1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Beer selections on flights

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by RaulMondesi, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Member

I don't think that I have ever had a good beer on a flight. Usually it seems as if Heineken and Corona are the "premiums," which leads me to drinking soda water. I've flown Virgin once, and I recall actually seeing some micro-beers, but it was a 7 AM flight and there's not much that I remember from it.

So, anyone have a good beer on a flight?
  2. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Member

This just in, on the Virgin flight it was Black Star Lager (they also serve Anchor Steam).
  3. jcb7472

jcb7472 Member

I, too, have seen nothing better than Heineken, Corona, Bud, etc on flights. However, supposedly Virgin America now serves Anchor Steam (as of Fall 2012), which would be awesome to drink on the plane. I hope to fly them when I travel from Florida to California this summer.
  4. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Member

I suggest we all only fly airlines that serve great craft beer. Hit 'em where it hurts - the pocketbook!
  5. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Not surprised Virgin would be one of the only exceptions. By and large the transportational channel isn't very profitable for suppliers so outside of branding and incremental volume(market share) it wouldn't even be worth exploring for most craft suppliers.
  6. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Member

Lets keep in mind that they have limited space to store beer on an airplane. They have to stock it for the majority. Also, due to the air pressure on an airplane, every beer you consume counts as two. So a higher abv craft beer (the type i would prefer to drink) would result in more drunk passengers than had the just stocked bud light.
  7. cbeer88

cbeer88 Member

This is not true. The side effects of alcohol, notably dehydration, can be intensified in the sky. And from traveling you may be tired, not on a proper eating schedule, etc. But ABV is still ABV - it's not going to magically get you twice as intoxicated.

I've seen Blue Moon and Brooklyn Lager on JetBlue. Lufthansa has Warsteiner. Midwest used to have something decent but I haven't flown them in many years and don't even know who owns them now. Basically if you stay away from the major US commodity airlines, then there are some options out there. I imagine with the growth of craft and movement to cans you'll start to see more. I'm not a huge fan of drinking on the plane though - I get dehydrated enough when flying...
  8. vurt

vurt Member

Alaska Airlines offers Alaskan Amber, which strikes me as a nice tie-in.

Also, I remember having a small can of Fuller's London Pride on a British Airlines flight from LA to London a good number of years ago. Very nice.
  9. jcb7472

jcb7472 Member

Just for alcohol in general on flights, Latin American airlines are the best. I have flown to South America a few times since my wife is from Peru. On Taca Airlines, Copa, LAN and some others you can get a beer, glass of scotch, rum & coke, etc instead of a soda or whatever when they do standard drink service - no charge!

Anchor Steam is only 4.9% ABV so that seems like a perfect choice to me. Way to go Virgin Air!
  10. sukwonee

sukwonee Member

yep I was going to say the same about Alaska Airlines. They also carry some Kona Brewing stuff for flights to Hawaii.
  11. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Member

Had bear republic on an Alaskan air flight from Vegas to Santa Rosa. Thumbs up!
  12. loafinaround

loafinaround Member

I'd gladly give up all booze to get semi-palatable food on a long flight......
    the best I ever got was semi-crappy wine while going to europe on various euro airlines. I recall Malev (hungarian) being the best.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  13. erichxedge

erichxedge Member

Airlines have to buy in a "transportation pack" case that the distributor sells to the airline for next to nothing. I work for a distributor in Southern California as a Purchaser, and the trans packs we carry are Coors Lt, Miller Lite, Heineken, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat, Corona, Alaskan Amber, and just recently Blue Moon. Miller Lite tends to move the most, as we service LAX / Ontario / John Wayne. Certain airlines load out of certain airports. We make nothing on these cases, and its a complete hassle, but this is what the breweries and the government have worked out with the airlines.
  14. Agreed. I just had a Longboard Lager on a flight to Maui.
  15. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

Thats utter bs. As someone who has traveled more the past three years than not, I can honestly say you can drink just as much on a plane as you could in your home bar.
    checktherhyme likes this.
  16. velcrowe

velcrowe Member

My last flight on Frontier Airlines had Dale's Pale Ale and Fat Tire.
  17. BigCheese

BigCheese Member

You can carry-on nips onto a plane as they are under the volume limit, in a plastic bag and you are 21 or older. Use that information as you please.
    NardiByNature likes this.
  18. Schmuck82

Schmuck82 Member

I try not to drink on flights because of the obvious bathroom problem.
  19. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Member

Honestly, I expect the beer selection to be about as exciting as the food being served. Cafeterias, prisons & C-Rations would be an improvement...although to be fair everyone should pony up for 1st class once in their lives to see just HOW different, though not much, the flying experience becomes. Lol I mean it isn't THAT big of an improvement, but it makes coach seem like a bus ride through a third world country. "Is this the bus to Cartagena?":p
  20. FEUO

FEUO Member

Can't say I've ever had a beer on a plane as the selection has always been poor. Opted for less than stellar vino or virgin spicy bloody mary. I'm sure where ever I am going there will be plenty of good beer upon landing. Otherwise, why go?
  21. ChicagoNick

ChicagoNick Member

Ofcourse, it's a rule-of-thumb since everyone metabolizes alcohol at different rates. But the fact is: your oxygen levels ARE lessened by the air pressure in an airplane. The air pressure in most cabins is the same you'd experience at 8,000 ft. Oxygen levels and dehydration, as you mentioned, will amplify the affect of alcohol. Your tolerance changes. I agree that ABV is ABV.

OneBeertoRTA... How many beers to you consume on your average flight?
  22. brewbetter

brewbetter Member

Best I've seen was Brooklyn Lager on JB. I don't really like to drink on planes, so I not too worried about it. I wish the airport bars were better though.
  23. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Member

The beers are terrible, so none; if you are asking how many 50mls then I am going to have to take my attorney's advice and plead the 5th...
  24. MasterCraft

MasterCraft Member

I flew BA to Italy over the summer and crushed massive quantities of "free" London Pride. Tasty, tasty beer. I think the other options were Heineken and maybe Carlsberg.
    herrburgess likes this.
  25. walterfredo

walterfredo Member

Best beer airline=Horizon, which is a subsidiary of Alaskan. Not only do they serve craft beer, it's always FREE! They usually have one selection per month and it's usually a beer from the Pac NW. Last few times I've flown on a Horizon flight I've had a Deschutes Mirror Pond, Ninkasi Oatis Oatmeal Stout, and some Pyramid beer. The free part is the kicker, and they give refills.
  26. blackcloud

blackcloud Member

I second Horizon. I used to fly with them a lot, and always enjoyed my free beer.
  27. oregone

oregone Member

Used to love flying on the smaller Horizon planes. At night, usually the only person in the back row. "can I just have the whole 22? Thanks. I'll probably have another in ten or so.". :)
  28. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Member

Just enjoyed a Dale's Pale on my flight from Denver to Virginia.
  29. ekardz

ekardz Member

alaskan is sold on alaska/horizon airlines; sometimes you can find blue moon on some of the bigger carriers
  30. jmw

jmw Member

Fullers London Pride. It was a flight from London to the states, but if I recall it was on a major American carrier.
  31. pvllbum

pvllbum Member

LOL...I was thinking a flight of beer like at a bar when I read the title...epic fail.
    ColdOne likes this.
  32. slinkie

slinkie Member

Horizon! Free random microbrew.

I don't normally drink beers on flights, but my coworker and I definitely cleared out all the Black Butte on a train back from Vancouver.