Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

1. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

This.... is me.
    I catch myself doing it less and less, however.

And if I go to a place with little selection.... easy, a decent rye or bourbon neat, please!

davey101, KFBR392 and mjshearer1 like this.
  2. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Had dinner with an Englishman one time who requested a non-frozen mug which the waitress would not bring, so he poured his ice cold beer into the mug and held it between his legs to warm it up... I want to say it was a Hamm's or Old Style...we were not in a beer mecca... He went on quite a bit about American's not knowing how to drink beer properly, but I'm kinda thinking that particular beer might just have gone down better ice cold ;)

3. I felt bad over Christmas when I let my snobbery get the best of me. Nothing major, but indeed snobbish.

Every Christmas Eve, my parents and the family have dinner with their neighbors, been doing it since I can remember. So this Christmas Eve, my brother-in-law (who loves craft beer) and I were talking beer, and my neighbor (from childhood, that is) chimes in and says his new beer of choice is Guinness, and I slipped..."I'm sorry," I said. My brother-in-law chuckled and sort of agreed with me.
    "You don't like it?!" my neighbor said. "I love Guinness! I love how dark and thick it is." That's when I realized he thought Guinness was as hardcore as it gets, and that my brother-in-law and I couldn't handle it. I started to try to explain that compared to other stouts, it's really nothing special, but eventually I just gave up and enjoyed my beer. But I still felt pretty douchey.

EMLsd, slim2043, MaxOhle and 2 others like this.
  4. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I don't even see this as being a beer geek (it's certainly not snobby, IMHO).

To use a wine analogy, would someone call the OP a snob or a wine geek if he went to a wine bar and all they had was jug wine and box wine (such as franzia and the like), and he said no thanks? Hey, nothing against gallo rhine wine or franzia blush if that's what you like, but it's not what I want to drink when I go to a wine bar (or any place else for that matter), and I doubt anyone would give me a second look if I said no thanks. So it's not clear to me how the situation noted by the OP is any different. (especially as he was completely polite about it and didn't make a scene)

I also don't think it would make someone a snob if they told the bartender "No thanks, I like to actually taste my beer." (unless he was just trying to be funny - context is everything in a situation like that). IMHO, I thnk it makes them something of a jerk. I have to tell you it's certainly a thought that crosses my mind, but I keep that thought to myself!

I've had similar experiences myself, and at least these days, I simply tell the waiter or bartender that I prefer fuller, richer style beers, which is why their selection doesn't appeal to me. I make it a point to be polite and not the least bit condescending. After all, what control does the waiter or bartender have over the beer selection?

All that aside, what about the converse of the OP situation? The local BWW near me has a so-so tap list (though I can usually find something I can tolerate), but just recently they started carrying bottles of Double Jack DIPA (which I REALLY like). I made it a point to express my surpise and pleasure at seeing it on the menu, told them how impressed I was, and told them I would make it a point of going back often. I also left a sizeable tip, just so they had a tangeable example/expression of my appreciation. So is that then being a snob?

5. I've gone to a few house parties and decided to just not drink. Nothing worth drinking. No point, I just won't enjoy it.

jglowe77, _Joe_ and WassailWilly like this.
  6. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

My SIL's family will only drink Bud and pretty much only frequent a bar that would be upped in class by calling it a "hole in the wall." Not only will I not drink a beer there, I won't even order anything that they serve out of a glass because, well, I'm pretty sure that cleanliness is NOT next to godliness for this place. You only need to be served a coke in a glass with lip marks once to decide that you are suddenly not thirsty at all. And because of this, I'm known in her family as a bit of a beer snob. I'm OK with that.

7. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I cant drink my good beers from the bottle or a red solo cup. Ill take ownership and say I dont mind the snickers. I enjoy being different from the herd.

Cheers!

vertigelt1, jhhollier, Tut and 3 others like this.
  8. I am the same way, I can definitely pony up and drink some bud or coors or whatever at sporting events or parties ect. Then again I am less the one year removed from undergrad, sooooo...

yeti123 and xxbillay like this.
  9. I second this. Sometimes you just need a beer, terrific or not!

Bildo likes this.
  10. You weren't a snob, you handled it well and were polite. A beer snob would have began angrily ranting about BMC, face turning increasingly red while wildly gesturing with both hands, before side-tracking into listing all of the triple-oaked bourbon wethopped anniversary edition abbey ales BWW should carry.

At places like BWW, I find that all of the beer tastes like Bud Light because they don't care for the taps and lines properly. I tend to avoid going to BWW for this, among other, reasons.

Vonstein15 likes this.
  11. SaisonDeath

SaisonDeath Aficionado (125) Jun 20, 2012

I once suplexed a bartender through a table for serving a Westmalle tripel in a tulip glass instead of a chalice.

kristougher, KentT, Bugs318 and 50 others like this.
  12. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

If you live in Michigan, I recommend Twisted Rooster ... their Happy Hour specials are fantastic. 10 taps from Michigan that rotate frequently, and $2 a pint.

craigo19 likes this.
  13. I don't think it is.

14. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (440) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

I try not to be a beer snob. But sometimes people perceive me as one because I enjoy good beer. I also, won't comment on what other people drink. Taste is subjective so perhaps BMC tastes good to people. To each their own is my philosophy.

jdell15 and hollerined like this.
  15. LeRose

Isn't that being an advocate?

16. Did that as well and got a HUGE eye roll/dirty look from the bartender. She asked why I didn't want a frosted mug and I just said "I dont like my beer too cold." About 30 mins later I ordered another beer and she said "I'm giving you the frosted mug because the cooler that we store this one in isn't as cold as the one your previous beer came from."

