1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer line-up changes at Clipper City/Heavy Seas

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by John_M, Nov 1, 2012.

1. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I don't believe this has been previously posted. Obtained (with permission) from the Beer in Baltimore Blog authored by Alexander D. Mitchell IV.

"Changes Coming to Heavy Seas "Flotilla""
    In the midst of the chaos of the past two days, we somehow--somehow--received a missive from the public relations department at Heavy Seas describing upcoming changes to their product lines, including an overhaul of the Mutiny Fleet line of beers, preliminary plans for canned beers, expanded cask ale offerings, changes to select year-round products, and a new seasonal beer. They seem to do as good a job as I can so I'll just excerpt their notes (emphasis added by yours truly):

The biggest change Heavy Seas has in store for 2013 is the repositioning of our line of higher gravity beers (the Mutiny Fleet). This line will now be known as the Uncharted Waters line and all of the beers under that category will be influenced by wood in one way or another. Siren Noire Imperial Chocolate Stout aged in bourbon barrels will come out in January 2013. In March, we will release Oak Aged Big DIPA (double IPA). Holy Sheet Über Abbey Ale aged in brandy barrels will be released in May. Great'ER Pumpkin (our imperial pumpkin ale aged in bourbon barrels) will be released in September. Yule Tide, our November release, will take the place of our ongoing Plank project—aging beers on wood. That style will be determined closer to November of 2013. We have preliminary plans to release three products in cans in 2013. While we haven't determined availability at this juncture, we will be offering Loose CANnon, Davey Jones' Lager, and an Oktoberfest style in cans this year. Year-round, we will continue to offer Loose Cannon, Small Craft Warning, and Peg Leg. In order to better reflect our brand personality, we have renamed our Clipper Fleet beers: Heavy Seas Märzen will now be Cutlass Amber; Heavy Seas Pale Ale will now be Powder Monkey; Heavy Seas Gold Ale will now be Gold. Heavy Seas Classic Lager will be discontinued. As the largest producers of cask ale in the country, Heavy Seas is focused on expanding the number of offerings for retailers. We will continue to offer dry-hopped firkins of Loose Cannon and Powder Monkey (pale ale) year-round. We will also incorporate preset quantities of all seasonal beers and Uncharted Waters beers. Seasonally, we will offer Black Cannon in January through March. We wanted to add a new style to our seasonal catalog, therefore Dubbel Cannon will be replaced by Riptide White IPA, which is currently in formulation; Riptide will be offered April through June. Red Sky at Night, our saison, will be offered July through September. Winter Storm Imperial ESB will be offered October through December. Additionally, the new seasonal lineup will include 12 oz. bottles of Great Pumpkin, offered in Sunken Sampler packs exclusively in August and September.

2. Why do these guys play around with names so much? Heavy Seas, Clipper City, Mutiny Fleet, Uncharted Waters, Clipper Fleet... and that's before we even get into the actual names of the beers, which are esoteric enough in their own right.

So I guess the IPA is now called the Heavy Seas Clipper Fleet Loose Cannon...

3. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Aficionado (230) Delaware Dec 17, 2004

Same here. I feel like I need a wall chart like the periodic table to keep it straight. Good thing I don't drink them much. I did like hearing about something in a can though. I'd think they need to be careful about how they market the renamings. Consumers get easily confused, at least by my own experience...

4. John_M

"Consumers get easily confused"

I assume that's the idea. If a product is selling well, I'm assuming the last thing you'd want to do is to repackage it. For the most part, the beers that seem to be getting new names are beers that don't sell particularly well at the present time. Personally, I don't really see the point of changing the name of a line or creating a new line (unless it's for repricing purchases - a distinct possibility, I suppose), but the main thing is that the name of the beer will stay the same, so there really shouldn't be any great confusion (I mean does anyone really care that Yule Tide will now be part of the Uncharted Waters line instead of the Mutiny fleet line? My guess is probably not).

5. RC51Mike

RC51Mike Aficionado (230) Delaware Dec 17, 2004

Yule Tide is Uncharted Waters now and not Mutiny Fleet????!!!! That is just plain insanity.

6. John_M

LOL!!! I stand corrected. :)

7. Hopefully they don't stick with the whole random clipart on top of same cheesy looking skull theme, and instead use some real label art made by an actual artist/graphic designer.

8. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I really dislike this new White IPA trend. I still have yet to try one that registers above "serviceable" on my taste-o-meter.

jaxon53 likes this.
  9. "This line will now be known as the Uncharted Waters line and all of the beers under that category will be influenced by wood in one way or another"

Uhm, why not call it "Uncharted Woods" then?

Seriously, this all reads like a joke. And you know, only brewers with skin in the game can joke around.

tobelerone, Beerontwowheels and Etan like this.
  10. Uncharted Waters
    No, For The Millionth Time, It's Not Watery (trademark)

11. BB1313

BB1313 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Heavy Seas is always switching their brand up, it's not a good look, IMO. If they focused on quality, they wouldn't have to worry about branding every year. But Loose Cannon in cans sounds awesome! And I'm glad they're replacing Dubbel Cannon..

12. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

You forgot to mention Heavy Seas' new seasonal beer, called Gypsy Brewers are Wusses (Ale).

13. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

yea i don't get it, they are always putting beers on hiatas too.-

14. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

skin in the game ale :)

15. obrendano

obrendano Aficionado (200) Maryland Jul 15, 2010

maybe I don't get out enough, but I wish I had come across this prior to tonight. I bought "Cutlass" thinking it was a new addition. it's still good, so I'm not complaining, but I must bump this thread to agree, these guys play around with the names of things way too much. ah well, bottoms up!