Beer Release (Short's Brew): Ginger In The Rye

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by HopHeadHerman, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Good evening everybody!

In a last minute decision, our staff decided that since we had some leftover packaging from the last time we brewed GITR, we might as well brew it again, squeaking it into the 2013 specialty release schedule. I'm actually drinking one as I type!

Ginger In The Rye is a Rye Munich Ale with approximately 2oz of fresh ginger per gallon! ABV is 7.0%. About 600 cases will make it out of our production facility and I believe it should be hitting stores fairly soon. I'm including the original narrative from Joe Short regarding the first time this beer was ever brewed (January of 2007)...

Making this beer was definitely one of the top 3 worst brew days I have ever had. Something like 20 hours. I specifically remember being more angry that day than I have ever been. I have always been reluctant to use rye malt without a lautering aid in fear of a stuck mash. I went ahead and brewed it anyway and got myself into a seriously stuck mash. The rye seemed to work like a giant glue stick in the mash tun. I thought if I proceeded really slow I could cheat the inevitable "stuck" mash, but I could not. I tried everything. No method other than waiting for gravity to pull the slow trickle of sweet wort from the grain bed would suffice. I had to rig up a special heating unit under my sparge water tank to keep it warm through the duration of the slow transfer of liquids. I was hungry, tired and ornery as hell. Eventually I cut off the flow of wort into the kettle and boiled it hard and long. With all the tricks I tried to free the mash with, all I really did was dilute the sugar extraction, hence the long boil. So there I was late into the night with a kettle half full of beer and a day I felt was wasted on a ton of ingredients with undesired results. For this beer to be worthy of the series it had to be a certain strength. That is why this beer is batch numbers 262 and 263. I had to make two of them. This bastard of a beer did have a fruitful fermentation once I finally got it into the fermentation tank. I used the Weihenstephan yeast strain which happens to be the most preferred yeast fro making wheat beers by German Brewers. It was the first time this yeast strain had entered our facility. I thought it would work well for the rye and Munich malts I used. At this point the beer was developing quite well considering what a pain in the ass it started out to be. Toward the end of fermentation lost and lots of ginger was shredded and added to the fermenter. Ginger is a magical rhizome rich with healing powers that has been used since ancient times. The volatile oils and phenol compounds are the active components which are great for relief of nausea and motion sickness. It was also used as a cough suppressant and digestion aid. It is one of the earliest spices known in Western Europe, said to be a spice used against the plague. Nineteenth century bars and taverns kept small containers of ground ginger available for sprinkling into beer. I find it adds a nice spice and balance to the beer, giving it a pleasant finishing "zing" complimenting the character of the beer as a whole. I think you will too.

Cheers!
    --Herman

Ginger in the Rye: An experimental ale brewed with rye and Munich malt, fermented with the Weihenstephan yeast strain, giving it elements of a German wheat beer. A deep golden color with a shy white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma has a zing of fresh ginger mixed with hints of spice and faint banana fragrances, alluding to the complexity of this unassuming ale. The flavor is sharp and crisp, laced with snappy ginger, spice, and citrus fruit qualities. Although refreshing overall, the intricate blend of flavors seem to linger on the palate, similar to the bitterness of hops.

[​IMG]

2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Had one yesterday! It was very good, and I don't tend to enjoy rye beers.

HopHeadHerman likes this.
  3. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

This beer apparently isn't getting any BA love, but it's a damn good beer. The spicy ginger and Rye work well together, yet it isn't overpowering. Just a beautiful marriage! Good stuff.

HardyA likes this.
  4. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

Im just not sure on this...I have not met a "rye" beer that I have liked..And wont take the risk on a 6er..Hopefully it will be in a bar around town

5. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Friend picked me up a sixer from the brewpub a week or so ago. Very ginger heavy, but very tasty. Drinks much lighter than 7.0% ABV, too.

6. This year's batch came out a bit creamier than ones in the past and is due to our new mill. I dig it.

7. jacob4999

jacob4999 Savant (330) Michigan Dec 9, 2008

Anyone see this in SE MI yet?

8. tectactoe

Saw some six packs at a few places in Livonia.

9. Hopefully some of this makes its way to the Kzoo area, I'd be excited to get it!

10. Oh it will. Drakes, Mega-Bev, Tiffany's, Bacchus...they'll all get some I'm sure.

11. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I have seen it in SE, picked up a second 6. Our first was from the brewery and I was pretty sure we were out of luck finding it again. Pleasant surprise :)

jacob4999 likes this.
  12. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (680) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Brighton had some, still in the box.

13. I'm pretty sure I saw this at Tiffany's earlier today.

14. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to drop by an pick some up!

15. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

I'd prefer a traditional roggenbier w/o the ginger. Not many of those around though and the only example ive seen in the us is an austrian one that is a lager sort of roggenbier.

16. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Savant (250) Michigan Sep 22, 2012

I can probably grab you a single Tommy.

17. HardyA

HardyA Savant (345) Michigan Jan 26, 2013

Another winner by Short's. Fan of rye beers and I really like the ginger in this one

18. I can truly see this brew paired with sushi and other delicious Asian dishes--the spicier, the better!

Elatowski and HardyA like this.
  19. Runninmixz

Runninmixz Savant (250) Michigan Sep 22, 2012

Got one for u tommy. Ill let u know next time im up there.

20. tectactoe

Just finished my last one from the sixer. Patiently waiting for Freedom of '78 to hit stores now :)

21. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

thank you!

22. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

DUDE! How can you not let the word out about the fact that Freedom of '78 just got released! It just hit Kalamazoo today. I GOTTA score at least 1 sixer of this wonderful brew!!!

23. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

#HopHeadHermanfail Anybody see this in SE Michigan yet?

24. Just got home and was about to post it--didn't think it would be released this early!

MichPaul and Bay01 like this.
  25. alelover

alelover Advocate (595) Michigan Aug 19, 2012

whats the average price for this? heard a place in town has it but they usually mark stuff up so i wanted to get an idea before going in and grabbing some..

edit: never mind!! forgot shorts actually tells you the price on their site.. another reason to love shorts! ;)

steebo777 and HopHeadHerman like this.
  26. Elatowski

Elatowski Initiate (0) Michigan Nov 23, 2009

I had the exact same thought when drinking this. I WANT SOME SUSHI NOW!

27. alelover

glad i went and got this today because i got the last 6 pack from super liquor.. loving it so far and cant wait to get some sushi tomorrow to pair with it. :D

28. Its available in Frankenmuth.

29. alelover

[​IMG]
    went with some spicy tuna to pair it with and as expected.. its amazing!!

HopHeadHerman and Andygirl like this.