1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer prices in NY.

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by frankthetank86, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Ok, I'm from LBNY and I'd say almost every beer distributor within a 20 mile radius has their beers way overpriced. for example i went into my local bottle shop and they have a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast stout for sale at $15.50!! and i most recently bought a sixer of SN Rurhless Rye for almost $13.00! Only in New York, I guess? anyone else in the NY area have the same problem?
  2. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

4-pack of FBS for $15.50 isn't nearly as bad as SN Ruthless Rye for $13.00... This problem is not exclusive to NY.
    frankthetank86 likes this.
  3. I also forgot to mention I paid $26.00 for bourbon county cherry rye. this really questions my love for beer.and i LOVE beer! lol
  4. What's your point? Most stores around Chicago were $23+ and that's if you were lucky enough to find one! Probably sitting on shelves in NY huh?
    VonZipper likes this.
  5. Beer has gone up fairly significantly around Chicago as well. Breweries raise their prices, distributors and beer stores and so we pay more. I think Hebrew 16 was $3 more a bottle than 15 was!
  6. Cherry rye didn't even make it to shelves @ most stores...and most of it was gone w/in 24 hours of an availability announcement!

was Hebrew 15 a 15 %abv beer?
  7. Yes and 16 a 16% beer. Weren't from $6 to $9 I think.
  8. Yeah that's a pretty staggering jump. I was thinking if there was a huge difference in the %abvs that might explain it...
  9. yup, still sitting on shelves but probably not for much longer. i was just stating that NY has ridiculous beer prices. that was my point...
  10. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

When I visit Buffalo the prices are better than Pittsburgh. I got Great Lakes Christmas for 11, Sierra Nevada offerings for 8, and Flower Power for 12. In Pittsburgh they're all about 2 dollars more.
  11. It's everywhere anymore unfortunately? I remember a few years ago when I thought bombers over $10 was crazy. Now they all ate (for the most part). :(
  12. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

The biggest issue in NYC is not that beer is generally priced higher than other areas - it's that it's generally priced slightly higher than other areas in best case scenarios. That said, the massive range puts decently-overpriced at the cheap end of things and ridiculously-overpriced at the high end. There is no single place in the area where I've ever seen a particularly good deal on any beer at any price - I just hope to find some place that generally offers prices that are around what I'd pay in the midwest.

If you get near a Whole Foods, though, they've been selling FBS for $9.99/4pack. WF Columbus Circle also as BCBS for $25.99.
  13. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

But there not .....that's the price.
  14. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

The city? Hahahaha yea and a hamburger at TGIF is $25
  15. I'm in the No. Westchester/Putnam area and what bothers me more than the higher prices in the area is the range of pricing. I have purchased Lagunitas Sucks at $12.99 and $10.99 at two stores that are 20 miles apart. I have also picked up Celebration for $14.99 a 12 pk. and seen it as high as $17.99 a 12 pk. Fortunately, I'm close to CT and a couple of stores in the Danbury area where prices on most beers are lower. It pays to shop around and keep on top of price changes.
  16. 1Sundown2C

1Sundown2C Savant (430) New York Jan 13, 2012

With every store you need to know your pricing. I've been to Monarch in LB where 21st Amendment's Hop Crisis is $18+ and $11.99 at McBreen's in Lynbrook. Then again McBreen's has some beers for $2-$3 more a sixer than Monarch, so it's just a matter of knowing what the beer should cost.
    ant880 likes this.
  17. danamal85

danamal85 Aficionado (150) New York Jan 14, 2008

As far as Sucks goes, at least last year it was priced along with Imperial Red/Maximus and not with the IPA/Pale/Censored/Daytime so it's possible the retailer didn't realize which tier it was.
  18. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

^ This 100%...I've been living in LI for a little over 3 years now and there is no rhyme or reason to pricing. A&R in Seaford will have some bottles that are $2 cheaper than Bellmore and others that are $2 more expensive. Bellmore will have a six pack $2 cheaper than any place in the area but a bomber that is $3 more than at a Whole Foods in Manhattan. You just have to get a feel for pricing and, unfortunately sometimes, through trial and error figure out who has what for the best price. I lived in Brooklyn for the first 27 years of my life and every store bangs you over the head there, so at least you have some options in LI.
  19. I presume you believe it was underpriced at $10.99 but I have seen it elsewhere in the area for the $10.99 price. I didn't add that the $12.99 price place keeps all of their beer on display chilled. It really isn't an issue for a new release but it does help if you're looking for something special or a favorite you want to revisit.
  20. danamal85

danamal85 Aficionado (150) New York Jan 14, 2008

Well IF it is the same cost as last year at 10.99 would be >15% so, I would say under-priced. It's possible that is was moved it to the lower price tier but, unlikely. Either way 10.99 is a very good price for the beer.
  21. VonZipper

VonZipper Savant (450) New York Feb 9, 2011

Talk to Mike about that one.
  22. yes, you are absolutely correct. iam definetly learning where ALL of the beer stores are around LB.
    VonZipper likes this.
  23. 1Sundown2C

It's beneficial and fun to check out different distros. Sometimes I'll drive to a different town just to check out what they have. I have to admit lately I've been sticking to McBreen's because they have the fresh stuff and an immaculate growler station which I don't mind paying a few bucks extra for.
  24. ya, i check mcbreens out as well as county-wide. sometimes ill go as far as syosset. i guess i just have to accept that LI is expensive but thank god its not as bad as NYC:rolleyes:
  25. 1Sundown2C

Yeah we pay a premium but we also make more than they do in Muenster, IN I bet! Haha yeah Syosset is cool for singles and if I know I want at least two or three sixers I'll hike out to Hicksville, they're usually $1.50-$2.00 cheaper a six than the theives by us.