1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Releases...Where do you draw the line

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Swiderek202, Feb 1, 2013.

1. gabeerfan

gabeerfan Savant (370) Georgia Feb 27, 2006

Pliny the Younger release today.
  2. dawatts

dawatts Savant (310) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

I had a planned trip up to the Cannery + Hills Farmstead last week (that feel through for me), for a vacation day and a total of 11 hours round trip with stops. I told 1 person about it at work. Her hubby is a beer brewer/geek so she didnt even question it.
    Hanzo likes this.
  3. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

It depends on the release...and whether or not bottle sharing is happening...cold and no bottle share at Kate Day sucked...but cold with EPIC bottle share at DLD could have lasted hours longer and would have been great...getting inside was almost anticlimactic.
  4. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

ive had sexual chocolate sevrel times, while it is a very good beer, i m not sure its good enough to create a line at release.
    there are better distributed stouts out there. but i guess thats not the point right?
  5. Exactly!
    I am heading out there today after work; haven't decided if I'm "camping" or not, but if I do it's definitely not going to be just for the bottle release.
    I'll do it because of the amazing bottle share that's going to take place from 8pm-2am tonight and continue throughout the night all the way up till the release at 10am Saturday morning.

This will be my 3rd event at Foothills and the main reason I keep going back on Friday night instead of just showing up at 7am on Saturday is specifically for bottle share.
    I've been lucky enough to meet some really cool people that don't hesitate to share their awesome beers with total strangers and vice versa.
    Add a little trading in the mix and it's just a great way to spend a Friday night, IMO.

but damn its gonna be cold (for us anyways!)
    KevSal likes this.
  6. I have shown up a few hours early to get in line for an event, but I cannot see myself camping out overnight for beer.
  7. Unfortunately, 6am is usually when I usually start "acting the fool".
    CWinchell likes this.
  8. Chrome_Dome

Chrome_Dome Zealot (95) Ohio Dec 19, 2012

Not sure where my line is yet.

There's a shop in Dayton that, instead of just selling it, made it a lottery system to win the right to purchase a brick of their WV12 supply. I didn't participate in the lottery. However, I heard an un-confirmed report from a friend that if after 2 rounds of the lottery they didn't disperse the entirety of their supply, they were going to release the unclaimed bricks to public sale the Friday before Xmas. From this news, which totally could've been bogus or they might not have had any left, I decided to take that Friday off work, drove to/slept at my buddy's house Thursday night (closer to Dayton than Columbus), arrived at the shop 7:30am Friday (store doesn't open till 9am), one other dude was there when I arrived... the line ultimately grew to 7 people of which I was 2nd. Verdict? They had 4 bricks left, so I was successful... only waited 1.5 hrs in line, but I put a decent amount of prep work in to bring that bad boy home.
    CWinchell likes this.