1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Pairing Advice

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by trodersark, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Hey Guys,

My catering company, Vagabond Grillyard (www.vagabondgrillyard.com) is doing an event in Los Angeles and I wanted some advice on craft beer pairings for some of our menu items. When you suggest an item, please keep in mind that the beers can't be uber rare, and can be purchased at a craft beer store without much difficulty (things like brouwerij West 5 Blonde, or Caldera IPA, Chimay Blue, etc). Thank you in advance for your help! Here's the menu for the day:

1) Signature Burger: 21 day dry-aged beef, arugula, tilamook sharp cheddar, garlic cilantro aioli, on brioche

2)Bacon Bleu Burger: 21 day dry-aged beef, arugula, crumbled blue cheese, applewood smoked thick bacon, garlic aioli, on brioche

3)Pulled Pork: 12-hour roasted pork, bacon, sriracha poppyseed coleslaw, fried onions, on portuguese bread

4)Classic Grilled Cheese: Buttered Brioche and American Cheese

2. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Advocate (745) Illinois Dec 13, 2008

Heavy Dark beers better with beef (1st two on your list)
    Blonde with Grilled Cheese
    Pork, i find is flexible.

Last few years, I have really enjoyed and gotten into pairing craft beer.
    Most times, it makes the food AND the beer taste that much more amazing!

Sounds like a delicious menu, be right over. ;)
    good luck.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  3. bnuno

bnuno Aficionado (155) California Feb 8, 2011

Dang now i am really starving and got an hour to go for lunch. Obviously beer goes great with some burgers and BBQ, i like a dobblebock(maybe ayeringer celebrator), belgian strong dark (the chimay) or even a porter/stout with some roastiness characters that match the BBQ meat. Maybe find a belgian pale or even an IPA with the grilled cheese?

Curious on what the portuguese bread is? Paco seco?

4. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

Those burgers scream Russian Imperial Stout to me. Great Divide Yeti or North Coast Old Rasputin would be a great choice. Stone Smoked Porter would be a good choice with the pulled pork, however, an IPA could work with that sandwich as well. Perhaps Green Flash West Coast IPA? I've never tried to pair beer with American cheese, so I'm not speaking from experience in regard to the Classic Grilled Cheese, however, a good Belgian Pale Ale should work. Green Flash Rayon Vert, The Lost Abbey Saints' Devotion, or Orval fit that bill. Obviously, there are plenty of other brews that would make a suitable pairing. IIRC all my suggestions should be readily available in the Los Angeles area.

5. AttitudeBrew

AttitudeBrew Aficionado (120) Texas Aug 20, 2009

1) porter or stout
    2) IPA
    3) Brown Ale
    4) Blonde or maybe a saison

6. Thank you guys for all the advice!