1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

1. I ask what do you have that is unusual...Sometimes they say Sam Adams or Blue Moono_O
  2. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Only a snob would write such drivel!:D
  3. If there was a vast difference between craft grown peas and some frozen, garbage type peas then no...you wouldn't be a snob. Developing a taste for great peas isn't a crime man.
    kemoarps and Craigory like this.
  4. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (425) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

because, strangely enough, not everyone likes hop bombs.
    Hrodebert likes this.
  5. This. Since when did it become a sign of good manners and politeness to eat or drink something you don't like? And, as a host, since when did it become OK to get offended because a guest didn't wish to eat or drink something you offered?

Seems to me, if you're the host, you want your guests to enjoy themselves. If you know they're forcing themselves to eat or drink something just to avoid hurting your feelings, would you really want them to do that?

And when the eff did all the manly man beer drinkers get so sensitive that they throw hissy fits over someone's disinterest in drinking a style of beer that's offered? "What!? You won't drink that beer!? I'll bet you don't like the tablecloth and napkin combination either! And I spent so much time planning this beer-and-TV evening!! Oh why do I even bother!!?"
    kemoarps, pjeagles, Tut and 2 others like this.
  6. rmtaggart

rmtaggart Zealot (95) North Dakota Apr 30, 2013

I recently started a job in North Dakota, a small town in the North West corner of the state. It was my first outing into town for my day off so I went to a chain restaurant in town. Now when I go to this particular chain back in Utah where I'm from I ask what craft brews they have and they'll give me 3 or 4. I asked my waitress "What pale ales do you have" her response made my face hot. "Pale ale...you mean like Bud Light?" I ended up ordering a Shock Top as it was the lesser evil.
  7. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

You're absolutely right.
    I'm a grammar and semantics snob. I look down on those who have an inferior command of our language and rub their noses in it at every opportunity.

Actually, I'm a newly retired teacher who has spent a long career teaching the proper use of English.
    It's not easy to stop. :)
    kemoarps, raffels and TongoRad like this.
  8. Way too much tortured logic here trying justify being a snob. Just embrace it, you'll find plenty of other self-important boors to back you up.
    iguenard likes this.
  9. Snob: "a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field" (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/snob?s=t)

After reading this thread, a couple of things stand out to me:
    1. It is not what you drink, but your attitude toward others about what they drink that determines whether you are a snob. You know who you are.
    2. It is NEVER rude to POLITELY refuse an alcoholic beverage when you are a guest in someone's home. No apologies or explanations needed.
    3. To the guys who made the comments about BMC being watered down for the women? - If you're on this thread you already know how it can sometimes be difficult to be a craft-beer lover among "heathens" (whether you've experienced it personally or not) - why do you want to further this challenge for women with your pathetic stereotypes? If I ever meet you in a bar I'll pour my husband's Coors Light over your head - and while you choke on that, I'll steal your Arrogant Bastard Ale for myself!
  10. I'll take 3 Dark & Stormys in a hurricane glass for $21 over 6 Buds for $25 any day! And tipping the bartender doesn't make the beer any stronger! ;)
  11. Bumping here, but I was browsing old threads, and it really made me think. The more I get into craft beer, the more I realize that the majority of beer snobs that I've experienced are the BMC drinkers. I've actually been given grief by many over the "fancy" beers I drink. When I try to suggest someone sample a simple craft beer, say, SA Boston Lager or SN Pale Ale that usually drinks, say, Miller Lite, Bud Light, or Keystone, I usually get a saracastic response of some kind.

These type of people stick to their beers no matter what. Never understood how a Bud Light fan can love that beer so much, yet berate someone who drinks Coors Light.
    admobeer34, woodchipper and kemoarps like this.
  12. An ipa is inherently a hopbomb? Since when?
  13. StuartCarter

since American craft breweries took the style and turned it up to 11.
  14. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

15. I don't think you and I have been drinking the same IPA's.
    kemoarps likes this.
  16. RobM77

RobM77 Aficionado (170) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

I do get a kick out of the BMC companies and what they do to put spin and market their products. Rather than making new, exciting beers, they come out with gimmicks... Bud's Bowtie Can, Miller Lite and the key hole vent, whomever else and the "vented can".

