1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Beer Recommendations For My Daughter's Wedding

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bellce0, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bellce0

bellce0 Aficionado (220) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

The wedding is in mid-March (in Florida) and I don't need to be spending a crap load of money on the beer. The wallet is light from all of the other expenses. Likewise, most of the attendees could care less what beer they will be drinking.

I anticipate that two of the three choices will be of the Coors Light and Yuengling variety. I don't know about choice #3. I need a quality all-around recommendation for those who appreciate a quality brew. Heck, for that matter, I would love your input on one or all of the choices.

Thanks!

2. jtg5678

jtg5678 Savant (290) Illinois Nov 27, 2012

Because we're in different regions I won't recommend specific beers, but I would highly recommend a solid balanced German beer (either brewed in Germany or a German-style). If I am in a crunch and am expected to please a lot of people, I always opt for a well-balanced lager, kolsch, pilsner, wheat, dunkel, etc. The minute you go "imperial" or whatever, you lose fans (as far as the general population is concerned).

3. You cant go wrong with Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Oberon (Bells) isn't bad, and you can get it in March in Florida.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  5. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

Bell's Wedding Ale. a nice beer that will be appreciated by most

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  6. I agree with the SN PA recommendation. I'd also consider SA Boston Lager, but I think the ale is more appropriate as you are already offering lagers. Yuengling is a good mid level option for a mass event like a wedding. I think Coors light is fine too. You want to offer something people like and a lot of people like Coors Light and similar beer.

HighWine and MaxOhle like this.
  7. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

If you need beer for an event and are not sure what to get but want something EVERYONE will drink I have three words for you Kolsch...Kolsch...Kolsch.

8. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (555) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

SN Pale Ale, Victory Headwaters pale ale, Victory Summer Love

9. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

I agree that Sierra Nevada is probably a great way to maximize the happiness across the board.

10. Since you said you don't want to spend a lot on the beer and most wedding guests are not usually overloaded with us BA types, the standard is usually Sam Adams. My sister is getting remarried this Spring and I'm sure I'll be bringing my own for before and after. During, I'll have whatever is offered and be grateful.

11. how about a firestone 31.....good enough for craft fan to enjoy not over bearing enough for a BMC fan to enjoy...

12. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

Doesn't the groom have a say in such pressing matters???

1424IpA likes this.
  13. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Kolsch - hands down.

If you're really adventurous - the highest ABV beer you can find mass quantities of because there's no party like family blitzed out of their gourd, settling old scores...

14. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Wild. :p HAHA Just kidding Dad. I have 2 daughters myself and I might be pouring something like Arctic Panzer, Surly Darkness, or some other aptly named drink to let the suitor know how harsh I'lllitzkrieg his arse if he ain't good to my lil' girl.;)

15. are you in the Tampa area? given that your third selection is specific to those who appreciate a more quality brew since the coors & yuengling will appeal to most, my suggestion would be to secure a CCB keg or some Cycle Brewing/Peg's growlers. i know if i were traveling to FL for a wedding, i would love some local flavor.

HighWine likes this.
  16. lic217

lic217 Savant (470) Connecticut Aug 10, 2010

Get out of my head....This was the first beer to pop into my mind. A refreshing beer on a hot Florida day.

17. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Savant (365) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I'd go with Boston Lager from Sam Adams, a good beer that many will probably enjoy. If not then maybe Goose Island 312? Another good one.

18. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Are you serving other alcohol beverages or just beer?

What I find at most weddings is that people tend to mostly stick to wine or cocktail. I have been to a wedding recently and they served all kinds of different liquor, red & one white wine, and Alaskan Amber as the only beer. I thought it worked out well.

19. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Being that the wedding is in Florida, there has to be something from Cigar City you could get. Maybe their witbier? (I confess that, living in California, I have no idea of what is available in kegs from them).

20. bellce0

bellce0 Aficionado (220) Georgia Feb 20, 2010

Of course, I'm simply seeking input. Do you have a recommendation?

21. donno005

donno005 Zealot (90) Minnesota Dec 2, 2012

I've become quite the beer snob, but my two favorite beers remain 1) Free and 2) Cold.

TravisSaps and MagicJeff like this.
  22. You're in Florida, why not CCB Jai Alai?

