Beer & Pizza: What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by BladeRunner, Nov 8, 2012.

1. paulys55

paulys55 Advocate (725) Pennsylvania Aug 2, 2010 Verified

If you are ever sitting at home thinking, "What is the best beer to drink with [insert anything]?"...the answer is always GUEUZE!!

2. I usually like either an IPA or a nice Pale Ale.

3. tviz33

tviz33 Savant (350) New York Jul 25, 2012 Verified

No particular beer, but an IPA is definitely the style I'd go with. Something about the sauce just seems perfect and so complimentary to the hops.

Fluffinator likes this.
  4. +1

bifrost17 likes this.
  5. Favorite beer with pizza? Great Lakes Eliot Ness.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  6. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (730) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I had an Alaskan Stout with my Tombstone Supreme pizza last night and it was pretty dang good. Both tasted better. Im not really a fan of IPA's or Pale Ale's with food so I usually stay away from those when eating.

7. Standard pie? Pils/Pale/IPA work best for me. Now some of the more gourmet type pizzas...depends on the topping. If I can, I like JP beers with stuff like feta, spinach or gorgonzola on the pizza. A little bit of funk goes nicely with non-typical flavors.

8. mltobin

mltobin Advocate (665) Connecticut Apr 1, 2007 Verified

Most often, it will be an easily accessible IPA like Sea Hag. It could also be an old standby such as Brooklyn Lager. Pizza is not a food that I am going to linger over for a long time while eating. So, I find these beers, both in terms of flavor and not super-high ABVs make sense for the pairing.

9. uawildcat

uawildcat Aficionado (220) Arizona Aug 12, 2011

Best pairing with any pizza would be a Nitro Left Hand Milk Stout hands down. There is no beating the flavor combination, period.

10. Hoptometrist

Hoptometrist Savant (450) Ohio Mar 19, 2011

Prima Pils!

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  11. Pizza without beer is a waste of a good pie.

IPA, lagers, pale ales go great.

12. StoutChaser7D

StoutChaser7D Savant (250) California Nov 16, 2012 Verified

Hard to beat SN Celebration. Out of Cele season probably SNPA or Mirrior Pond.

cruzmissile72 likes this.
  13. I agree with most here. IPA or lager. I don't typically buy lagers but if I have some in my fridge I save it for pizza or some sort of fried food.

14. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

How about a hoppy pale ale or a Flower Power....CHEERS

15. diamondc

diamondc Savant (340) Texas May 30, 2006

Mine is Arrogant Bastard. Although almost any mildly assertive hoppy beer will do :cool:

16. 311kevin

311kevin Zealot (80) New Jersey Dec 13, 2011

Pizza goes with any style. Seriously, try them all. They all work. When I'm eating pizza, I reach for whatever kind of beer I'm in the mood for.

bpgpitt10 likes this.
  17. Highland Gaelic Ale. I tend to agree with whoever posted before saying reds/ambers are the way to go.

18. gibby

gibby Aficionado (230) Pennsylvania Jul 25, 2008

2 hearted, racer 5 or flower power b/c I usually have some sort of hot sauce on the place to dip the pizza into.

19. pjbear05

pjbear05 Savant (255) Florida May 28, 2008

I make a lot of scratch pizza at home, Detroit Style mainly, and I load 'em up, so with all that I keep it clean and simple, usually a session lager or pils.

20. What's a Detroit style pizza?

21. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Excellent question. I am in the same county as Detroit and am totaly baffled.

22. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (630) Maryland Jan 13, 2013 Verified

I was curious so I looked it up.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  23. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

All this time I just thought you could get round or square. Guess it was more complicated than that.

On topic, I like Sucks with pizza.

24. JohnQVD

JohnQVD Savant (375) New York Jan 23, 2011

Usually some sort of pale ale, or maybe a Belgian style or IPA. Whomever said Rare Vos was spot on.

However, I quite like a nice Spanish or Italian red, though, too, or maybe a South American Carmenere or a California Zinfandel. My former boss says that's wrong. He's Italian and says beer goes with pizza, but he drinks Heineken, so AFAIC he's wrong.

25. Mohican88

Mohican88 Savant (265) Ohio Jan 20, 2010 Verified

Pales and Pilsners always go well with pizza, and I've always had a fondness for Schwarzbiers. While in college I made plenty of pizza and really enjoyed Magic Hat Howl or Saranac Black Forest with it.

26. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (630) Maryland Jan 13, 2013 Verified

That would probably be my first choice. Amber Lagers go great with pizza, as do Amber Ales.

27. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (410) New York Jan 3, 2012

Milk.................

28. pjbear05

pjbear05 Savant (255) Florida May 28, 2008

It may be "parts pans", but they are basically a black steel pan that has been seasoned (coated with cooking oil and baked.) Detroit style is synonymous with two bars on Detroit's east side in the forefront of it all, Buddy's Pizza and Shields Pizza.

In a true Detroit style, the bottom and sides of the pan are oiled, or better yet buttered, and the dough is put in. The pan then goes into a "proof box" and the dough is allowed to rise. Pizza is then put together- toppings, Wisconsin Brick Cheese to the edges of the pan( the idea is Brick holds up to the heat better than Mozzarella) and red sauce last before being baked. The pizza bakes up with a crust that is crunchy on the bottom, but beady like in the middle, with a brown rim of crisped cheese.

Most people aren't neutral about Detroit style, either they love them or hate them. I love 'em, and will probably put one together for the game Sunday.

29. masshlx

masshlx Savant (335) Massachusetts Sep 24, 2003

Haven't had pizza out of my house in a while, homemade dough, fresh diced tomatoes and mozzarella, touch of basil and olive oil with a Berkley IPA.

30. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (305) California Jul 12, 2012

had a Tank 7 yesterday with some nice pizza for lunch and it was pretty great.

BeerKangaroo and Rekrule like this.
  31. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (920) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member Verified Subscriber

I made a home made pizza on my BGE the other week.. Smoked BBQ chicken with onions and cilantro, and paired it with a Hopslam, and a Heady Topper, and I'll say that was one of the better beer/pizza dinners I've had.

32. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (675) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I could go with the usual pils or pale ale, but I actually prefer saisons. Crisp, dry, earthy, raw. The spice pairs really well with the sauce. The funk pairs really well with the slight earthiness of the cheese and the crust if made with wheat or something other than white flour.

33. wiscotim

wiscotim Aficionado (120) Wisconsin Jun 13, 2013

What is your favorite beer to pair with za?

34. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (670) Missouri May 11, 2012 Verified

I actually thought this stuff was ok

HeelsandEers likes this.
  35. I think you're alone on that one :D

36. Bosoxfan20

Bosoxfan20 Advocate (525) Missouri Feb 6, 2013 Verified

I like my pizza's spicy, so I prefer an IPA...the bitterness does a fantastic job of cutting through the spice. A farmhouse ale with a lighter, thin crust basil pizza. Roasty porter like Cutthroat or Black Butte with a meatlovers type of pizza. But you can't really go wrong tho...pizza + beer = heaven

37. Yuengling no doubt

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  38. HarryPotHead

HarryPotHead Savant (320) Maryland Aug 21, 2012

PBR....something about pizza and drinking cheap adjunct lagers! [ii]D

Ozzylizard likes this.