1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Releases...Where do you draw the line

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Swiderek202, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Is it just me or are some or these beer releases getting straight up ridiculous? Here is an actual part of release update for this weekend that states..."IMPORTANT: if you’re planning on being in line overnight, bring warm clothes, blankets, sleeping bags, water, snacks… in other words, treat it like an urban camping expedition". This maybe where I draw the line. If I have to camp outside to get a beer in the dead of winter...this maybe where I draw the line.

http://beerpulse.com/2013/01/foothills-sexual-chocolate-imperial-stout-2013-release-update/

I mean I just checked the weather in Winston-Salem and it is 34 fricken degrees out!!!

http://www.weather.com/weather/right-now/USNC0767:1
  2. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Wow, that is over the top.
    If I can't get in when I show up, I'm heading elsewhere.
    denver10 and BuckeyeOne like this.
  3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Some remind me of the Friday after Thanksgiving....I don't do that either! I don't chase the releases. Plenty of beer to be had without that kind if thing. That may change when Ihave had more, but being in a crowded store or camping out to get a beer isn't my thing. Some people enjoy it and that's cool.

And 34 degrees? That sounds like beach weather to a bunch if us...thank goodness it isn't in Iowa wher my fiend tels me the temp is minus eleven with a thirty degree windchill right now....beersicles by the time you get store to car!
  4. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

when you show up 7 hours early to a release in sub-freezing temperatures and it apparently wasn't early enough, that's where you draw the line.

also - for the Sexual Chocolate release mentioned in the OP, they will have it on tap tonight at the brewpub, so you don't necessarily have to stand outside all night to buy 4 bottles.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Camping out in winter? Nah. I have a two hour rule for releases. It must be within two hours driving and I will only wait two hours in line.
    DrLaFollette, dcloeren and jglowe77 like this.
  6. What's funny is that there are plenty of better releases in the Southeast alone (but ones that don't have as much hype) that don't encourage lining up all night in the cold.
    tbonehead1 likes this.
  7. Well, I have to admit...I don't do it often, but I will probably be in line fairly early at SC, though not "camping" all night. It is rather fun, especially if you're hanging out with some cool people, sharing brews, etc. But yes, it is no different in my mind than the crazies who line up at Best Buy at 2am for door busters. Just a different product. I guess I am slightly crazy too...
    CWinchell likes this.
  8. The fact that they're encouraging it is ridiculous. At least Portsmouth used to discourage it (kind of) for Kate day.
    Errto and TinCup69 like this.
  9. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I draw the line when they actively discourage bottle shares. With fine beer flowing I don't care if it is 0 outside If there are good bottles opened and good folks enjoying them releases are more like parties.

I also draw the line when the beer you wait in line for is no better than easy to get beer, **cough cough DL/SC cough cough** and overpriced. I'd rather party at home with friends, and get fine beer at a store.
    Bluecane, fishtremble and CWinchell like this.
  10. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (345) Florida Jan 2, 2013

Hunahpu release in March should have people in line at midnight... 5000 people last year. Its a nuthouse, but alot of fun. i dont know where my line would be, if the beer is good enough.
  11. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

At least camping out for beer makes some kind of sense, because the beer were presumably run out. But the stupidest thing is camping out for a movie... just to see it first. Now that is lame.
  12. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Camp out FOR a beer? Nope...
    Camp out in winter? Nope...
    Camp out WITH a beer? Now you are talking..........
    Pando, CWinchell and WassailWilly like this.
  13. Flyway

Flyway Zealot (85) Wisconsin Oct 22, 2012

And 34 degrees? That sounds like beach weather to a bunch if us...

This... WI agrees with you! But then again, I am about to head to the UP for some ice fishing this weekend...
  14. 34 degrees yup a nice spring day round these parts !!!
    Still not camping out tho
  15. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

I don't even go out of my way to get shelf releases anymore. Forget overnight or even waiting around for hours. There are too many other things I have to do.
    SammyJaxxxx and RoninTK3 like this.
  16. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I wonder when the East Coast is going to learn about www.brownpapertickets.com .

No lines, no wait, 45 days to pickup your beer.
    brother_kenneth, nanobrew and vurt like this.
  17. People don't really line up for Sexual Chocolate anymore do they?
    Sarlacc83 likes this.
  18. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

This was my first thought.

