1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer snob or alcoholic?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Badger72, Apr 8, 2013.

1. I was thinking about this the other day as I was sitting at my local pub drinking a St Arnold's Endeavor, but am I a beer snob or alcoholic if I don't drink beer that is less that 5% abv? To me when I see that it is below 5 I just think less of it. Any help or input...alcoholic or beer snob?
    BierGartenok likes this.
  2. RichD

RichD Advocate (605) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Neither. You just like flavorful beers. Most flavorful beers are above 5%.
  3. If you're shutting out all sub 5% beers, you're missing out on some GREAT brews.
  4. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

ABV has nothing to do with alcoholism...

Is impossible for any of us to answer the question. Deep down inside everyone needs to be honest with themselves regarding WHY they drink. Your answer lies there
  5. there are actually lots of quality beers under 5% abv, anchor steam, Brooklyn Summer, Dogfish Festina Peche (most all Berliner Weiss's), Stone Levitation, Troegs Dream Weaver...
    tronester, aasher and Zimbo like this.
  6. Neither but if I had to choose between the two then I'd go with alcoholic as it appears it's important to you that you get drunk.

Personally though I think I'd label you as more as someone who is simply ignorant of all the great beers that are below 5% ABV. No offense.
  7. yes.
  8. You're neither a beer snob, nor an alcoholic. It does sound like you make baseless generalizations though.
    tronester, NWer, JulianB and 17 others like this.
  9. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

As I get older I don't find myself in as many situations where I need to drink a six or 12 pack of beer so tend to stay away from sessionable stuff also. It's not that I don't enjoy those beers I just prefer to drink 1 or 2 bombers of high gravity stuff in most instances.
  10. mynie

mynie Advocate (685) Indiana Jun 22, 2004

Why you got to go putting labels on everything, man? Why can't I be both?
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Neither. If you said 7.5% maybe it would be a different story. There's bigger flavors above 5% and that's fine. Those are the styles I tend to prefer in most situations. But there's also good beers below 5%. Discounting anything below a certain ABV regardless of style is remarkably arbitrary though
  12. Why are sub 5% brews no good?
    So if flavor is connected to abv then vodka must have more flavor than Bourbon County Coffee right?
    paulytasker, tcanaday and yemenmocha like this.
  13. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Actually I think it certainly can because alcoholics drink a lot, and they drink a lot for the effects of alcohol, and any regularly heavy drinker out there is not going to get much of a buzz on a very low alcohol beer. They always gravitate towards the higher alcohol ones because of this. These alcoholics would have to really, really drink them fast (use a funnel?) to feel any of the effects to a decent degree.

Not to defend Utah or other states with low abv laws, but even I can drink draft pint after pint of the 3.2% and pretty much never be drunk. I, like many here, metabolize it too fast and if you drink them very fast you get all bloated and full... yuck.
    tronester likes this.
  14. You've made a lifestyle choice and that is cool in this modern world we live in. Good luck in your future beer adventures, just don't have car keys on you while you drink within 400 miles of me if you will.

Cheers!
    lic217 and Providence like this.
  15. RichD

I knew this was coming.

I actually didn't say that flavor is connected to abv. I said that MOST flavorful beers are over 5%. With that being said, vodka does not have more flavor than Bourbon County Coffee, nor will it ever...And, some of my favorite beers are actually under or right around 5%. Sam Smith's Oatmeal stout and Organic chocolate stout are both extremely flavorful and examples of delicious sub 5% brews in my mind.
  16. Why do you think less of it if it's under 5% Do you think more of beer if it's over 5%?
    Providence likes this.
  17. BeerHunter76

BeerHunter76 Savant (445) Texas Dec 25, 2010

┬┐Por que no los dos?
    SubpoenaDeuces and dennis3951 like this.
  18. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (430) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Both I'd say.
    C2H5 likes this.
  19. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (360) New York Jul 16, 2011

there are many ways a person can be an alcoholic.
    How much do you drink daily? (total quantity of alcohol according to the equivalence given by AA 12 oz low abv beer = 5 oz wine or high abv beer = shot of liquor)
    Why do you drink?
    Do you get a buzz or drunk ever? Regularly? Is that the goal of drinking?
    Binge drink ever?
    NEED to drink daily? Do you even drink daily?

