1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

1. My wife would be proud of you boys, I am both shocked and appalled. Free beer + hotties + homies = :cool:

2. I heard some guy sent back a glass of Racer 5 because he had a horrible case of palate fatigue from drinking Lagunitas Sucks and thought it tasted a little funny. True story!

3. "Import" is a synonym for "Craft"or "Not BMC" in a lot of places, regardless of where its actually from. I'm not saying I agree with it, and I know that Blue Moon is a Coors product, but the waitress was probably doing her job correctly. Blue Moon is usually priced higher than regualr BMC. It's not her fault the P.O.S. system she uses has Blue Moon priced as "import". She probably rolled her eyes cause its easier for her to pay the extra .75 out of her tips then it is to explain or argue with a customer.

Hermthegerm likes this.
  4. chimneyjim

chimneyjim Aficionado (245) Oregon Jun 23, 2004

The Blue Moon may have been brewed in Montreal.
    http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/columnists/story.html?id=7bb2f27a-0e1d-4e99-8316-361eeb48df4f

"When Coors and Molson merged, it began to be brewed right here in Montreal, circulating as Blue Moon in the States and Rickard's White in Canada."

Roguer, darky, JxExM and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (225) Kentucky May 14, 2009

KentT and chimneyjim like this.
  6. bmurray10

bmurray10 Savant (395) Texas Feb 28, 2013

I have several times walked into liquor stores and browsed what craft beer selections that they offered. After a couple minutes of seeing nothing that jumped out at me, I walked out with nothing. I don't care, but I always get a funny look like "really???? you didn't find anything???" I laugh at myself and my pickiness, but hey I like what I like. I am the one paying for it. I am down for trying new things, but not rehashing average beers just for the sake of buying something. I think BMC drinkers are just as snobby, so who cares what everyone else thinks. Drink whatever you like.

Roguer and JMS1512 like this.
  7. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Savant (335) Oklahoma Aug 17, 2010

Good friends turning from genuine lovers of craft brews to "This shit is epic!" and "epic only tastings" and only wanting the big stuff and hanging out with certain people for status, appearance, and their beers, etc. I know a few that have done this, unfortunately.

It's craft beer. It's not epic. It's not meant to be snobbish about or shun certain friends for. It's just a great beverage to drink, discover, experience, etc. And the comradery that follows in pleasant conversation and food, etc. is a bonus as well.

8. in england we have a beer style called smooth which is a so called draught beer that has had any form of taste or character filtered and pastursied out and then to insult beer even more its served with nitro gas to create a smooth taste a bit like milk really. its popular with people who think lager is just fizzy keg. many breweries make smooth, its not brewed, but you still here people order a pint of smooth as if smooth is a brewery. my local pub always as a great selection of draught real ales on hand pump and will not serve smooth. if anyone asks for a smooth they are usually ignored untill they go away and buy a four pack of fosters or bud. i know a bloke who is intelligent but only drinks smooth when i ask him why he says because it always tastes the same...bloody hell....i despair

JulianB, JxExM and Zhiguli like this.
  9. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (295) California Jul 12, 2012

Yes i caught myself being afraid to walk out of a bottle shop empty handed the other day. Didn't want to be that guy who came in just to browse the shelves. But that's what it's turning into. I dont just go in with a purpose to buy beer, but jsut to see what they got. It's kind of how record shops used to be. Dig and listen for hours and hours and come home with a couple of records, if any at all. i'm lame

beerinNV, Roguer, HawkIPA and 2 others like this.
  10. Zhiguli

i love how things are in england.. just come up see what's on and as for a pint of bit'ah i'm happy. and i'd never bitch about the local offerings with particularly strong ragwatery notes in a village in the cottswolds. it all just makes sense when on location.

11. This is awesome. Somehow rudeness has a charm when applied in the British tradition.

12. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

I love quality craft beer but please kill me if I ever completely blow off a gorgeous woman!!!

stella77artois and Roguer like this.
  13. Zhiguli

I've done this at least twice with dos X girls and they're always very confused. "what do you mean you dont want these?!"

14. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (515) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

I did this last Friday. Just went to a store near work, that I had never been to, over my lunch break. Had no intention of buying, just scoping it out. On my way out the guy at the counter, seeing I was leaving, asks if there was something he could help me find. I felt bad so I asked if he had any bottle stoppers as though that was intention all along. So I got a set of stoppers for three bucks.