Reminds me of the makers of toothbrushes. The simple toothbrush, they all do the same thing, but they keep messing with the packaging and design to sell more.
  17. StuartCarter

I keep seeing comments like this - "oh, this isn't very hoppy", "it's well balanced", "entry level IPA", usually in reference to beers that are hop bombs and undrinkable to anyone who doesn't want to feel like their tooth enamel is being removed by alpha acids. Whatever you like, YOU like. I don't like excessively hoppy beers - whatever, more hop bombs for you, more malt bombs for me, right?
  18. I've never had either a 'malt bomb' or a 'hop bomb'. I guess I need to drink more beers :)
    Dracarys likes this.
  19. Recently, I joined some co-workers for some beers at a local hangout. I hadn't been there in a while, so I asked the bartender what their stout choices were. She said they had Guinness, Bass, Four Hands choclate milk stout, and NB 1554. Without even thinking, I immediately corrected her by informing her that 1554 was not a stout, but a dark ale. After seeing the expression on her face, I apologized saying," sorry, I'm kind of a beer fanatic". Later though, it occurred to me that a bartender working in an establishment that purports to have a craft beer selection should be informed enough to have known this. Given the choices, I had the FH chocolate milk stout But i'm known for being direct, not tactful.
  20. Turning an AAL down is one thing, making a scene about it is another.
    jimmy666 likes this.
  21. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

But Bass is way less of a stout than 1554 is, you should have been more mad about that. ;)
  22. Chiefy770

Chiefy770 Savant (260) Illinois Aug 20, 2011

A few years ago I had a conversation with one of my good friends about Corona. He swears by Corona, thinks it is God's gift to the universe. I personally do not have a huge problem with Corona but I accept it for what it is... a glamorized adjunct lager.

Anyways, we were having a small get-together with a few friends. He wanted to stock up on Corona and live off of that for the entire night. I bought a six-pack of Hopslam because the thought of drinking Corona all night made me feel sad. The night progressed and he asked if he could try a Hopslam. I gladly gave him one, hoping to "show him the light". He took one big sip, ran over to the sink and spit it out. I gave him a quick rundown on what hops were but it was wasted on him. It took great restraint to hold my words back. I was sufficiently upset that he wasted a bottle, I guess I should have saw it coming. I kept my cool by repeating "it's subjective, don't freak out" over and over in my head. We had a fun night but I lost a lot of respect for his taste in, well... everything after that night.
  23. [​IMG]

You didn't think that AB-InBev was satisfied with only half the profit
    every time a bartender pours a "Black & Tan", did you? ;)
    iguenard and shand like this.
  24. Right, so you go for Diet coke? that is far worse than ANY BMC type beer.
    dennis3951 likes this.

25. Just being a jerk, but I think Bells is the only one that turned it up to 11. :D
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/287/85819

But seriously, I see where you are coming from. However, there are some American Breweries that put out good "English IPAs". Granted that is the lesser traveled path these days where everything has to be bigger and better than everything before it.
  26. StuartCarter

BOOO!!! *throws rotten produce*

;)

Those breweries seem to be very much the exception, though, which gives me a sad - in the reaction against the mass brands, subtlety and flavour have been lost. It's all about the IBU or ABV, and beers which are just good daily drinkers tend to get rated poorly - it's easier to point to the ones that are rated above 90% because they are such a rarity :-/
    ncstateplaya likes this.
  27. Does this count a snobbery?
  28. cincysig

cincysig Savant (330) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

I've had more than a few high maintenance moments in my time:
    + If nothing on the beer list is to my liking, I will go with a water or a soft drink (sometimes this happens after the bartender or server lists off all of the beers they have in-house)
    + Asking for a small taste of a beer (or a few different beers) before committing to a full pint
    + One of the only bars in the area with an NFL package -- the only way I can watch my hometown team live -- has crap beer and does not take care of their beer lines. I watched an entire NFL football game there, drinking only soft drinks after sending back a wretchedly undrinkable beer (Dale's Pale Ale -- normally a fine choice)
    + Sending back a wretchedly undrinkable Harpoon IPA from a hotel bar and heading up to the room (after tipping the bartender for his efforts)
    + Not even ordering a beer -- some mediocre offering -- when I know I will be disappointed, because I have Double Sunshine, Heady Topper, Lawson's and others in my fridge at my home
    + A server asked me if I wanted another beer. I said I wanted a hoppier beer, but I had already ordered the hoppiest beer on their menu. She told me there is a difference between "hoppy" and "bitter." I told her I knew the difference and literally said, "I'm a bit of a beer snob." She checked with her manager, then offered me a Heady Topper off of their "double secret menu." Score!
    iguenard and semibaked like this.
  29. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