23. Sazz9

Sazz9 Savant (350) Texas Jul 6, 2012

Im getting married March 16th, and my fiancee's dad asked me what beers I would want at the reception since he knew I was a beer advocate. This is what I told him to please everyone from BMC drinkers, middle ground "Craft drinking hipsters", to beer nerds...
    Being from Texas, I chose Shiner Bock for something not BMC, but easy drinkability
    Yazoo Dos Perros for something more middle ground since the wedding is in Nashville
    Yueingling for the BMC drinkers.

And for the true beer nerds, I am going to have a secret "beer menu" of some goodies I have been saving that they will have to special request. So Yazoo Sue, Jester King Black Metal, Double Bastard, maybe a BA Rasputin

So, to the OP, maybe you could do something like this so that you can and other Beer advocates can enjoy good beer without having to waste any of it on people who would just toss it back like a keystone...

ChefHopMeister likes this.
  24. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Come to a wedding in Wisconsin.

I went through 7 1/2 barrels, my brother went through 12. All 19 were of the BMC variety (years ago)

jhillwastaken likes this.
  25. Skip the Coors Light and get a 1/2 Barrel of Hotter Than Helles from CCB. You're guests will thank you/me. You could also do something like Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan, CCB Florida Cracker, or Sweetwater Blue, or Terrapin Rye Pale Ale as an extra. Nothing wrong with leaving Yuengling.

26. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

I'm a Cali guy so I'd probably not be the best resource but I just wanted to make sure the future s-i-l was getting some say.

27. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Definitely SNPA. It's cheap and everybody likes it

28. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Whatever gets you drunk enough to drunk enough to say "this guy is gonna get on my daughter tonight, and I'm cool with that". Personally I'd skip straight to liquor.

jhillwastaken likes this.
  29. If you really wanna save money brew your own. I brewed 3 5gal. batches for my wedding and it only cost me $100. I brewed a Cream Ale, an American Amber, and a Belgian Table Beer. All were a great hit.

TheBrewViking likes this.
  30. The_Reeper

The_Reeper Initiate (15) Nov 29, 2012

I'd go with something from Sweetwater....maybe 420?

31. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Honestly, most people who want a beer at a wedding will just ask the bartender for "a beer" and happily take whatever they are given without a second thought. Does the groom have a favorite type? Or do you? I say get a smaller amount of your favorite (or the groom's) so you know that there will be something behind the bar that you are happy to drink. It's going to be a long night and you'll probably need one or two before it's over.

Jaycase likes this.
  32. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

I would shy away from SNPA -- it's fairly bitter for a pale ale, and people who aren't into craft may not enjoy it. I threw out over 75% of the Speakeasy Prohibition Ale from my wedding. Almost no one touched it.

Stick with something relatively mild and accessible, like Boston Lager. Also, surprise hits at my wedding were a hefeweizen and a porter (both homebrews). Go with somehting eas to drink.

33. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

I came to say this. It's a super drinkable beer and one that BMC fans will appreciate, while also providing some local flavor.

With that said, for my wedding this past december, I went overboard with the crafts and didn't care what my guests thought (at least not too much). I was surprised at the results. For the rehearsal I had a case each of Zombie Dust, Robert The Bruce, and Gumball Head from FFF as well as Bell's Amber, Lager of the Lakes, and Two Hearted. The only left overs were a sixer of Amber and Robert The Bruce, and another mixed six pack. We had MANY compliments on the selection.

For the actual wedding reception, we had a keg of BMC (Miller Lite I think) and a keg of Bell's Two Hearted, along with a full open bar. The Two Hearted was empty with two hours left on the bar and folks were disappointed. The Miller keg was still pumping at the end of the night. I was pleased by this and it goes to show you that craft is bigger than we think. Two Hearted isn't the easiest drinking beer for the uninitiated and it was a hit. In hindsight, I would have not gotten the Miller and just gotten a keg of Gumballhead or something fairly approachable.

I also served a Bulliet Rye old fashioned done traditionally (no muddled fruit or soda water), with just a twist of orange peel. Again, this isn't an easy drinking cocktail and most prefer Bourbon to Rye but we ran out of Rye bottles (of which we had many) fairly early in the night and when they switched to Bourbon people noticed. I think the key to drinks such as craft beer or craft cocktails is to have a sign on the bar that says "Featured Cocktail" or "Featured Beer Selection." People will give it a try because it's special and most will enjoy it because of the atmosphere. We did a featured drink for me and my wife had one as well so it was kinda fun for us and ensured we got to drink what we would normally drink at home or on a night out.

34. As just said... I feel that Hotter than Helles would go over incredibly and much better than any BMC product could ever dream. Consider Florida Cracker or Maduro/Jai Alai too.