15. Zhiguli

you're a saint.

16. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (395) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

This same thing has happened to me at Applebee's. During happy hour I was told that both Leinie's and Sam Adams were import beers, which is ironic given Leinie's is brewed an hour from my house. Why don't they just say crappy macro's are X amount and craft options are X, instead of this domestic/import BS? Bizarre.

Roguer likes this.
  17. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (270) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I get that, and I'm not trying to bash the waitress. I go in there pretty frequently, and she's always been very nice. Actually that was the main reason I felt like a dick. I just find it irritating when restaurants do things like that because whether its labeled as "import" or "craft" its a cheap way to make more money off of people.

Roguer and checktherhyme like this.
  18. reifsnid

reifsnid Aficionado (155) Texas Jun 1, 2006

Mind if I ask which store/bar in Midland, TX? I'm heading there this weekend, and I'd like to find some decent beer options for when I'm there.

19. sgwagner

sgwagner Aficionado (120) Wisconsin Feb 22, 2012

I think I had my first beer snob moment the other night at my in-laws'. My mother-in-law offered to pour me cocktail (CC on the rocks) when we got to their house for dinner. That's usually my go-to for cocktail hour, but I said to her, "Actually, I think I'd rather have a beer." I went out to the fridge to find nothing but Corona. Within about two seconds I came back in and said, "Actually, I think I'd rather have a CC after all!"

The irony is after about 3 CC's I ended up having a Corona anyway! :(

craigo19 and Uncleserg like this.
  20. Kahless

Kahless Aficionado (170) Kansas Mar 21, 2013

An Indian restaurant here in Lawrence has Sam Adams listed on their menu not only as an import, but as being brewed in England. Though I suppose the Indian owners probably don't know their US history all that well so it's somewhat forgivable.

Roguer and spinedocschabel like this.
  21. I don't consider myself a snob at all when it comes to beer or wine, I like to consider myself as someone who will kinda just offer advice. My thought is, if you're at a bar and you're going to pay $5-$10 for a draft beer or glass of wine, you should choose something good. I'm here to help.

The only thing that bothers me is people who are too good for more produced beers when that's all that is available. If I'm at a wedding or a family event when Heineken is all that is available, I'll drink it. I wouldn't buy it myself, but I'm not too good for it.

MaxOhle, CupCait and M1k3y like this.
  22. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

As Yogi Berra might say...

"If people don't want to drink something, who's going to stop them?" ;)

DHS1029, frazbri, JxExM and 1 other person like this.
  23. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (425) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

It's the Wine Rack, at Garfield and Loop 250. Next to Chili's and Abuelos. The HEB used to sell a lot of good beer, but those days are gone. Pinkies is another option for buying beer.

24. Benish

Benish Advocate (625) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Not a particular story in general but my wife gets so mad when we leave a party and I say "They had Bud Light..." She knows what I'm thinking although I was only stating a fact ;).

Roguer and sgwagner like this.
  25. Kahless

Kahless Aficionado (170) Kansas Mar 21, 2013

I generally don't drink BMC if it's the only thing at an event, but it's not like the only two options are "drink BMC" or "be snobby." If you're offered a beer you don't want just say "No thanks, I'm driving tonight." If you're at a wedding or something with bar service rather than some dude asking you if you want a beer, just don't go to the bar? It's not like the bartender is going to chase you around the room asking you if you want a beer.

Roguer, JohnnyMc, Kerrie and 2 others like this.
  26. Again, to each their own. I like beer, unless I'm at some event like a dinner, I'm going to drink beer over wine and in that case I'll take what I can get. I'm not saying beer should be shoved down your throat if you don't want it, I'm just saying that although I'd rather go for something along the lines of Sierra Nevada, Goose Island, Sam Adams, or Troegs...I'll drink more produced beers if that's all there is.

MaxOhle likes this.
  27. Reminds me of going to a local bar with a friend of mine, the bar didn't even offer Sam Adams... or Guinness... even asked for Heineken! No...
    Ended up having a double shot of Jagermeister to sip on. The bartender stared at me aghast and asked if wanted something to chase it with as I began to sip on it. I said 'no' without even smiling or flinching. She continued to stare awkwardly... ironic thing was that her face was how I felt when I realized they didn't even have Heineken.

drinkAK and MickJ0nes like this.
  28. I was sitting in a craft beer bar in San Antonio. A guy walks in and sat at the bar near me. When presented with the beer list containing at least a dozen decent local draft selections, the guy waffled. He asked me what I had (Independence Convict Hill Stout...good stuff) but that was too dark. Bartender gave him a couple of samples of perfectly serviceable pale ales and ambers...still no good. Finally the guy said, "Don't you have MGD or something like that?" The bartender grimaced slightly, shook his head wearily and said, "One sex in a canoe coming up". The guy said "why do you call it that" to which the bartender responded simply, "cuz its f%#'ing close to water".