Honestly the camping out with other BAs is my favorite part of releases. At darkness day it was something like 10 degrees and even colder overnight but tons of amazing beers and tons of good friends made me not care at all. Grab your cool beers, and go to foothills. You will not regret it. Also dress appropriately for the 34 degrees :p
    CWinchell likes this.
  19. Wouldn't do it for the best beer in the world. Actually, I'd never wait in line for a beer more than a few minutes.
    RoninTK3 likes this.
  20. Wait in line ___ hours for beer? Only if it was free and I could get at least a case.
  21. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

When I've had every good beer that I can get by walking into the liquor store and waiting in line for two minutes I'll start thinking about camping out for beers I haven't had.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  22. I'll wait in line, but no more camping for me, unless it's an actual camping type situation with tents and sleeping bags and tickets to reserve a place in the "line" while you can roam free. I've slept on a folding chair for BBASC '11 (or 12... I get crossed up), and once was enough.

There's just too much good stuff readily avaiable (or already in my basement) to justify the effort.
  23. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (830) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

It's warmed up to 8 here in Indiana. I didn't drive to Binny's for the day after Thanksgiving but I do want to go to Dark Lord Day at least once.
  24. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

Sounds like Foothills is going out of their way to make everything as comfortable as possible knowing that people are going to be camping out. Kudos to them IMO.
    CWinchell and brother_kenneth like this.
  25. +1

I draw the line when there is a line.
    Dtapeski likes this.
  26. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I will not wait in any line over night unless waiting for a magic potion that saves the life or cures the ills of a close friend or family member. No big screen tv, no I-Phone, no concert ticket and certainly not a bottle of beer.

Anyone who does needs to take a moment and evaluate their priorities.
  27. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

No, if they knew people were going to camp out and they wanted to make it as comfortable as possible, they would hold the release in June.
    devilben02 likes this.
  28. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

1 hour if I'm solo. Possibly 2 hours if I'm with a bunch of friends and we can drink or roam around while in line.
  29. nanobrew

nanobrew Initiate (0) California Dec 31, 2008

but then the beer won't be rare. You cannot have a ticket release on a 12k bottle release and have it keep a high trade value
    evilc likes this.
  30. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I don't bring my camping gear to get beer. I bring beer to go camping.
    JimSmetana and tjensen3618 like this.
  31. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

the Police are fine with the bottle shares till 6am then you just need to be discrete and not acting the fool.
  32. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

I guess i draw the line at driving 4 1/2 hours and wait in line for 3 hours for a release. That is what we did for the CW 15 release.
  33. I understand that the environment of suffering in the cold, being around other beer nerds, and enjoying a few brews is a cool story you can tell later on if you so choose to do that, but I won't. I live in Raleigh, I'll wait until those bottles travel 100 miles down I-40 to my local shop so I can pick them up there.
  34. If I can't pick it up at my regular store on Fri afternoon, or order it online and pick it up at my convenience or have it shipped to my door.
    Yup, that's where I draw the line.
  35. dawatts

dawatts Savant (310) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

Still possibly six hours for a beer. Not out of my realm of possibilities though.
  36. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Makes you wonder how long people out there will wait for a beer that's good.
    cavedave and pschul4 like this.
  37. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Oh it's still a long time, and if you told an average person you set aside six hours of a day to go buy beer they'd think you were crazy. But here that's small potatoes and you fit right in.
    CWinchell and dawatts like this.
  38. It's a 4 bottle limit right? I just can't imagine waiting out in the cold that long for 4 bottles of a decent non-BA stout. In comparison I waited about 15 minutes for the gate to open and a half hour to leave with a case of bottles (while enjoying several tasting samples) at the Coast BA Blackbeerd release.
    Scotchboy likes this.
  39. [quote="pschul4, post: 910192, member:] Also dress appropriately for the 34 degrees :p[/quote]
    Shorts and a sweatshirt?
    pschul4 likes this.
  40. I waited in line for four hours for Zwanze day in December in Kansas City and it was unseasonably warm that day, but I would probably do that again. I thought it was definitely worth the wait. I think I'd draw the line if I had to pitch a tent.