1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Market Ticker Symbols

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mothergoose03, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Let's have a little fun to start Super Bowl weekend before half of us become pissed because our team lost. The NYSE Dow Jones Industrial Average is flirting with the 1,400 threshold today so that's cause to celebrate a little, and is the idea for this topic.

The stock market uses letter combinations at ticker symbols, but certain well-established companies mostly own the single-letter symbols, such a F=Ford Motor; K=Kellogg; M=Macy's, etc. These companies have been around a long time and enjoy a special historical status in American business. So which American breweries also enjoy a similar status that should have the rights to a single-letter symbol if a beer market exchange existed?

Your nominations should take into account that some breweries may have two names (i.e. Sam Adams) that just wouldn't fit right for the "S" (GM doesn't have the "G" symbol, but rather they use the "GM" symbol), yet you can almost make a case for the "G" to go to Goose Island because we all frequently refer to Goose Island as " The Goose." So you can make your case for the "G" for them if you want.

National (or near national) distribution and the age of the brewery are likely to be major considerations in your nominations, but quality beers with a national reputation can also be a factor because these beers are traded nationally by beer enthusiasts. I don't want everyone to nominate 26 breweries, but let's hear the best 5-6 breweries that you think are worthy of this elevated status. If you can think of a deserving brewery to use the Q, X, Y or Z symbol, then you deserve a bonus. Have another beer.

I'll get started with: A=Anchor Brewing; B=Bell's; F=Founders; L=Lagunitas; and S=Surly. Anyone have any discussion on these, or what are your other single-letter ticker choices?
  2. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Y=Yuengling
    V=Victory
    S=Stone
    R=Rogue
    H=Highland Harpoon
    G=Genesee
    F=Founders
    D=Deschutes (?)
    B=Bell's (since BBC already has it's own in existence)
    A=absolutely Anchor
    NoLeafClover44 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  3. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

B= Budweiser
  4. We need a BA symbol for "Dislike." :D
  5. don't we have this already? just follow bcbs, bcbvs, ffac, v011, kh, etc. in the trading forum. beers already have tickers, in more ways than one.
    BdubleEdubleRUN likes this.
  6. For this little discussion I after single-letter symbols of brewery names, not beers.
  7. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (425) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Surly or Stone for S, huh? ...My vote would go to Samuel Smith for their brewing history and quality. Sierra Nevada would come in second place, but I think they would be happy with a "SN" ticker as they are commonly refered to anyway.
  8. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I'm still with Stone. The distro angle hurts Surly I think, but my lack of experience with them may be influencing that. Smith's doesn't meet the American requirement, but I agree with the history and quality of it.
    Mothergoose03 likes this.