Just because you admire beer doesn't mean you're an alcoholic. I drink usually 1 tulip of beer a day... don't drink daily, never "crave it", and can do w/o it.... Would be more torturous to eliminate my daily decaf coffee than my beer. Therefore, I know I'm in the clear. Only you can determine whether or not you might have a problem. There are many websites to help you figure out whether you do.
  20. Do you "think less of it" because it's not going to get you drunk or because it's not as tasty? That answer should help you figure out what to label yourself.
    BryanK, Andygirl and Nectar like this.
  21. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

I'm not doubting that it CAN. I agree with you there. However, they will "always" gravitate towards higher abv?

I know of/knew more alcoholics that preferred bud/busch/Miller/etc than anything else
  22. NooseJustice

NooseJustice Savant (445) Indiana Aug 4, 2010

i'm equal parts both
  23. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Based on your description, I'd say you're an alcohol snob.
    Zimbo likes this.
  24. Sorry, I must have misunderstood you.
  25. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Are all those guys on Mad Men alcoholics?

Oh they are?

Shit.
    rauchfest, commis and Providence like this.
  26. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

You're a beer connoisseur.
  27. RichD

It's cool, man. I was a little vague initially.
    Providence likes this.
  28. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Here Here man, I was just out in uh... Auburn, CA and my boss and I stopped at the Auburn Ale House for Easter dinner and a brew. Had their Old Town Brown which was around 4-4.5%abv and I have to say that thing was very tasty and had some wonderful qualities about it. Had I not wanted to try some of their other stuff I would have just ordered that a couple more times.
  29. It seems redundant to say that most flavorful beers are over 5%, since most beers are over 5% regardless of how much flavor they may or may not have.
  30. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Alcoholic with stubborn views on beer.
  31. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

I only look at ABV to see how high it is; if I see something that is 10.0 or higher, this alerts me I should limit myself to only one. If its 5%, a few more won't hurt!
  32. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (575) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

Honkers Ale, a whole array of other ESBs including Fuller's, Kolschs, Irish Stouts, Belgian Table beers...
  33. I judge on abv. But only on abv/$ because I don't have an endless beer $ supply. I like 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon but I will 99.5% of the time will choose the 7.5% 6 pack beside it because the hobby is partly about the buzz. (For me)
    rauchfest likes this.
  34. Don't listen to some people..this is a legit question. You put it the best way you could. If you're asking this then maybe there is a concern? I don't drink low ABV beers. Higher content taste better. Are there awesome low ABV beers? Yes. So why everyone hopping on that? Not the point of his post..like others have said, ask yourself the reasons you drink. Buzz or flavor? Personally, flavor for me. Do I enjoy a buzz? Yes. Everyday? Maybe, but I don't bring it there. Am I an alcoholic? No. Different for everyone but good luck in your endeavors :)
  35. OK, my post made more sense with the visual aid that apparently got removed? It was a picture of Bug Light Platinum...

(OK, so maybe the picture of Justin Timberlake dancing behind it wasn't necessary, but c'mon!)
  36. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Was at Victory brewpub a couple years ago. A few younger guys had brought a newbie. He looks at the board and asks "so what should I have?" In unison his buds respond "Golden Monkey, it's 10%" The newbie asks "is it any good?" His buds respond "it's 10%!" So these boys could have gone anywhere an drank cheap bud light to get drunk but they chose to come to Victory instead. They wanna quick buzz but they're drinking better. So they are budding beer snobs; who in time hopefully will come around as well to the joys of English Bitter, Irish Stout and other smaller beers.
    alex_hart likes this.
  37. I think that you're not making wise choices if you choose to dismiss 5% or lower beer.
  38. i seek out and enjoy many brews under 5% as far as your question you are neither just uninformed of great tasting brews <5%
  39. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Abv means nothing. I consider myself a professional
  40. If you have to ask you have a problem. You're in denial. Best to high tail it to your nearest AA meeting.