (you could only do two out of three before), though I did not confirm this.

Any other good news for beer on the legal front as we start 2013? Are there laws in your area that are being passed in support of beer? Against it? Antiquated, unreasonable, or unfair laws that you think ought to be changed? Legal battles ongoing?
    beerloserLI and match1112 like this.
  2. mcrago

mcrago Savant (345) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Nothing in 2013, but in 2012, Indiana started allowing breweries to sell product on Sundays. Indiana doesn't allow alcohol sales on Sundays, so this was a good thing.
  3. Hopefully your new law will send a message to all distributors. Thanks, Governor Cuomo! :)
  4. Avangion

Originally, the law protected small wholesalers from the machinations of the giant brewers, but the number of wholesalers has shrink so, ironically, now it's the small brewers who need protection from them!
    gkatsoris likes this.
  5. The new law that updated regulations and definitions for NJ's small breweries and brewpubs is​
    explained in this NJ.com article- N.J. bill to boost microbreweries signed into law

Also, the Brewers Association's website, under "Government Affairs" keeps track of new laws under it's "Monthly Legal Briefs" and "Current Issues" sections.
    SammyJaxxxx and beertunes like this.
  6. omnigrits

omnigrits Savant (345) Texas Jun 1, 2006

The Texas state legislature is about to start its 2013 session and local beer advocacy groups such as Open The Taps are gearing up to get some laws changed, such as allowing breweries to sell direct to the public and brewpubs to distributors. Since they only convene every two years and can't, constitutionally sit for more than 140 days unless a special session is called (which only the governor can do), and since there are always far more bills proposed than there is time to debate, I think we might have to wait a while longer to be able to go to a local brewery and buy some of their beer.
  7. Well this is a little out of date, but has some good info on beer laws around the country

http://www.legalbeer.com/liquor-laws-by-state

Lots of laws have changed recently in MS,AL, and a few in LA (mostly dealing with home brewing)
  8. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

Hopefully they can work on getting a similar law passed in MA.
  9. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Cali growler laws are the DUMBEST THING EVARRRRRR
    FosterJM likes this.
  10. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

Now that the law passed, Hopefully something will actually happen to curb the stale beer we get out in NY from places like Stone, Firestone Walker, Ballast Point, etc. The list is far too long!
    mackeyse likes this.
  11. dmeadows

dmeadows Savant (310) New York Aug 6, 2002

Cuomo is a politician. He sees the growth of craft beer has tax revenue and jobs. As for NY promoting craft beer, here's hoping it makes more of a commitment than it did in 2006 when it "launched" the Empire State Brewery Trail, which withered on the vine.
  12. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

about 4 years out of date in Alabama's case.
    Schwantz likes this.
  13. After two read throughs, it appears as if this only applies to NYS brewers who produce less than 300,000 barrels a year. Can someone please tell me I'm wrong and it applies to out-of-state brewers as well? If I'm correct, it really doesn't amount to much for anyone other than small NYS brewers [which is a start but doesn't help the average craft beer drinker/ticker].
  14. Avangion

I think it only applies to NYS brewers. I don't know if New York could enforce the law on distributors vis a vis out of state products, as interstate commerce is generally a federal level affair. But I am not a lawyer. I really don't know if this new law will change anything, but it's arguably a good sign when legislators are on the right side, at least where we're concerned.
  15. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Which is something not often said in Alabama.... cheers
  16. IP-EH

IP-EH Aficionado (120) California Apr 2, 2012

Has anyone seen the highly restrictive laws in Mississippi? I lived there for two years and had to go to LA, AL, or FL to get good beer but AL couldn't sell bottles larger than 16oz. Thank God there was a good store in New Orleans called Stein's Market and Deli that was able to get kegs of Stone for me so I didn't need to make daily trips. They had amazing sandwiches as well. I think MS only has one craft brewery called Lazy Magnolia and I wasn't too impressed with it. Only one beer that was acceptable to drink.
  17. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Easy killer. No need for all caps. We all live here. We know it sucks balls!!!!

Cheers!

edit:ninja edit.
  18. Avangion

What is the CA growler law?
  19. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

You have to have a seperate labeled growler for each brewery you want a fill from. So in Southern CA
    If I wanted to do: The Bruery, Bootleggers, Golden Road, I&I, Alpine, Alesmith, Ballast Point, Green Flash. etc. I would need that many growlers.

Cheers!
  20. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

this year MS increased permissible ABV to 10.2 (actually, 8% ABW) and AL increased permissible container size to 25.4oz. Plenty of places have draft to go as well.

MS is adding more breweries, too.
  21. You just don't know what is good for you. None of us do. But California does.
    afrokaze and Ford like this.
  22. By law, do you have to have a silk-screened, painted label growler from each brewery OR is every growler required to have a label with the state-mandated information on it? Seems to me it would be the latter and, so, it's the fault of the breweries that they don't at least offer the option of blank bottles and paper "sticker" labels. Damn, they can even charge the poor consumer 25ยข for the damn label if need be (they're already charging outrageous prices for the bottles in many cases).
    FosterJM likes this.
  23. For some reason, I read the thread title as Beer's Law every time.