1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

1. boddhitree

boddhitree Advocate (630) Germany Apr 13, 2008

Ignorant is a better descriptor, and bullies for attempting to make fun of anyone not following the herd.

2. its...beautiful. *sheds tear*

Steamer, blvdlvr and BetterBeerPlz like this.
  3. Exactly. When in Rome!

I was hanging out in a garage with some family and other rednecks (awesome people for the record) in NC for New Years Eve and started the night with a Rolling Rock because it was offered to me. By the end of the night I was drinking Jai Alai out of the can, and BCBS and Tiquin Gueuze out of my tulip.

I've drank some of the best beer EVER made, and I'll sit down and pound a PBR tallboy with you:)

kristougher, layinbrix, Bildo and 8 others like this.
  4. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Heh, I actually started my NYE with a BCBS, followed by shot-gunning a PBR (haven't done that since college!)

VonZipper and bryanole27 like this.
  5. MikeWard

MikeWard Savant (455) Pennsylvania Sep 14, 2011

I have done both these. Also, if no good selection as available, I'll politely ask for decaf coffee. That often gets some raised eyebrows

6. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (370) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

If you are sitting at the bar I feel that it is expected you will be drinking. That is pretty much the purpose of the bar. If you went in to get a beer and didn't find one why not order some bourbon or another drink you enjoy.

If you are just telling us how you went to a bar and kind of wanted a beer but really didn't. But then you did but they didn't have Pliny on tap. Then you basically just called yourself a beer snob?

7. What's more snobby...deciding not to drink, or always bringing your own beer and glass?

I'm guilty of the latter.

8. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

When I have parties at home, they generally turn into some great bottle shares amongst my fellow craft beer-lover friends. All my other friends know to bring their own Miller Lite/Bud Light/whatver, because they know I won't buy it! :cool: Whatever crap is left over, my sister drinks it :rolleyes:

9. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

What always puzzles me about all this, is what I perceive to be a double standard. I'm some kind of a snob if I refuse to drink whatever BMC shit happens to be on hand at a restaruant or with a group of friends, but then look at the reaction you get from BMC drinkers if you don't provide their swill of choice during the game or some other social gathering. Truth be told, if we're having a party, of course I'm going to provide some BMC, as I know not everyone shares my taste in beer. In my book, that's just common politeness and decency. On the other hand, I'm looked upon as the biggest snob on the planet if I politely decline the swill du jour at some BMC drinker's house, even though I make no comment about the lack of options when it comes to beer that I happen to like. Even if I bring my own stuff, I'm still looked upon as some sort of snob ("what, the stuff I/we provided ain't good enough for you John?").

So hell no I don't think the OP is any kind of snob; and what the hell is wrong with him politely expressing his dissatisfaction when confronted by such a mediocre selection of beer. He's got nothing to apologize for, and maybe the BWW in question will get the message if enough customers express their dissatisfaction with the crap on hand.

Sorry... I'm better now. Just needed to get that off my chest. Cheers!

10. I often walk into bottleshops and don't buy IPAs because they're old.

DanE, utopiajane, joefc and 11 others like this.
  11. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

My husband is a very polite beer snob. So much so that most of his friends over the last 10-15 years had never seen him drink, he just politely refused and people stopped asking. Well, one day his friend was going to come over and help me with my old FJ60 and joked that he knew there was no beer at our house, so he couldn't mouch beer for work. I said that there was, of course, beer at my house. He was shocked because everyone assumed my husband was in AA. So now I provide a new beer for poker night every week, and no one thinks he's in AA.

12. mackeyse

mackeyse Savant (290) New York Aug 21, 2012

"recon lap" . Like the term. That's the snobbiest thing I do: judge a restaurant/ bar within 10 seconds by the taps they have--I've become an expert on scanning a row of taps without looking like I'm really looking so the people I'm with don't feel like I'm judging the new "hot spot" they picked out.

13. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

See the smiley face?

obrike likes this.
  14. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (390) Nebraska Sep 24, 2012

I made fun on my dad once for drinking Bud Light. He didn't say anything back. It was years ago and I still feel really guilty about it. :oops:

ImperialStoat likes this.
  15. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2008

We go to my wife's friend's place on Christmas Eve for an annual chow down, and the selection is Corona, Heineken, and Yeungling, so I bring my own, either a 6 pack of something decent, or a mixed 6 from TW. Our friend's son asks me if I want a beer, I look at the choices, say "Jeez Mike, how you drink this swill? Try one of these", and hand him a Bell's Amber Ale. After trying it, he says "Hey this stuff is great. Where you find this?" I tell him about TW, and now he's going there putting together mixed sixes and getting his legs.

