Beer rotation

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by frankb34, Feb 16, 2013.

1. As I have been exploring craft beers for several years now, there are many that Like that I would buy again but there are so many more to try. My gameplan was to keep 12s of Torpedo or Finestkind in the fridge and branch out from there. But that plan isn't working anymore as I'm spending more on top tier beer. Just wondering how my fellow BA's work their beer rotations..

2. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Buying singles when buying new beers and 4/6pks of seasonals I know I like. Staying away from 12packs.

3. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

That's what I do.

I don't have a rotation. I pretty much always mix-a-six of beers I've never had before whenever I go to my shop.

4. powpig2002

powpig2002 Savant (390) Florida Jan 26, 2012

always a 12 pack of torpedo in my fridge

5. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

There is Two Hearted and everything else. Two Hearted is always there, everything else takes its turn.

fx20736, WolfSnyder and Beefytits4 like this.
  6. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Savant (485) Illinois Nov 2, 2011

Always keep at least a 6er of SNPA or Two Hearted in the fridge. Anything else that winds up there is just a spur of the moment decision based on what is available at the time.

7. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (520) New York Mar 7, 2009

My major rotation is Fuller's London Pride with another English Pale Ale. The alternate varies but has been at times Old Speckled Hen, Tanner's Jack, Bass Pale Ale, Monty Python's Holy Ale, Sam Adams Boston Ale, Honkers Ale, Beast Bitter and Brooklyn Pennant Ale.

8. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

If I can keep drinking an exponential amount of beers every week this shouldn't be a problem.

ESeab likes this.
  9. I don't have a regular rotation and am always looking for new things to try, but there are some beers I always seem to have on hand.

First of all, I always keep a hoppy beer in my fridge. It used to be Bell's Two-Hearted, then it became Fat Head's Headhunter. Now that West Sixth IPA has made its way up to Northern KY I'm swapping between the two.

Next, I also keep a good, traditional lager in the fridge. Something with a nice, clean, chewy malt flavor. For most of the year, it's Great Lakes Eliot Ness. In Spring when the dopplebocks and maibocks start coming out, Eliot gets put on hiatus for a little while. Same thing in the fall when the Oktoberfests appear.

Finally, I keep Bell's Oarsman and some raspberry and woodruff syrup on hand for when I need a cheap sour fix.

10. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I often have a 12 pack of Schlafly Dry Hopped APA or Torpedo as 'go to' beers and then whatever else I buy. But I don't have a rule or remotely see any need to have some kind of plan. I just drink beer because I like it. So I just buy what I want when I want to buy it and drink whatever I have whenever I feel like drinking it.

11. drinkin SN every week with others mixed in

12. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (460) Ohio May 2, 2010

I am an admitted reckless " kid in a candy store" when it comes to bottle shops therefore I buy what appeals to me in the moment. I have never had a regular rotation of any certain beer but I tend to end up with a lot of Founders beers and mostly DIPA/ IMP Stouts in my fridge.

frankb34 and ESeab like this.
  13. I like loading up on the seasonals that take age well and that I can bunker and not have to worry about. Ten Fidy, Backwoods Bastard, Cafe Royale, Founders IS, KBS, etc. are a few examples I can pull out for a taste when in the mood.

Other seasonal offerings of IPA/DIPA's I'll buy a sixer or two or a few bombers and put them in the fridge and keep chilled until enjoyed, usually within a month or two. DFH90, Maharaja, Bitter Valentine, Sucks, etc. are a few examples. When trying new beer, I'll buy a single bottle for a test ride before committing to more.

At the end of the day, I seek out what I like and load up accordingly.

14. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

This winter I really stocked up on stouts, FBS, FIS, narwhal, ten fidy, brooklyn black chocolate. As ChefHopMeister said, they'll hold up for a long time and come September, when it gets chilly at night, I'll be happy I saved a few 4-packs. Just today I saw FBS and FIS on the shelf and bought them both for this reason.

Same thing with other seasonals, Bigfoot, Nugget Nectar. I bought more than I want to drink at the moment but when the mood strikes, they will be waiting. Other than that I'll buy singles to try and a six pack here and there of some fresh IPA that I know I like, lil sumpin sumpin, ruination, 60 mintue, etc cetera for a go to. (I wish I could throw sucks in there but it came and went in less than a week in my area)

15. I buy mostly singles to try new things. Anchor Steam is the only usual staple in my fridge.

16. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

I just buy the must have seasonals in quantity. (FBS, FIS, nugget nectar, sucks, etc..) Also pickup any bombers that interest me. Once in awhile there's weeks with nothing too exciting coming out and I go to some go-to's like stone ipa, old raspy, etc... Also hop on any good sours, really fresh ipa's, and some growlers occasionally. To sum it up I just buy a lot of beer, with the weekly releases in mind.

frankb34 likes this.
  17. deuce9259

deuce9259 Savant (310) Ohio Dec 28, 2011

I usually rotate the beers I like and know won't keep more than a couple months. But there is always a couple bottles of BCBS, backwoods or KBS laying around when I need a fix.

18. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (455) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

I'm always checking the "What are you drinking now" threads to get an idea of things to look for. Then I go to local bottle shops to see what they're offering for pick-6s. If there's a brewery/beer I recognize, I'll give it a try.

In my neck of the woods, the main pick-6s are from Central Waters, New Glarus, Bell's, and Founder's so can't go wrong there! A lot of my local shops have "rate beer" ratings...I know it's another site, but it gives you a good idea of what to expect if your not familiar with the beer.

If you frequent the forums, you'll start to recognize certain beers/breweries to gravitate too. From my experiences, I haven't been disappointed yet!