1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Prices

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Swim424, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Swim424

Swim424 Savant (320) Florida Apr 29, 2011

Ok first I would like to say if there is a current discussion about this redirect me. But please read my post before you try to redirect me to something that isnt the same.

I have noticed recently that beer prices, mainly craft, have been going up. Now i'm not saying all beers are going up. But I don't get why beers like WWS or Hopslam are so freaking high. Don't get me wrong, I love both those beers, and think they are awesome but there is no way 10 bucks a single (in some places), or 20+ for a 4 or 6 pack is reasonable. I have had to stop buying beers I like, or would love to try soley on the fact that they cost a ridiculous amount of money. I am a broke college guy, supporting himself, so I understand I am coming from a very broke point of view, but its still crazy to charge 17 bucks for a 4 pack. or 15 for a bomber, or even 8 bucks single. Torpedo has become my best friend (which im not complaining about by any means) because it a great 6 pack for like 7 or 8 dollars. Is anyone annoyed with this?

and again by no means is this all beers or companies.

Mitchell57, chuckstout and alex_hart like this.
  2. Dude, between this and the Dazed & Confused post like 15 minutes ago, I think you should just take a lap, have a Torpedo, and call it a night.

regularjohn, KhakCane and MNBeer1017 like this.
  3. Economics 101. Supply and demand.

KhakCane, Rohkey, JonnyBeers and 5 others like this.
  4. Annoyed, yes. But, still willing, yes.

Prices are only going up from here: hops, grain, water... all in-demand commodities that are becoming more expensive to grow, harvest, and purify. Add on more complex and time consuming brewing styles...you get high prices.

Bottom line, if it's good brew, jump on it.

KhakCane likes this.
  5. Swim424

Sorry. Havent been on in a while, and my story brought me on here and another post got me bugged about prices.

6. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

It sucks, but it is what it is. I would imagine the amount and quality of ingredients would be very expensive for some of the big beers. When I was in college I drank the shit out of lagunitas and SN. I still do. I get what your saying though. I don't mind paying for something I know I like, its those 15$ bombers that are meh that piss me off.

Swim424 likes this.
  7. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

If you can't understand how WWS would be $9 a bottle, go back and review the brewing process for it. Its not just any beer when it comes to the material needed to make it.

Also most beers in the price range you are talking about are barrel aged, where the cost is justifiable.

KhakCane and ufmj like this.
  8. Instead of searching out all of the "hyped" beers, many local brews are just as good and are reasonably priced. Living in Colorado, I've found the beers from Avery, O'Dell and Oskar Blues are available everywhere, not too costly, and freakin amazing. My $.02.

Mitchell57 and djsmith1174 like this.
  9. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Avery is amazing!

10. and you're annoyed that you can't afford premium goods?

itchytasty, cnbrown313, JG-90 and 2 others like this.
  11. Compared to top level wine and whiskey, craft beer still provides the best deal.

dianimal, PeterJ, cnbrown313 and 4 others like this.
  12. torpedo >>>

13. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

Give the guy a break. I agree to an extent plus most of the over priced stuff is all hype man. There is plenty of readily available stuff out there that is about as good as it gets.

14. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

When I was in college Longhammer IPA was a treat! I couldn't fathom paying $10 for a 6 pack, let alone drinking something like WWS.

To the OP, how about not drinking these super premium beers? There's plenty of beers out there that don't cost $20 for a 4 pack

ricochet173 likes this.
  15. Brodie91

Brodie91 Initiate (0) New York Jul 13, 2012

Yea I totally agree. Im a college student too and it sucks that so many great beers are so expensive. Like I could easily get KBS if I wanted to, but I just cant justify spending that money on a 4 pack no matter how good it is when I can grab something like SN or locals like Brooklyn or Blue Point for $10 a 6pck. Is it the best? Not at all but it sure beats macros.

ufmj likes this.
  16. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

It isn't just supply and demand. At least I don't think so. I know what has happened to energy, ingredient, packaging, and transportation costs in my industry in the last three or four years. Our cost of goods sold has skyrocketed. Not many choices when it comes to maintaining margin. Cut costs or increase prices - either way gives people heartburn. We hedged fuel oil for our boilers about five years ago and that deal is about to expire. I predict things are going to get mighty interesting for my company pretty soon. Then figure in capital. The increase in cost just for stainless steel is a jaw dropper, never ind real estate and bricks and mortar. For some brewries that are expanding that is part of the picture.