Hey, that ain't beer snobbery-it's converting the heathens, one by one.:D

Bugs318, danpam1024, JohnQ and 8 others like this.
  16. PyroHopBomb

PyroHopBomb Disciple (60) Nevada Oct 16, 2012

I don't have a snobby story bout myself but I do bout some patrons at the bar I frequent to. So I go to a craft beer bar in a town not really known for being big on beer this group comes in often and sit in there corner not wanting to associate with anyone elese but themselves. They often scoff and loudly comment im not into beer cause I don't care for sours ( I enjoy a dissident from time to time) . They also comment on said bars facebook with strong opinions on how to run a beerfest...the bar has been doing this for years they clearly know what they're doing.

17. The only "snob" comment is when someone hands be a bud light or BMC lager and make the remark of how i can really taste the corn and drink the beer cause i did not pay for it.

Beer is something I am passionate about so if i am a snob that is fine i prefer a good tasting beer over junk.

18. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,180) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

The waitress isn't dissapointed that you wont pick a beer because of the "selection", she's more than likely dissapointed you aren't increasing her tab which means she's going to get less of a tip. Surprised nobody seems to have picked up on this...

DanE, LMT, mellowmark and 6 others like this.
  19. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

You missed a chance to do the Improv Artists' "Yes...and..."
    rather than tell them how Guinness sucks and there are better beers..you can discuss the qualities of Guinness briefly and find what try like about it and then ...get them a better beer.

See i personally love opportunities like this. I whip out something awesome and open it for them right away.
    I feel this is like grass roots organizing when you believe in some political cause idea. If they tell me they like Guinness they get a Parabola (or maybe a left Hand Milk Stout....but you know....) if they say they like Shock Top they get Allagash or St Bernadrus Wit. People give me crap for buying too much beer but i keep lots of stuff around for exactly this reason.

This works better than you think. I've gotten lots of pretty uninspired people to change their habits. Now they tell me about every new beer they have and some people actually have cool beer at their houses now when i go over...Of course some people you never see again but you hope that knowing you'd just give them something great. And yes some do stick with their regular beers but they rarely tell me the beers i select taste bad. (of course you do have to overcome the drinking styles that some people have which do favor quantity and ignorability over flavors...

And the whole "bar has no good beer so what do i drink dilemma" makes no sense to me. Why do you need to have a drink? I just drink water or maybe carbonated water. Never a beer i that i know I don't like, never. Not even to be polite. I'm not usually vocal about why but i don't just order some crap because its there. So maybe that's snobbery.

Bugs318, vertigelt1 and LeRose like this.
  20. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

A local Mexican restaurant just a mile away from me has 15-20 taps, all dedicated to craft.

mellowmark, vertigelt1 and ChanChan like this.
  21. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I do that but don't try to hide it too much. Most times I don't drink when we go out to eat. Mostly check to see if I might want something without having o ask the wait staff what they have on tap.

vertigelt1 and MikeWard like this.
  22. chuckstout

chuckstout Aficionado (235) Ohio May 22, 2006

I have been in the same situation, and my 'Plan B" beers are always a Labatt Blue or a Guinness.

23. j47paco

j47paco Savant (370) California Dec 19, 2010

Similarly, there's a great Mexican food place here in Orange County that has 20 handles of quality craft beer.

mellowmark likes this.
  24. kpodolanko

kpodolanko Aficionado (100) Texas Dec 7, 2012

A friend offered me a Bud Light, so I stabbed him. Does that make me a snob?

jdaddy, Edhel, Bugs318 and 15 others like this.
  25. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I typically pick up Hopslam each year in Chi. It's a very good beer. It IS worth the high price. But it IS overrated. There are just so many IPA/IIPAs that are just as good and better.

teal likes this.
  26. Of course, I did. But the only context I could put it in that made any sense was that you just wanted to say something insulting and use an emoticon to pretend it was something else.

Don't use a CYA smiley unless it covers the whole thing.

vertigelt1 likes this.
  27. crossovert

crossovert Champion (790) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

ABInBev and MillerCoors dishing them off free gifts.

28. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

I dunno, I'm a "do unto others as you'd have done onto you" kinda guy. I don't have friends or family that crack on me because of what I drink and I don't crack on others because of what they drink.

Just doesn't seem like life's long enough to waste time doing things like that. Or to try and show up some waitress or bartender (who only works there) about how their boss decided to call the place a "craft beer bar" and not put the things I like on tap. Maybe it's just me but I'd much rather have a good time with good people and considering they can't drink anything FOR me and I can't FOR them - who cares what someone drinks or not. I drink to make me happy, not impress some other patron or staff member.

Now if I'm asked what I'm drinking and why - I'll explain and do so from my perspective of "drink less, taste more" and that goes for spirits too. If they don't have what are my minimums so to speak - keep my mouth shut and just find something I do like - even if that's only soda. How hard is it to say "Hey, I'm the designated driver" when they question you instead of saying "Well your beer selection sucks, it's all corn and rice water that's only good for watering the bushes with or maybe boiling some brats in. Your glassware is completely out of style and way too cold so no - I don't want anything to drink".

