1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beer line question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by cracker, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

This is a pretty dumb question but here it goes. I have a kegerator with three taps. So far I've always had all three going at the same time. Now that my hombrew inventory is getting low soon I will have a tap that will be free unless I get a commercial keg (which I may do anyways). But if I don't hook something up to it what should I do with the beer line? Leave water in it after cleaning it? Or star-san? Will it dry up and crack if no liquid is in it? TIA.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not in my experience. I let lines dry all the time (after cleaning).

3. I keep a keg filled with One-Step cleaner/sanitizer. When a keg kicks, assuming I'm going to be tapping another in a day or two, I connect that keg, flush the line for a few seconds, then disconnect it. The solution, held under a bit of pressure by the keg connector, stays in the line until I tap the next keg, at which point, I flush the line with the new beer and I'm back in business quickly. If it's going to be untapped for an extended period, I do a more thorough cleaning with BLC. I would never leave a line untapped without first cleaning and sanitizing it, no matter how short the duration (it's easier to prevent the bugs now than it is to kill them later).

I don't think you'll damage the line by leaving it dry. The inside is made from the same vinyl as the outside.

4. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I guess if faced with the situation I will clean as always, flush with water, and then star-san and leave dry until next keg is ready. I'll probably re-flush with some star san though.