I do think hype and willingness to pay or over pay does come into play, but do not believe it is the only factor.

stayclean and benart like this.
  17. Swim424

Its not that I want them to drop the prices because I'm broke. I understand that some beers I just cant buy often. But I have enough to spend 10 bucks on a 6 pack to just chill on. The problem is when beers that used to be 10 bucks, are now 11 or 12. and some beers that just shouldnt be 12 bucks.
    Again, not all beers are like this. most probably are not, havent actually gone and kept record of this stuff. Just an observation that beers I used to buy all the time, now I dont because the price has gone up. Or special releases that are the basically the same as the year before but now cost more.

There is a brewery like 2 miles from my house and go there all the time, and there beers are 3 bucks a piece, 4 for the special, and aged beers. Have tried a majority of everything they have released and not sure if I have paid more then 4 bucks a pint (not counting tip). Growlers are i think 7 bucks. There beers are some of my absolute favorites as well.

18. Spot on.

To add to your statement, yeah, the reason brews like Hopslam, WWS, and really any bigger beer are so high is because they take a LOT of ingredients. Grain, hops, and the special yeast that is essential for higher ABV beers (other yeast dies due to too much alcohol) is NOT cheap. Ask any homebrewer whether it would be easier on their wallet to brew a 5% ABV pale ale or a 10% ABV imperial stout. Ten times out of ten, they will tell you the pale ale.

Bourbon barrel beers add a whole new level of price. You see, these beers are taking up space and time of the brewer that is brewing them while they just sit, maturing in the barrels. Space and time are money. Also, bourbon barrels don't last forever and can't be reused over and over indefinitely. When their bourbon qualities are gone, the brewery has to buy new barrels from a distillery, which also obviously costs.

Lastly, as beachfirebrews said, it's simple supply and demand. Hopslam is a HIGHLY sought after beer. Bells knows it will sell for $xx.xx, so they price it as such. Then the distributor and seller each have a markup because they need to make money on the beer as well.

Are prices a bit ridiculous, yeah, in certain beers they are (Hoppin' Frog, Mikkeller, Evil Twin seem to be the worst offenders I've seen), but for other beers they're not so bad. Also, it's worth noting that $/oz., Hopslam is cheaper than the beloved "value" DIPA bomber, Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. Others have said that before, so I can't take credit for that tidbit.

benart likes this.
  19. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (235) Ohio May 22, 2006

You do not need to apologize, this is a beer talk forum after all!

EyePeeAyBryan likes this.
  20. BKBassist

BKBassist Savant (480) New York Jan 24, 2013

I don't mind limited release beers being pricier, I really don't mind anything being too pricey. You have your Torpedo, and there are plenty of other good offerings that don't really get to crazy priced on their year round stuff (Stone, Lagunitas come to mind). Find something affordable to be your go to (you appear to have done this) and keep the other stuff for special occasions or one offs.

21. dar482

dar482 Advocate (690) New York Mar 9, 2007

Drink better and drink less.

If you want to get drunk, go have some Smirnoff.

22. Premo88

Premo88 Advocate (500) Texas Jun 6, 2010

use your thin bank account to find the best beers you can afford, like SN Torpedo ... when your bank account grows over the years and you can more easily afford the expensive stuff, you'll still be able to appreciate your long list of cheaper go-to beers.

all of that and learn to drink slower ...

23. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

I also hate cars, where do they get off charging me $20k for a pile of metal and plastic?

Swim424 and benart like this.
  24. All the more reason to stick with the local folks, which is the direction this industry will continue heading in for a while: small time producers producing quality stuff and not trying to stick it to the consumer for reasons that don't seem readily evident.

(All of this is why I don't chase whales and don't care if I missed hyped up releases. Many of the breweries/beers I am interested in trying are from places most people have never even heard of.)

And I hope you don't forget about the smaller spots that took care of you after you start making bigger $$.

25. It doesn't bother me, you know why? I can buy beers from, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas, New Belgium, Avery, Stone, Sam Adams, Firestone Walker, Caldera, Big Sky, etc... for under $10 a 6 pack.