Meh - I'll just be polite instead. I find people don't spit in my food as often and my party and I get served better.

As close as I come to "snob" would probably be requiring a glass, I don't drink from the bottle and when I'm in an Irish pub, owned and staffed by Irish ex-pats I NEVER order a black and tan - always half and half.

I may have higher end tastes when it comes to beer or scotch, vodka, gin etc but it's for me, not for anyone else.

Live and let live.

29. I can't think of any good stories, but do find that there's much more "snobbery" among non-craft beer drinkers. They're usually extremely loyal to their brand, and find the notion of drinking another brand BCM completely appalling. I've often heard, "I don't know how anyone can drink Miller Lite, it tastes terrible. I only drink Coors Light." (And Miller Lite drinkers will say the same in reverse.)

Semi-related: it drives me crazy hearing how "heavy" Guinness is, just because of it's color.

Buzzardsuds and vertigelt1 like this.
  30. I saw an old friend at the park drinking a Heineken, so I politely kicked him in the ribs, shattered his beer against the wall, called him a girl, and popped his tires.

But I did it politely...

31. I would say wahoos is closer to Chinese than Mexican but you can have Garçon pick me up Saturday at noon :)

j47paco likes this.
  32. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Completely agree. If I have to prove a point, I'll have people do a tasting of a something like a porter out of a glass and then out of a bottle. I've actually converted one brother to using his glasses more often this way. But I will bottle drink before I red cup it. I hate those stupid red solo cups.

luwak and vertigelt1 like this.
  33. pjbear05

pjbear05 Aficionado (195) Florida May 28, 2008

For me the degree of snobbery varies on the situation.

Down here in Fl we have Miller's Ale House, a sports bar chain with a 36 taps, containing the usual BMC suspects, a number of imports and a few crafts-usually one or two from Shipyard, and Rogue Dead Guy. Food is good, and it's a great place to watch a game.

The local yokel place I go to for the UFC PPV's has the usual suspects, including Yuengling, which is just fine with a burger, fish sandwich, or plate of wings.

Then again, if I absolutely, positively need a craft on draft, it's off to the (Ye Olde) Falcon (Pub-49 taps).

34. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (460) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Cheers to this! I do this every time we go somewhere where I know won't have anything but BMC and Coronas. If it is a nicer engagement (a wedding or engagement party for example) I just bring a cooler in the car and go outside to get a great beer. No harm, no foul.

35. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (835) California Nov 16, 2009

I should show my wife your profile and say see, girls like beer. Shes killing me.

Cheers!

36. Larrygto

Larrygto Aficionado (230) Arizona May 28, 2012

Are you a Beer snob if people don't bring beer to your house because they're afraid you wont like what they bring?

Bugs318, luwak, acevenom and 2 others like this.
  37. I was a little embarrassed at a reuinion with my brother and nephew who I had not seen in over 8 years. (I left town just before I really started to geek out on beer.) I dont remember what beer I bought or how much it was, but just that it was something craft and it cost more than it cost my brother for his guinness. They gave me crap for paying so much for a beer, but hey I like trying new beers and it was the only thing that interested me at the bar. Then I asked my brother how much was the most he ever paid for a bottle of wine being that he is a wine geek...then I think he got it.

luwak likes this.
  38. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Savant (275) Michigan Sep 11, 2008

Buffalo Wild Wings around MI are pretty decent. They usually have a few bells, founders, and short's on tap. Last time I went to the one by my house and asked what Bells they had on tap, the server said "Amber ale and..uh.. Black Note". :eek: 5 bucks for a 10 oz pour, not bad BWWs, not bad.

craigo19 and Dope like this.
  39. The only "snobish" thing I have caught myself doing, is taking not only taking a selection of beers to a buddy's place, but I've also taken along the appropriate glassware.

When I was in San Antonio in October last year, I went to this place called World of Beer, or something like that. It was pretty damn cool, had a load of taps, some good local craft that I'd never had so mainly focused on that, but it also had about 6 coolers of beer behind the bar that you could order to take out, or drink in the bar.

The place was packed and I was standing next to a guy that was making no excuse for taking up far too much room at the bar than he needed, thus causing people to reach around or over him to order. Well, this one guy comes in and is reaching around this kid to get served. He said he wanted whatever beer was "most like guinness" and then he wanted something like a Bud Light for the woman he was with. The bartender politely said that they didn't have Bud Light and before he could make a recomendation, this kid at the bar scoffs "they don't have that shit, only good beer!" WHile he chortled and shook his head tucking his chin into his neck making him look like a smug mother f**ker. I wasn't sure if the dude ordering, or the bartender wanted to smack him more.

40. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Must be owned by an American lol cheers