Beer not getting any head...

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Applecrew135, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Aficionado (190) Pennsylvania Jul 18, 2012 Verified

:eek:

I'm trying to understand my beer's inability to have head... o_O

It pours great with a good head... and about 10 seconds later... zilch. No head, no lacing... nothing.
    Any chance some PBW cleaner residue might cause this? It's a Wheat DME beer with C60, lightly hopped. I would think there's plenty of protein for good head!

It's either that, or something went wrong during fermentation... the beer "tastes" ok, it's not spectacular, but it's drinkable.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

2. premierpro

premierpro Savant (350) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

Is the beer's wife over 40?

SiflandOlly, JrGtr, jmich24 and 12 others like this.
  3. How do you clean your beer glasses? Some folks are particular about how their beer glasses are ‘cleaned’; they will simply just rinse them with water. If there is any soap residue on your beer glasses, the head will dissipate quickly (like 10 seconds).

Cheers!

4. fuzzbalz

fuzzbalz Savant (475) Georgia Apr 13, 2002 Verified

Yea, look at how your cleaning your beer glasses, using a rinse agent in the dish washer will effect the head retention, I just hand rinse with hot water and air dry.

5. Grant35

Grant35 Savant (315) California Jul 7, 2012

I just used some dextrin carapils in my all grain imperial ipa and it gave me a nice thick head - I used 27 lbs of grain for a 10 gallon batch and .5 lbs was dextrin carapils. I'd probably do a little less than half a pound next time to tone down the foam a touch. But all in all it was a great addition for the head and body. Cheers!

6. Applecrew135

Glassware is not the issue. Independent pours at two separate venues using glasses that were thoroughly rinsed each time yielded identically disappointing results.... sigh.

Even the krauesen in my fermenter never got that high, and for a weizen... that should be unusual. I'm suspecting some foul play early on in the process - even though the beer went from 1.055 OG to 1.013 FG. The beer is actually a little bland and watery, which makes me suspect a fault early on.

7. Applecrew135

Glad we have a healthy sense of humor here! BTW, no woman is ever "over 40", especially if you are married to her!!!

inchrisin likes this.
  8. 29, for life. Wisdom I have learned.

9. That sounds like a personal problem

10. MLucky

MLucky Savant (390) California Jul 31, 2010

Anything unusual about your water? If it's not a glass cleaning issue, and it's something you're seeing across different styles, that makes me wonder about water, even though I have no idea how hard/soft/high in certain minerals and not others water might affect this issue.

11. Any oils in your brew pot? If it is your turkey frying pot, or soup pot, that could be your problem. Do you have a greasy upper lip by any chance? Trying to tax all the options...

12. I knew someone would ask if there was a marriage involved. Glad you guys are on top of this......

Yeah, I guess some sort of soap or left behind substances issue in the glassware, brewing gear, etc as the others above have.

13. koopa

koopa Champion (835) New Jersey Apr 20, 2008

Tell it to buy a Porsche.....

14. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

Beyond oils/residue of some sort, you should look into your recipe. Adding some oatmeal, wheat, or carapils to your recipe next time might have a huge impact. If you're doing a hoppy beer, the oils in the hops actually promote great head. <--- They're going to have a field day with that statement. :)

15. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (855) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

There have been a few articles in BYO about foam retention. Here's one...
    http://byo.com/belgian-strong-ale/item/693-getting-good-beer-foam-techniques

Wheat and Carapils are foam retention enhancers. In my experience, oatmeal is a foam retention preventer.

16. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (490) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

fascinating blog. I was going to ask about his mashing temperature, and time. but, from the blog, it looks like you want to look at your yeast starter and aearation.

17. Applecrew135

It's a pretty straightforward extract recipe, so no mashing; just steeping crystal malt. I may have also hit the panic button too soon. Here's a history of brewing and bottling:

March 1: Brewday. OG at yeast pitching: 1.055
    Fermentation was with WLP300, at temps averaging 68 degrees. Two weeks in the fermenter: a plastic food-grade bucket w/ sealing lid & airlock

March 17: Bottling day. Primed beer with corn sugar, aiming at 3.5 volumes for a Weizen
    Bottles stored at 68 degrees for two weeks

March 30: Put bottles in refrigerator.
    Late March 30: Too anxious to sample first homebrew in 15 years; aas soon as it was cold enough, I cracked one.
    This is when I noticed bland taste & no head retention

March 31: Samples another with my son, same disappointment - no head, still knd of bland

April 4: Tried another, making sure the glass was rinsed thoroughly. Poured somewhat vigorously to raise a decent head... and it stuck! At least for as long as I was drinking it, which wasn't very long... it tasted a little better, too.

I guess I just need to be more patient. The beer's been in the cooler for about a week now. It's not a homerun, not exactly what I was looking for, but it is OK and drinkable, so I'll give it a tentative thumbs-up (For Roger Ebert!) for now.

I will still be more careful with my process moving forward.

Thanks for the insight, info, and most of all, snarky comments. You're a lively bunch, glad to be here!

18. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I get bubbles that are similar to that of a rootbeer float when using upwards of 8%. I'll let you have this one because it was a wheat beer (55% wheat malt).

19. basscram

basscram Savant (385) Maine Mar 29, 2006

using carapils and wheat in small amounts supposedly enhance head retention. Your beer drinking glass will hold a head longer being warm and also when cleaning your beer drinking glass, don't overdo cleaning. dawn and water until no more soap is seen. good enough. air dry it. I have never added wheat or caraplils for head retention cause my beers always hold a slight head all the way down. Not sure why, they just do.