1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer scene around Aiken, SC?

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by n2185, Dec 15, 2012.

1. n2185

n2185 Member

So I might have a job near Aiken, SC next year and was wondering about the best beer scene. Is there much in Aiken itself or do you have to go to Augusta, Charleston, or Greenville for decent selections? Best bars/stores? Are there any local tasting groups?
  2. winbassett

winbassett Member

3. agirlandherpen

agirlandherpen Member

^ Second for ABC. There is not a whole lot in Aiken...but Augusta is fairly close (30 min) and offers a more active community. Columbia is about an hour away, and we have a very nice home brewing club...and some well stocked stores (Greens Piney Grove).
  4. n2185

n2185 Member

Nice. I might have to make a lot of special trips to Columbia and Augusta. I'm sure I'll be making occasional trips to NC as well to get special releases *coughKBScough* I saw Aiken Brewing listed and their beers looked pretty good based on reviews. Good to hear that it's a solid brewery.
  5. gothedistance

gothedistance Member

Grumpy's in Aiken is good too.

Retail: Harvard's or the Kroger that is closest to it.
  6. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Member

If you ever come to Augusta, go to Roosters Beak or Bees knees. They both offer good food and a GREAT craft beer selection. Recently there was a Terrapin Wake and Bake party at Roosters Beak with a 2012 keg and an aged 2011. Nothing short of greatness
  7. ontherocks

ontherocks Member

What is the name of that little wine shop in North Augusta, just across the 13th Street Bridge from Augusta? We usually come to Augusta - from Atlanta - in March for a beer can show and that is usually one of our stops. They usually have a few things that are not on sale in Georgia.

[Update: Wine World is the name.]
    LouDogg114 likes this.
  8. LouDogg114

LouDogg114 Member

Wine world! Next to the Highlander bar. They have a few different brews. You should make a trip to North Augusta Wine and Bev, a little further in town. They usually have a great selection. They are constantly posting new beers on there Facebook profile and take suggestions too if they can acquire the brew