1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Magnets

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Heatwave33, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (550) Florida Sep 13, 2011

My very soon wife to be decided my bottle collection is taking up too much space. I love my bottles but agreed they are taking up a lot of room. She came up with this idea to make magnets out of the labels and caps from the bottles. Here are some examples:

[​IMG]

GENIUS! I absolutely found the perfect way to decorate my new beer fridge.

Brushkanna, djbreezy and kfordham281 like this.
  2. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Scary i was just thinking about this today. Would love about a dozen bottle cap magnets. Lmk if ur wife ships.

3. JoolyGoodFellow

JoolyGoodFellow Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012

Corona. I see a Corona cap.

4. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

Sounds like you have a keeper…very cool.

5. Heatwave33

Lol. I had to do one Corona cap! That was my drink in high school.

6. Heatwave33

I plan to send some in trades I'm doing. And she does ship! What you want? ;)

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Kind of off topic, how did you get the labels off neatly? My bottle collection is target #1 on my wife's hit list so I need to do something like this.

8. Heatwave33

Some labels she used her magic touch. Others she steamed them off.

9. And here I thought "beer magnet" was going to be another way of saying "alcoholic."

I've actually done the same thing with bottle caps, after seeing my cousin's collection. I'd credit it with pushing me further into beer hobby-dom because collecting made me try lots of new stuff.

10. Those cap magnets look awesome. I've been saving up the cool looking caps from beers I drink, not really knowing what I was going to do with them. What size magnets do you use? Something like this?

11. Heatwave33

Those look almost exactly like the ones we bought from Micahels. Not 100% on the size at the moment. At work. I will post the size magnets when I get home.

12. Thanks. Caps are about an inch across so I thought 3/4" sounded about right. There are also 1/2" magnets by the same company.

13. travMI13

travMI13 Savant (355) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

The labels look great. I took a suggestion from another thread about getting them off with hot water and Oxi-Clean. It worked really well for Founders and Bells. It worked terribly for Dark Horse. I think that method depends on the glue. Thankfully, my CBS, Better Half, and Blushing Monk labels came out ok.

Heatwave33 likes this.
  14. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

I get the 0.75 in (3/4 in) or 1.9 cm magnets at a craft store like Michael's for my caps. Seems to be just the right size

NoLeafClover44 likes this.
  15. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

How did you manage to make the labels magnet?

16. hwwty4

hwwty4 Initiate (0) Missouri Oct 8, 2007

I have a lot of magnets - roughly 4k now. about 700 on the top are individual - no repeats.

[​IMG]

17. Got to Michaels craft store and get a 50 pack of circular magnets for $7. We get 40% off single item coupon every week and I got them the 50 pack for $4 and change. Then drink beer, save cap and put cap on magnet and magnet on fridge. No glue necessary but if you have a kid, expect caps to disappear... ha-ha.

18. semibaked

True, good idea, already got Heatwave sending me some, but I really need an opener that doesn't bend the cap.

19. I use the Magic Hat Bartender Bottle opener that I won under a Magic Hat cap and hold my hand around the cap and remove it in one quick motion. It barely bends the cap, so I would try a bartender bottle opener. It's shaped like this:
    [​IMG]

20. riotinmyskull

riotinmyskull Savant (290) Virginia Dec 15, 2011

here's my fridge...

[​IMG]

a little tip to help get the caps off without bending them is to put a quarter over the cap and use a butterfly wine opener (or any opener that covers a wide surface area of the cap)

djbreezy and semibaked like this.
  21. Can also use the ancient secret of leverage using a bic lighter and your thumb after a little practice pops those suckers off with NO bendage. Grasp bottle up close by the cap wrap your hand around the neck and stick the bic on the capedge and lever upwards against your thumb...walla !!!

Heatwave33 likes this.
  22. semibaked

Ya I am way to lazy for that I just want to purchases a opener, this whole doing this to do this stuff is just beyond me.

23. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Nice tip. I wish all the bottles had the vintage year on top like SN Bigfoot. That'd make for a sweet collection.

24. Heatwave33

I use the top of my wine opener or the buc lighter trick. We use 3/4 inch magnets too!

As with the labels from the bottles we found magnet mats at michaels! Cut and paste. My wife is really good at that kind if stuff too. She really enjoys knitting and doing craft work.

iHEARTbeer247 likes this.
  25. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (640) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Or do it the drunk German way.. Take another bottle, and leverage the cap of the bottle under the end of the one you want to open and push up. Opens it easy as can be, and not a mark on the cap.

26. suprchunk

suprchunk Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012

The free paint can openers at Home Depot, that also has a bottle opener on the other side, are the best openers I've found for opening a bottle without bending it. That and those openers where you put the device over the bottle top and push down, then it pulls it straight off. But those don't last as long as the freebies from HD.

27. Meanmopar

Meanmopar Zealot (85) Apr 4, 2012

Great idea. I might try cutting out the logos from six pack holders. The label removal sounds a little tricky.

28. Brushkanna

Brushkanna Savant (315) New Jersey Jun 27, 2011

I have a pair of Reef flip flops that have a bottle opener in the bottom, they dont bend or mar the cap!

29. semibaked

Lol, ok, picture?

30. Brushkanna

Brushkanna Savant (315) New Jersey Jun 27, 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Mens-Fanning-Flip-Flop/dp/B001PTHDRS
    here is a link, (i cant figure out how to insert the URL so the photo comes up) check out the bottom of the Reef Men's Fanning Flip Flop, it keeps the cap in shape and you will always have an opener with you.

31. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

There are a few labels that are very stubborn (Dark Horse, Short's, RR, LA). The only way to get them off cleanly I have found is getting your tap water as hot as possible, then fill the bottle with the hot water. Try not to get any water on the label, it can cause it to rip. Wait a couple of minutes, then use a non-serrated knife to peel the label off. I think LA bottles are the worse to get the labels off. Also, you do not need much Oxi-Clean. Too high of a concentrate can make some labels bleed.

32. suprchunk

suprchunk Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012

OxyClean will peel them off without any need to use a knife. If you soak them overnight it they will be sitting at the bottom of your vessel you soaked them in. Hot, cold water doesn't matter. But I always start with hot - helps get the OC in solution better.

33. I've got a few hundred cap magnets around the house. Like others have mentioned I used the "quarter on top of the cap" method for removing the caps. Works perfectly. Also, on my caps I stick a small hex nut inbetween the magnet and the cap. This allows the cap to sit off the fridge and you won't scratch the surface if you move them around. Probably overkill for a bottle cap, but they do look fantastic.

50 button magnets (3/4") are $6.50 at Wal-Mart, I got a bag of smaller ones off eBay and they kinda suck. The eBay ones are not really strong magnets at all, but enough to stick to a fridge. Go with the ones from Michaels or Wal-Mart.