Says you. I don't want the calories if it isn't worth it.
    AwesomeSquad likes this.
  30. I notice that too. That of all the people I talk to about beer, the fellow craft enthusiasts are more likely to take a "to each his own" approach when it comes to specific beers. Whereas when I talk to the BMC drinkers, I find myself pulling my punches, so to speak, and not really going FULL NERD because I know the eyerolls and disdain are going to follow. As if I'm some kind of asshole for having discriminating (or "picky" if you prefer) tastes when it comes to beer.

But a part of me wonders if that's truly snobbery on the part of those BMCs, or just the tendency of humans for the majority to talk shit on and make fun of the weird or "other" minority. Because let's be honest, saying something like "I can't drink that shit!" in response to an IPA while preferring BMC is sort of akin to saying "I can't eat that shit!" in response to an aged, porcini-rubbed porterhouse while preferring a McDonald's hamburger. In both situations, the "craft" version has more flavor, as well as flavor profiles that often seem off-putting to an untrained or unaccustomed palate, but that ultimately, are higher in quality than the relatively flavorless BMC/McDonald's burger.

I doubt you'd ever hear anyone voice their distaste for a well-aged steak while advocating for a fast food soy/meat burger, so why are people so willing to do the equivalent for beer? Because most people like a good steak, even if they can't afford to eat them all the time. Most people do not like craft. It's a majority/minority issue.
    utopiajane and Potatocrawler like this.
  31. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Savant (435) Illinois May 17, 2013

I'm guessing he hasn't had fresh Diet Coke.
    Ericness likes this.
  32. Zormac

Zormac Savant (260) Ohio Nov 18, 2012

I would much rather 4000 calories then one mg of aspartame. get water dude........... although Fluoride is poison too screw it just drink the damn beer.
  33. SFNC

SFNC Savant (270) North Carolina Apr 7, 2013

Given a choice, I'll always take a craft beer, but in situations where none are available, a Butt Light will not kill me. I'll graciously take one or two (depending on my thirst) and be done.

Also, I am glad to share info on craft beers if someones asks and is genuine in their interest, otherwise it's like the strange guy at a bus stop asking you if you've found Jesus, or the old lady telling me all the cute things her cat does. I never want to be that person.
    deschutes_fan likes this.
  34. Seconded.
  35. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Australians go ape shit for crappy american macro beer. This one Australian bloke was visiting the US for a week, and we went to a very craft beer bar and all he ordered all night was miller light. It wasnt exactly much cheaper either, at $4 a bottle, when a craft was $5. He said in Australia they don't get much American beer and they love it. His eyes went wide when he found out about Bud Platinum. No Joke.
    semaj likes this.
  36. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Eh, one can argue the subtle lack of flavor of these beers doesn't interfere with the meal. I could appreciate that logic. Certainly IMO a good meal deserves a good beer, but I can respect someone who doesn't want the flavors to clash.
    charlzm likes this.
  37. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

You'd be amazed at what's in that Blue Ribbon next to your "name".
  38. charlzm

charlzm Advocate (710) California Sep 3, 2007

I'm not interested in nutritional advice, but thanks for your concern.
  39. KYboymatt

KYboymatt Aficionado (140) Kentucky Sep 25, 2013

It's not that I consume whatever is offered to me but if I'm a guest I'll usually drink whatever they have available and not complain about it. Most of the social aspects of it are basically just having fun with friends, and I'm not opposed to drinking a BMC beer, hell I usually don't mind a Coors or Miller light from time to time. But I have been known to turn down things like Natural light, bud light, etc. If it's really bad I'll just look for the hard liquor, because usually my family's taste in liquor far outshines their taste in beer.
  40. Kahless

Kahless Aficionado (170) Kansas Mar 21, 2013

If you don't want the beer offered and there are no alternatives you just say "No thanks, I don't feel like drinking tonight." If you have friends who are pressuring you into drinking, then you have bad friends.