1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer pairing suggestions?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by DBCOACHEMUP, Feb 15, 2013.

1. A friend of mine is doing a dinner:

I need help with a pairing for next weekend - flank steak stuffed with cheese and braised in marinara, served with fennel mashed potatoes and green beans. I was thinking something smoked, or a brown ale. Any suggestions?

Affordable, off the shelf, Illinois available...

Thanks!

2. I find Arrogant Bastard to go well with meats, maybe go with the Oaked AB, although it's not smoked, the slight woody flavor could be a good stand in.

3. Go with a Barley Wine. That will work well with your main course. Find one aged in oak, like Uinta Cockeyed Cooper and that will go very well. For a cheaper alternative you could do SN Bigfoot.

4. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

I can't imagine enjoying a barleywine with the fennel flavor. Personally, I'd go moderate so as not to combat the fennel, cheese (what kind of cheese are we talking about? Mild like ricotta or sharper like Parmesan?) and the tomato sauce. If you want a solid brown ale I'd try Smuttynose Old Dog. I'm in Chicago and it's pretty easy to find most places. You could also try a porter. GL Edmund Fitzgerald would be good and Revolution Eugene is a nice local option. I think you could also try a good Saison. Two Brother's Dupage Domaine is easy to find in IL and is very food friendly.

seakayak and FlakyBiscuit like this.
  5. lookrider

lookrider Savant (415) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Affordable, off the shelf, midwest - I'd do a nice IPA like Two Hearted or Founder's Centennial

6. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I'd go with a nice German pilsner or maybe a Kristalweizen.

7. Agreed, I was saying the it would go well with the main course.

mecummins likes this.
  8. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

I think your pairing would go well over in the "Beer and Food" forum.

9. Belgian strong dark

10. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

barley wine. You don't want something so over the top that it would compete w/ your food. Barrel-aged big foot was the first to come to mind, but that's difficult to get at this point.
    I'm not well versed in barley wines, but I'm sure others can recommend specific brands....

11. My bad. Was doing it on my phone...

12. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Try a mix 6 and you'll find out what works for next time. I think something hoppy and bright would be good to cut through the hearty richness of the food.

13. The Dupage Domaine is a great call. If you want something a little more hoppy that would pair well, North Coast Red Seal

mecummins likes this.
  14. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale or Stone's Smoked Porter

15. bluemooncanyon

bluemooncanyon Zealot (85) Maryland Jan 31, 2010

How about Bells Expedition Stout.

16. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

S'cool.

17. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Brown ale is a good thought. For the starch and fennel you could also go for a Strong Belgian Pale Ale, I'll just throw that wrench out there.

Enjoy!

18. La Maudite (Unibroue) is big enough to stand up to a robust meat dish, and it is one of the few beers I've had that pairs well with tomato sauces. I think it is definitely your best bet.