1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Reviews: Relative Versus Absolute

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JuniperJesus, Feb 17, 2013.

1. And he's right.

2. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (895) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I always score on the individual merits of the beer, but I like to mention comparisons to other beers in my reviews from time to time. I think so long as you don't allow these comparisons to affect your actual rating, including them in reviews is not only fine, it's desirable.

3. I prefer the reviews that give an overall view of what the beer tastes/smells like. If it has an overall high rating, people obviously think it's pretty good for some reason. Whenever I see comparison comments in reviews, I'll typically ignore them because I like to make a decision on my own. Everyone always thinks that there's something better out there for whatever reason.

At the end of the day, just try something and if you don't like it, then just don't buy/order it again.

4. I understand what OP is getting at, but everything in life is relative. There is no way to judge beer in a vacuum. It is the same way with music or art. People always try to categorize experiences and will compare those experiences to other experiences they have had. Although I find it annoying in music, I actually find it gives you a useful frame of reference when reviewing beers. One persons definition of "hoppy" or "dark" may not be the same as another's, but if they give examples of other beers they like that are "hoppy" or "dark", it helps you understand what they are talking about.

TMoney2591 likes this.
  5. I think that's the beer review equivalent of, "It's not you, it's me." It's just a nicer way to phrase something that the beer doesn't want to hear.