I really don't need, nor do I want beers from these guys that have been around for 2 years and selling their beers at $8+ a bomber.

Swim424, keithmurray and chuckstout like this.
  26. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

On one hand, there's the beer that is more expensive due to extra cost/time in production. WWS is a HUGE beer. KBS/BCBS have the cost of barrels + overhead in storing them for so long.

Then there's the specialty beer that is more expensive because of hype. I need not go farther than the BA Darlkord variants as a prime example of this.
    You mentioned the increasing prices for 4-packs and bombers, but you didn't give any examples of those 4-packs/bombers that were previously affordable, but are no longer.

27. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (380) New York Nov 16, 2007

I remember only 5 years ago 120min IPA and WWS were $5/bottle - now $13.99/bottle - 3 years ago KBS was $5 per bottle and readily available -

Swim424 likes this.
  28. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (865) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

RARE costs money too, on top of the barley malt, yeast, water and hops they use to make beer.

29. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

If finances are a concern you might consider trying your hand at homebrewing.

beercanman likes this.
  30. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

I really agree with this thought. I'd rather have a little of something really good than a lot of cheap, mediocre stuff.

yemenmocha and dar482 like this.
  31. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

A really great beer I just picked up for $8.99 a 6'er is Great Lakes Rye of the Tiger. Ton of flavor and great hop intensity and an amazing price for the quality.

32. mental1

mental1 Aficionado (165) Virginia Jan 31, 2013

Sucks is $8.99 a sixer at the right stores in Richmond. I call that a bargain.

Ristaccia likes this.
  33. Someone just post the Abyss 09 rant guy going on Abyss being $18 and Great Lakes Porter (one of the top 100 beers OF ALL TIME!) being a dollar a bottle. /thread

34. Yup, I have not seen it sold for that cheap around here.

35. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

$10-$11 in Boston usually

36. benart

benart Aficionado (135) Delaware Dec 20, 2008

not sure where you were buying 120 & WWS for $5... I moved to DE 5 years ago, they were never cheaper than $7.99 a bottle.

37. I don't know where people got that he needed recommendations or that he needed to get drunk. He's just stating that there are beers that are overpriced, and it cuts off a portion of the market. I'm sort of in the same boat as this guy being young, recently out of college, and not bringing home the biggest pay check.

I agree to an extent about the topic. I don't usually mind paying $15-20 for a limited beer from reputable brewery like Founders or Surly. I become extremely hesitant however with smaller breweries that have these price points. Probably 9/10 times I'll just pass over it because I don't know enough about the brewery and quality of product they're putting out. A recent example would be Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree, which I think where I live was $18 a 4pk. I think I've had maybe one beer from Dark Horse, and I just don't hear enough about them so I passed all together. There are some smaller local breweries that have these price points, and I won't even give them the time of day.

Ristaccia, chuckstout and Swim424 like this.
  38. Do you prefer that BCBS be available in 30 can packs. You are InBev's target market with their Goose Island takeover.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  39. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (180) Finland Oct 18, 2012

Well, prices of beers are not actually related that much prices of ingredients. As I have wrote before, every brewery (yes, craft also) try to make as much profit as they can. There are always some price point which maximates their profit. They try find that one. It is actually same thing whit stores etc.

40. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

If your locals are great then absolutely. But not all of us have local breweries that are even close to the worldclass regional beers available on shelves. Plus, many local breweries charge the same or more for their sixpacks. I'm just not going to buy Sleepy Dog for more money per ounce than Bell's, Firestone Walker, or Ballast Point.

My humble recommendation is to drink best... whether it is local or not. If value is a concern, then drink the best tasting one that is a good value. Cheers.

41. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I have to kindly disagree. I think many have a set of ideals that are contrary to the pure profit motive, and some are quite explicit in this. They don't grow when they can easily do so, for example. And it's abundantly clear that many could raise prices but don't - most obviously those that produce beers that sell out within days of each delivery. On top of that, there's countless of examples of established breweries helping other breweries get started in their local city - yes, helping to create new competition.

I just think much of the craft beer world is really a mixture of various ideals that are often at odds with maximizing profit.

Swim424, stayclean and benart like this.