1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Release (Short's Brew): Cerveza de Julie

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by HopHeadHerman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Hiya folks,

A recent installment of the 2013 Short's specialty beer release program has begun to grace stores and tap handles state-wide. This is the first year Cerverza de Julie has been bottled, and is sure to satisfy those remaining hot days of summer.

Cheers!

Cerveza de Julie: A pale yellow Mexican lager brewed with real lime. Delicate yeasty esters gather quickly from the ample amount of carbonation breaking out of this lighter bodied beer style, complimented by light fruity aromas. Soft grain sweetness enhanced by unobtrusive lime qualities shift toward a snappy citrus tartness, which turns mildly bitter before a crisp clean refreshing finish.
    5% ABV
    27 IBU

Cheers!
  2. Prager62

Prager62 Advocate (710) Indiana May 7, 2010

Looks like another trip to Michigan is in my future!
  3. Just when you think you have a favorite Shorts beer u guys kick out another badass brew, I love it
    Prager62 likes this.
  4. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (325) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

If this breaks into the favorite category it has some big shoes to fill, regardless can't wait!!
  5. MgoJohnStamos

MgoJohnStamos Savant (275) Michigan Jun 15, 2013

I can't wait!
  6. Here's the label art!

[​IMG]
  7. The first year we brewed this I thought it was a little too lime forward, but this year we used key limes and I feel it's way more balanced and quite refreshing.
  8. Brianw508

Brianw508 Aficionado (225) Michigan Apr 29, 2013

I will be tapping it Friday! Can't wait.
    Alextricity likes this.
  9. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I've been looking forward to this all year. When will it begin distro in bottles?
  10. hits stores this week
  11. Brianw508

It's out now in certain areas. Oakland today, macomb tomorrow
  12. Definitely on shelves in W. Wayne:D
  13. I wasn't sure how good mmkay would be after trying Great Lakes- Anniversary IPL (very disappointed), but Mmkay was Nothing "shorts" of amazing. Hopstache and Mmkay have been 2 of my favorite beers this year for sure.
    Zaphog likes this.
  14. sploofer

sploofer Zealot (80) Michigan Apr 19, 2013

Just picked 2 sixers up from Holiday Market, can't wait to try it!
  15. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

$7.99/sixer to boot! I had to get one.
  16. Tee2Grn

Tee2Grn Savant (305) Michigan Nov 6, 2012

Sounds like Holiday was the place to be today. I picked mine up there also. Great price. I can't wait to try it.
  17. rjcoy06

rjcoy06 Aficionado (240) Michigan Jan 31, 2013

I picked a sixer today too. Hopstache, Beard of Zeus, MMMKay, and Wowee Zowee have been my favorites this year.
  18. Tee2Grn

Tee2Grn Savant (305) Michigan Nov 6, 2012

Well I just cracked my first bottle. I wish I would have gotten another sixer. This beer has that " I could drink 30 of these on a nice day" thing going on. Another solid Shorts offering.
    I_BYE_MI_BEER and Brianw508 like this.
  19. Cheaper than Corona and twice as good. Real limes in this folks, almost taste that rind bitterness at the end of every gulp. They don't make big enough boxes.
  20. just had one. smell is massive lime and the taste is nice and balanced. this is gooooood chit!
  21. Brianw508

It just got tapped this morning! So good. One of my morning guys is 75 and loves shorts. He's drinking one of these right now.
    Alextricity and tommyz like this.
  22. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

My places are charging $11.99. :mad: I don't know if it's them or the distributor.
  23. Its the place, the distributor is statewide with Short's, pricing should be based upon the same cost. Have the previous limited releases from Shorts been on par with everyone else, they may have just misread their invoice (giving them the benefit of the doubt)?
    szmnnl99 likes this.
  24. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

My gut says, they are just pocketing the difference as they typically always charge $12 for Short's specials (except Short's Cake which was $14).
  25. That's a little higher than what you may typically see, not outrageous but definitely higher than par for the most part
  26. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I just had a Cerveza de Julie and Odd Side Pineapple IPA at Boat Works (You're welcome, Brian), and I was expecting to way prefer the Pineapple IPA ... nope. Cerveza de Julie's surprisingly tasty. Anyone ever have

[​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]
    That's what it tastes like ... and in the best possible way. Very good beer.
  27. Brianw508

I was there tonight with my wife & her friends. I wish you'd of messaged me, I'd of definitely bought you a round. Thanks for coming out
  28. Alextricity

I'll let you know next time I'm in. Looks like it'll be one of my go-to bars now. I love your taps.

Also, whoever owns that green Viper... do want. (I think it was parked in an employee parking spot, so.)
  29. Brianw508

Thanks. I've got some great shorts & greenbush coming for our 30th anniversary party. Working on some other stuff. Thanks again.
    Alextricity and tommyz like this.
  30. tommyz

tommyz Savant (475) Michigan May 28, 2007

Be sure to post a thread about it!
  31. Brianw508

I will. I know on getting greenbush Mr Hyde. The guys at shorts ALWAYS go above & beyond for me. I also set up a shorts event for oct 21. All 10 taps we have, growler fills after 10 pm, giveaways etc. I'm extremely proud of my relationship w/ shorts and want to continue to push the brand as far as I can in macomb county.
    Alextricity likes this.
  32. tommyz

tommyz Savant (475) Michigan May 28, 2007

Heres to hoping one of those taps will be Bourbon Wizard!! lol ;)
  33. Brianw508

They ALWAYS take care of me. if bourbon huma is ready by then, we'll have it. I'm extremely grateful for what they do for us as a small business. I'm going to do 2 shorts events a year, 1 guided beer tasting & 1 tap takeover. Once we get 25 handles next year it'll be easier to do events.
    tommyz likes this.
  34. Alextricity

Hopefully I can coerce my Bud Light drinking friends to tag along for that..
    Brianw508 likes this.
  35. Pete811

Pete811 Aficionado (185) Michigan May 13, 2013

Shorts having a tap takeover@ 8th st. Grille in Holland Oct. 5th..

Calendar marked
  36. MgoJohnStamos

MgoJohnStamos Savant (275) Michigan Jun 15, 2013

I was able to get my hands on a six pack of this, and MMMKay (as well as other shorts speciality releases) and imho Shorts is killing it right now. This beer is fantastic for its style! its very well done, and it definitely appeals to non craft beer drinkers. I will definitely be buying another six pack if I can find it.