Beer snob??? yes Funny??? I almost spilled my stout when I fell off my barstool.

29. I was in a bar a few weekends ago and overheard a conversation between a middle-aged fellow and someone who I'd guess was his visiting and recently 21 nephew from out of town.
    The Uncle talked at length about how much he loved Rochefort 10 (both for the rich and complex flavor, and the high ABV) and the bartender suggested St. Bernardus 12 on tap, which he enjoyed.
    The nephew ordered a Sapporo tallboy and replied that he prefers "Mexican and Asian beers" because they're "brewed in the German style."
    I snorted into my KBS.

JohnnyMc and Eriktheipaman like this.
  30. At a friend's house, he offered me a beer. Got me a glass and--unasked--brought me some salt because he thought I'd want to check the glass for cleanness... I guess he'd seen me do that several times.

AwesomeSquad likes this.
  31. AwesomeSquad

AwesomeSquad Initiate (0) Missouri Sep 30, 2010

The other day I asked for a beer list.

The reply was a rather curt "Anything you could want, we have it."

As it happened, I didn't want any AB products.

As it happened, he was surprisingly flammable.

32. Kenzie

Kenzie Aficionado (230) Utah Feb 23, 2013

At the restaurant I work we are allowed to have a beer after we close and the doors are locked. We are a pizzeria, and only stock a handful of beers. We are usually only aloud a free P.B.R. unless we've had a busy night, in the case we can pick a uinta. My front girl accidentally opened a bud light for a customer. She tried to give it to me later on and refused. My boss was astonished I wouldn't drink that but sometimes drink a PBR. I gave an entire speech on how Busch is an evil corporation just like the government and how they try to shut down small craft breweries because they are money hungry, not only that it tastes horrible.

But honestly, If someone offers me a free gross beer I would rather have water.

33. If someone said otherwise already I apologize, but it says on the bottle and the keg where it is brewed. Still a pretty funny error.

34. darky

darky Savant (270) South Dakota Apr 16, 2010

Great post. I can attest that both Schell's and Millstream (MILLSTREAM!!!....anyone..?) really have it going on the past couple years. Schell's Stag Barleywine is just fantastic.

35. Uncleserg

Uncleserg Savant (260) California Sep 19, 2009

Ha!:p

36. Why is it so hard to understand this simple point? Some of us don't like the taste of AALs.

It has nothing to do with being "too good" for the beers. The have a watery, sweet, fizzy flavor which is unpleasant to drink. I am not going to drink a beer I don't like just because it's offered, just like I'm not going to eat a food I don't like.

37. Ericness

Ericness Savant (255) Massachusetts Nov 21, 2012

Made a stop to pick up a bottle or two for the weekend and found the store's beer section being patrolled by two guys pulling everything off the shelves and looking up the BA ratings their phones to see which ones were "good enough" for them to buy. They seemed very into themselves and self-satisfied that they were only buying the best beers even though I know they passed on some great stuff.

I did some serious self reflection after leaving the store.

38. EdH

EdH Aficionado (230) Utah Jul 27, 2005

Yeah, I don't really get that mentality. It's kind of shitty to turn down someone's home made dessert or whatever; but it's not going to hurt any feelings if you don't indulge in a Lime-a-Rita®.

Janeinma likes this.
  39. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Totally agree that the majority just don't like the taste of AAL's or won't drink a BMC product for other reasons - totally cool. But I also think that this is part of the "what equals a beer snob" equation. Some people - I reiterate some - actually do think they are "too good for the beer" or that "their beer is better than your beer".

40. Yeah, but no one ever writes, "if you don't like the taste..."

It's always "I'm not too good to drink a BMC" or "admit it, a cold BMC tastes good on a hot day" or "It would be rude for me to turn down a beer if a friend offered it" or other variations of the belief that everyone actually likes the taste of an AAL, but some of us just won't admit it.

pjeagles and LeRose like this.