1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

beer line question

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by cracker, Dec 18, 2012.

1. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

This is a pretty dumb question but here it goes. I have a kegerator with three taps. So far I've always had all three going at the same time. Now that my hombrew inventory is getting low soon I will have a tap that will be free unless I get a commercial keg (which I may do anyways). But if I don't hook something up to it what should I do with the beer line? Leave water in it after cleaning it? Or star-san? Will it dry up and crack if no liquid is in it? TIA.

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (820) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Not in my experience. I let lines dry all the time (after cleaning).

3. I keep a keg filled with One-Step cleaner/sanitizer. When a keg kicks, assuming I'm going to be tapping another in a day or two, I connect that keg, flush the line for a few seconds, then disconnect it. The solution, held under a bit of pressure by the keg connector, stays in the line until I tap the next keg, at which point, I flush the line with the new beer and I'm back in business quickly. If it's going to be untapped for an extended period, I do a more thorough cleaning with BLC. I would never leave a line untapped without first cleaning and sanitizing it, no matter how short the duration (it's easier to prevent the bugs now than it is to kill them later).

I don't think you'll damage the line by leaving it dry. The inside is made from the same vinyl as the outside.

4. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I guess if faced with the situation I will clean as always, flush with water, and then star-san and leave dry until next keg is ready. I'll probably re-flush with some star san though.