You can't make this stuff up.

coachdicarlo likes this.
  17. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (370) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

I was at a local beer joint and watched a guy go apeshit on the bartender because he served the beer "in a f*&#ng snifter".....Listen, if it's a good beer, i'll take a red solo cup if I need to....

Padraig, Zach136 and boddhitree like this.
  18. Truth, all of them near me have the above mentioned beers

19. Brunite

Brunite Savant (430) Illinois Sep 21, 2009

In the OP's situation....or another similar one....I ask if the other party can spare 4 minutes. I then play this on my phone or Ipod:

20. Squidly

Squidly Savant (450) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

I can usually find something to drink. My peeve is with uneducated/disenterested bartenders. When faced with a never ending, never changing wall of BMC taps, you'd think they'd know precisely what comes out when they pull that one with the goose head.

21. I don't understand why this kind of thing is such a big deal for some bartenders, do they not have any glasses that aren't frosted? I mean, talk about going out of your way to not satisfy the customer.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, one of the local bars near me has a special once a week on their bottles in the fridge, which includes a barleywine from Duck Rabbit. I routinely ask the bartender if he will take one out of the fridge and leave it on the counter for an hour to warm up, and emphatically let him know that I plan on buying it. He's always happy to do so and I've never reneged on claiming that I'll order it later.

Bugs318 likes this.
  22. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Oh for the love of God.

yamar68, BDEE, mellowmark and 5 others like this.
  23. pthor

pthor Initiate (20) California Jan 16, 2013

Finally... Someone with sense. My favorite beer is COLD...

I'm not picky when my choices are limited, however, I will draw the line at light beer~ I just can't stomach that stuff.

24. In my experience it is the BMC drinkers who are the snobs, as they have no problem making fun of the beer I drink and think that theirs is the best.

Bugs318, JrGtr, danpam1024 and 15 others like this.
  25. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

My friends are BMC-only drinkers (Except one who at least TRIES craft beer, though he dislikes most of it), and I tell them all the time that that "beer" is catered to women (or at least I've been told, which is why it's so watered down), and they vehemently disagree, saying that their beer is the "REAL, MANLY" beer.

I mean, I too drink BMCs when there's no other option, but. Ugh..

26. Wow! I've found my long lost brother. Only difference is - my wife stopped calling me names since I keep my mouth shut and just drink.

ThatCracker likes this.
  27. Although when they say they have "everything", it usually means the usual suspects, I do the same thing, just to make a point.

Bugs318 likes this.
  28. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I think so, but... arguably, wasn't that what the OP was doing as well?

29. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

Nope, Im still young and dont like the fact that because I dont do what my friends do, they think I am better than them. I will voice my opinion still.

Cheers!

30. Yea, it's not like its an affront to them, its just personal preference.

31. Oh, don't get me wrong. When I'm not with my wife, I will ask a macro drinking friend or relative if they would like to try a beer with some real taste. If they're brave enough to try a sip, they immediately say this beer's too strong for me. And it's usually a pale ale or IPA between 6 - 8%. I will then tell them it tastes strong because the stuff they've been drinking is a watered-down alcoholized soft drink.

utopiajane, djsmith1174 and FosterJM like this.
  32. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I try to internalize my disappointment as much as possible, but sometimes it may spill over. I'll share this story that I've shared on here before:

I was at Bar Louie down at Patriot Place for a friend's birthday scouring over the beer list. They pretty much had your standard selection of BMC shit (really, just looking at it makes me sick http://www.barlouieamerica.com/locations/foxboro/menu/drink/louies-brews.aspx) as well as 2 drafts of note: Sam Adams Boston Lager and "Ask Your Server About Our Special Rotating Tap." Naturally, I inquired about the rotating beer and, I shit you not, the waitress responded with this: "The rotating tap this month is Sam Adams Boston Lager." I've never facepalmed harder in my life and the details about what happened after are a little hazy due to the brain trauma I just subjected myself to. I believe I asked if she was serious multiple times and then started shouting about why the "special ROTATING tap" is something that they always carry. I think I begrudgingly ordered a Newcastle. It was terrible

33. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (300) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

I typically will not have a beer if there's nothing I'm interested in so I'll just do a water or DC. The exception is my local cigar lounge. I can bring my own sticks so I'll typically order a Fat Tire to sip on while enjoying a stogie....or I'll order a Mac 12. I figure if I'm going to use their lounge smoking my sticks, I'm gonna buy something.

Bugs318 and dcloeren like this.
  34. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I've had snobbish moments when I was younger, but as I got older I realized it's just beer. I no longer expect the masses to share my appreciation for craft beer and I don't care that they don't. I will order what I believe to be the best beer a restaurant offers, if nothing appeals to me I will order a glass of wine. If I'm at a party or some other function and I'm offered a BMC product, and that's my only choice, I will probably take it.

FrancoCozzo, BDEE, schillman and 4 others like this.
  35. LeRose

Yep - seems so to me!

36. Heh. I find it jarring when other people in this thread try abbreviations other than BW3. Does that make me a Buffalo Wild Wings snob?

beastmammoth likes this.
  37. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

No it just makes you stupid.:)

38. I often bring a growler when headed to a buddies for the evening and will bring a pint glass if I know I need one. My good friends, I try to give them some pint glasses for birthday gifts so I know they will have some on hand. Have never turned down a frozen glass and would only not drink under the most dire of bar circumstances. A cold Corona on a hot summer day is a must a few times a summer. And my friends and family can drink whatever the hell they want, but I will try to get them to try some new and hoppier selections when they are with me.

BDEE likes this.
  39. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Thank you, I will play this for every person I know.

creepinjeeper and Brunite like this.
  40. What is stupid about knowing the original name of the place?