1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Mixing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by cnez138, Dec 19, 2012.

1. cnez138

cnez138 Aspirant (45) Michigan Mar 1, 2011

Recently my friends and I have been mixing some of our favorite beers trying to come up with some great flavors. I think i might have stumbled on to something awesome. Mixing Rouges' Hazelnut Brown nectar and Sam Smiths organic chocolate stout I have found my go to mix. I recommend trying this blend. Is there any blend that is your go to?
  2. Lagunita's Brown Shugga with Alesmith's Speedway Stout was tasty when I tried it a year ago.
  3. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

I don't mix beers often, but when I'm strapped for cash I'll buy the big bottles of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and pour Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout over it.
  4. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Once I mixed 75% Mamas Lil Yella Pils and 25% of a slightly outdated Arrogant Bastard. Wasn't bad.
  5. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I've had a few mixes that work well. Tried a rogue hazelnut with a big bad baptist that was decent. ST Choklát & Pumking is always a treat. On Xmas eve, for the hell of it, I did Lawson's Bourbon Fayston Maple, DFH 90 min, and Winter Solstice, and believe it or not, it was fairly decent.
  6. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

Great Lakes Christmas Ale + GL Blackout Stout is awesome. Samething for Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas + TD Siberian Night. Pumpkin Ales and Imperial Stouts go really well together too..
  7. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Ok...never done this but you have my attention. Tell me more.
  8. Funny, when I was at Lagunitas one of the bartenders had me try mixes between Brown Shugga with Dogtown Pale Ale, with Cappucino Stout then with Wilco Tango Foxtrot. It's a good mix brew, for sure.
  9. If, for some reason, I only have access to a crappy light lager, dash of buttershots and dash of amaretto does it up nicely.
  10. gkatsoris

gkatsoris Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2007

Stone RIS & Double Simcoe
    or
    DFH 120 & DFH WWS
    dsal89 and bluejacket74 like this.
  11. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Definitely, i found you can pretty much mix anything with any Lagunitas, and you'll come out with something tasty.
  12. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (370) New York Nov 16, 2007

I did this once and woke up in the "future".
    SamW, TheBeerAlmanac and gkatsoris like this.
  13. Victory Dark Devil = Victory Hop Devil and Victory Storm King Imperial Stout awesome mixed beer.
    gkatsoris and iKasey like this.
  14. seeswo

seeswo Savant (490) Ohio Jan 10, 2010

Recently tried Lou Pepe Framboise and BT 12 and it was fabulous. Anyone got any original ideas for some blends? I am feeling like blending might replace blinding beers as my goto hobby-inside-a-hobby.

Bonus points for not regurgitating obvious things like WWS and 120 Minute (not that good) or Guinness blends you have seen on a menu somewhere. I am primarily looking for inspiration for things that folks who have too much beer access can do to elevate or at least entertain. Cheers
  15. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (605) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Nate Nelson coined the fabulous Pam Grier which is Black Tuesday / Fou Fone. Everyone who had it at KBS day was impressed.

My favorite blend of all time is 45% BCS / 45% Dieu de Ciel Aphrodite and 10% Raspberry Tart.

Cheers!
  16. this will probably fall into the category of 'obvious', but is handy if you ever buy the Sam Adams mixed packs: Cherry Wheat + Cream Stout is a pretty good way to get rid of Cherry Wheat.
  17. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Lagunitas Brown Shugga & Deschutes Obsidian was pretty damn tasty. I bet Sucks + Abyss = OMFG...
  18. There REALLY needs to be a main topic for this subject. The third beer mixing thread of the day, and i havent been on much today.
  19. seeswo

Little did I realize when my BT allocations landed recently that they would primarily be used for blending with sours! I will definitely try the hi five special.

The latter sounds pretty good as well. What about the new whale Belgian Red blended with BCBS and 1/4 shot of rye? Get it at BEINNYS!
  20. maxk

maxk Savant (365) Massachusetts Nov 8, 2008

One of my all time favorites is LH Milk Stout Nitro and Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA. I just tried a Lindeman's Framboise with one year old Brooklyn BCS, that was pretty delicious.
  21. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Lindemans Framboise and some Patron!! That's almost like some Lou Pepe right?
  22. hophead247

hophead247 Savant (430) California Jan 27, 2008

23. Too risky. Sometimes less is more. I don't drink the uber rare shit every night but I'm not going to chance messing up already good beer.
  24. seeswo

I was hoping it would be clear that there was a tongue-in-cheek element about blending harder-to-come-by beers, but apparently the No Fun Zone of BA strikes again. Back to FB.
  25. I've never tried this but it seems like a blend of Southern Tier's Choklat with something that is raspberry or cherry would be tasty. I'm thinking New Glarus' Raspberry Tart or their Wisconsin Red, but those two are so limited in their distribution that alternates would have to be found.
  26. 2/3 rds ST Pumking, 1/3 rd ST Creme Brulee = Pumpkin Pie. You'll thank me later
    1/2 Terrapin Moo Hoo, 1/2 Terrapin Wake n Bake = Chocolate Coffee
    dsal89 likes this.
  27. I have done the DFH and WWS (with another person) as a jacked-up black and tan. Not bad, really. I've also mixed plenty other IPAs and stouts to make my own black and tans. All mix pretty well, kind of taste like black IPAs.
  28. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

Most recent for me was Boulevard Rye on Rye mixed with Hardywood Park's Gingerbread Stout. Delicious, and I think I prefer it to the Bourbon GBS from HWP.
  29. Lerxst

Lerxst Savant (415) Florida Jun 17, 2005

50/50 of Stone IPA and Oaked Arrogant Bastard was very tasty.
    gkatsoris likes this.
  30. imduffman

imduffman Aficionado (170) Ohio Oct 22, 2012

creme brulee and pumpking 25/75. pumpkin pie with whipped cream..
  31. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Strongly flavored stouts mix pretty well with many other brews - some of my favorites to blend in are Lambics, Grand Cru Quads, and Stoli Vanilla Vodka.
  32. mocktm

mocktm Savant (355) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

White Choc and GI BCS is heavenly. Also curious to try mixing the Boubon County with Creme Brûlée...maybe the closest thing to Vanilla we'll ever see?
    imduffman likes this.
  33. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

there a cheaper and better ways to be cheap - but a citrusy, piney pale with a minerally oatmeal stout? I'd rather neck back a bucket of horse crap
  34. HeyJim

HeyJim Savant (385) Pennsylvania Sep 22, 2012

Enjoy your horse shit, I guess, and I'll continue enjoying what I believe to be a tasty mixture.
  35. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Here here. Enjoy
  36. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Dave + Busch Light